Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... got my '08 Custom with the V&H on it already and the previous owner removed the baffles... can't get them either. V&H sells them, of course, but has anyone else tried running with and then without to see how the bike runs??

Also... would the Hard Kore Baffles ALONE be enough to drop the dBs a little and get some ooomf back? they do bolt on to the exhaust where the stockers went so they are independent of the original baffles (can be installed with or without but is it worth it?)

thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
When I took the baffles off mine I didn't experience any power loss at all. But it was so freaking loud that neither me or my friends could handle when riding next to me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think making a 'cone' from exhaust pipe reducers at the local parts store might work. Match the ID of your pipes to the OD of the reducer, and of course reduce it down as much as you want for sound and to tune backpressure.

Just make sure you have a way to remove them. I think a loooooong screwdriver/brake line with a kink at the end would work to pull the thing out to add/subtract 'reducers'.

When you're happy with it have the reducers welded together (a couple short stitch welds would probably work for each seam), paint it black,and make sure it's installed securely (2 small self tapping metal screws going up from the bottom/bike side of pipe).

----------how it reduces sound-----------
First of all, using the smaller reducers will reduce the megaphone effect of pipes, and if they're inserted with the 'small end' toward the engine, it'll create a sort of resonance chamber where the exhaust sound waves will bounce around and cancel/reduce each other out (similar to a flowmaster).

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks chevelle... not sure i have seen the reducers at pep boys or any other place but then again i never looked?!?!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I removed the baffles from my stock pipes and stated that I felt power loss. Alot of people dont believe it, and think I am wrong, but No Matter if its stock or V and H pipes, with no baffles I believe you will get loss of HP

·
Registered
711 Posts
I removed the baffles from my stock pipes and stated that I felt power loss. Alot of people dont believe it, and think I am wrong, but No Matter if its stock or V and H pipes, with no baffles I believe you will get loss of HP
I'm sure you do loss some power due to no back pressure but in my case not enough to notice. But then again I have a PCIII so not sure if that's why.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
might be tom... i like the sound of the pipes for the most part, when you jam on them it gets a little too much but over all nice... way too loud coming home at 10PM though?!?!?

i think i am going to try just using the Hard Kore Quiet Baffles and see what they do... i still want a BAK and i know once that goes on i'll need the PCIII or Cobra one?!?! decisions decisions...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts