Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to find a set of slip ons for my 14 vaquero and thought I had found the ones that I wanted

the vance and hines twin slash rounds part # 18371

so, just doing my homework, i emailed V&H and asked them to confirm that they would fit my bike as their website didn't have anything for a 2014 model. this is their response

"Unfortunately it will not fit your model as Kawasaki installed O2 sensors on 2014 and later model bikes."

so... has anyone used this slipon for a 14 or newer vaquero???

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is the right part number. I have them on my 2014 Vaquero. They were really easy to put on and sound great!

I don't think the O2 sensor is on 2014 models. It wasn't on mine. I believe that starts with 2015 models.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the right part number. I have them
I don't think the O2 sensor is on 2014 models. It wasn't on mine. I believe that starts with 2015 models.
how would I find out if I have the O2 sensor?

and why would vance and hines sales support say such a thing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
how would I find out if I have the O2 sensor?

and why would vance and hines sales support say such a thing?
You would have one of these going to your exhaust I believe on the right side.

I don't think they are on 2014's. There wasn't one on mine.

The V&H support person was misinformed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. i will have a look when I get home. this would be in the muffler part of the exhaust I assume?

and when you added these to you 14 vaquero, did you have to do anything else to make it run better?

lastly, how much louder are they then stock? I don't want to have it stupid loud but want a bit more meaty sound

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
thanks. i will have a look when I get home. this would be in the muffler part of the exhaust I assume?

and when you added these to you 14 vaquero, did you have to do anything else to make it run better?

lastly, how much louder are they then stock? I don't want to have it stupid loud but want a bit more meaty sound
Sensor is in the right side muffler, cable is connected under the side panel. Disconnect it and purchase an O2 sensor eliminator from ebay which plugs into the housing under the panel, works ok on my 2012 Nomad. My V & H rumble on acceleration but are reasonable when cruising- comes down to personal taste

·
Registered
105 Posts
V&H are just wrong. Kawi added the 02 Sensor for 2015 and later 1700's. And you have the correct part number. As many people have learned, V & H customer service sucks. No modifications will be necessary for you to use the Slash Cuts.

·
Registered
38 Posts

If you want to make it run better after putting on the V&H slip-ons get your ECU flashed by Ivan. That will make the biggest difference in performance. I would also add a BAK. I have Chuskster's and like it for the price and that it keeps the stock appearance.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
He is in Canada, may have the O2 sensor, but not sure. It should be just in front of the muffler body, in the pipe that is part of the muffler if there is one. If your intake is 100% stock, you should not need anything else, but it would still benefit from added fuel. If I were to do it again, I would go with the Ivan's flash of the computer. Most all BAKs will increase the intake noise. Some dont mind, some dont care for it.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
Correct there is no O2 sensor on the 14. I just ignored what they said and bought them anyway. Installs in about 10 minutes.

With stock intake you'll be fine, with K&N filter you'll get some limited decel popping. Once you add the intake, you'll need either Ivan's re-slash or a Power Commander.

DynoJet supplied mine already mapped for the V&H plus Thunder Mfg intake when i bought it. They called me to ask me what I planned to install. Or you can Dyno it.

If you get Ivan's re-flash, which you should...you may not need the PCV at all. I just sent mine in, so I'll know for sure next week after Ivan recieves it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2016 Voyager and would like to use these same slip-ons. I spoke with Vance and Hines this morning. The response I got was "we cannot say if that particular pipe will fit because we have not test fitted it yet". Hmmmmm.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from all my research... this will fit the 14 and older vaquero
starting in 2015, they put an O2 sensor in the exhaust and these slipons don't have that
some have taken the slipons and put them on a 15 or 16 vaquero, but had to cut and weld in a bung to accomodate the O2 sensor.
some have purchased an O2 eliminator from ebay

either way vance and hines needs to do a better job trying to sell us product!!!

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
My Nomad is 2012 & it had the O2 sensor in the pipe? Maybe this was a european/ sth east asia thing? Even my ECU has a number Ivan has not seen in the USA. Had the O2 eliminator in for over 6 months with no problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just at the Kawasaki dealer for oil change and he confirmed that the tri ovals cobra and these slash cuts from Vance and Hines will fit the 14 vaquero. No o2 sensor in my bike. They are still waiting for the new cobra pipes to come out that will be backward compatibility with 14 and older bikes

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just at the Kawasaki dealer for oil change and he confirmed that the tri ovals cobra and these slash cuts from Vance and Hines will fit the 14 vaquero. No o2 sensor in my bike. They are still waiting for the new cobra pipes to come out that will be backward compatibility with 14 and older bikes

The last time I spoke to V & H around 2 months ago they had no intention at that time to retrofit their pipes for an 02 Sensor like Cobra has. Seems to me they're losing out on alot of business.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess they figure there are not that many choices out there so people will either weld in the O2 bung other get the elimator.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a follow up. My Vance and Hines 18371 slip ons arrived Friday via courier. About an hour and I had these bad boys on my ride. When I started it up after installing it was quite a difference. Nice low thump. Went for a ride and loving it. Few more heads turn when run thru town.
All good. No o2 sensor. Thx for everyone's feedback and advice

·
Registered
78 Posts
Vance and Hines customer service may not be the best but there products have always been right by me. its pretty simple install the pipe and leave the o2 sensor out, yes there is a o2 eliminator that you can purchase but I don't think its needed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just a follow up. My Vance and Hines 18371 slip ons arrived Friday via courier. About an hour and I had these bad boys on my ride. When I started it up after installing it was quite a difference. Nice low thump. Went for a ride and loving it. Few more heads turn when run thru town.
All good. No o2 sensor. Thx for everyone's feedback and advice

A video, so we can hear how she sounds, would be awesome!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts