Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just bought a 2012 nomad yesterday, and it has the vance and hines twin slash round slip on mufflers. They sound great at highway speed/lower rpm, but at lower speeds and higher rpm(before shifting) they are too loud. I know it has some sort of baffle in it, but is there some other type of baffle I can put in it to quiet it down some? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the V&H slash cuts I put on my 14 vaquero were loud as well, so I thought I would remove the baffles and wrap them

bought muffler packing material, and got the baffles out (after a bit of work), and found out that the baffles are already wrapped.....

so.... put them back in.

any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Was wondering the same thing for Cobra 4230 pipes. If I don’t include some headphones or some form of hearing protection I end up with a pounding headache.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This may sound crazy but I want mine louder at low speed. ��. I’d rather they sound like my old Ironhorse or my sons HD but really only get that at high rpm like accelerating onto freeway, passing, etc. I do a lot of “in town” riding and need the db’s to ward off lane jumpers. Any thread with a how to video on removing the baffles and making them louder? I’ve been Ivanized so wondering what this would do to the flash they did on my ECU?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Get an air horn. I had a guy almost run me off the road with my loud pipes and stock horn going full blast. $16 bucks on ebay

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 4" slash-cut Classic II's on my 2008 Nomad and am preparing to re-pack them (I hope). I have purchased the large V&H fiberglass packing kits online from Cycle Gear, and invested in a slide hammer to reach inside and bump out the baffles. There are no V&h tools available.

I just talked to V&H a minute ago. There has never been a Quiet Baffle for the 4" OD slash cut system. "Spray the end cap with WD40 to dissolve/loosen some of the carbon, wait a few minutes, then tap and pull it out" they say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Loud pipes and re-packing

I pulled the V&H baffles from my recently acquired 2008 Nomad (with only 28,000 miles) to re-pack them a quieter ride. Needed a slide hammer to remove the baffles. There was nothing wrong with the packing, so I put it all back. Supposedly, there is no FuelPak adjustment that will affect the noise.
Anybody want to buy some official V&H packing kits, along with some extra fiberglass packing? Invested $3.00 in a pack of ear plugs instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There was a trick on the Gadget page about toning down the V&H baggers on the 1500 and 1600 Nomads with a cut washer welded into the baffles. I pulled the baffles to do the same, but the baffle is significantly different on the slip ons for the 1700's. I have an idea I'm going to with bigger washers, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Our last 1000 mile trip a few weeks ago cemented in our minds though that they NEED to be toned down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks. It's a GREAT site!

Since I don't have the shop access, I must visit the Harley dealer and see if I can make a deal with their parts disposal and service techs - or find someone who can do the muffler swap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Slide Hammer

Anyone have a tutorial or video instructions for removing slash cut V & H baffles?? There have been a couple of posts on this thread referencing using a slide hammer but I can't find anything on YouTube other than straight shot which is SUPER easy apparently. :) Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I pulled the baffles out on my 1600 Nomad after buying a slide hammer and hook attachment on Amazon (didn't need one quite as big as I got - Harbor Freight next time). I thought they needed repacking, but there's such a small baffle that it wouldn't have mattered. They didn't need re-packing anyway. The baffles aren't that hard to pull out, just tricky to hook in back so you can do it, but the slide-hammer helps - a lot.

I'm replacing the loud V&H Classic II slip-ons with stock H-D take-offs that I found on ebay for $20 (see Vulcan Gadgets Fixit Page For Kawasaki Nomad & Classic Modification Maintenance & Repair) to reduce the noise - which means that I also have to re-set the FuelPak - or in your case re-Ivanize the CPU.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Other than the original Kawasaki exhaust slip-ons, if you want quiet - then the stock HD slip-ons will sound good...if they will fit. They weigh more than Vance & Hines, but give a great sound, for those who like quiet power. I had V&H on a couple of my Vulcans, but had to find a stock exhaust system (take-offs) for my wife's 1600 Classic. It had Big Shot, Long Shots on it when we got it - sounded like it was idling in a barrel! The stock exhaust was much better sounding, but I had to go back to stock mapping on it ( took off the Fuel Pack).
I always used (or converted back to) stock on my HDs. Most Harley folks thought I was weird, but I love the look and sound of all of the stock HD mufflers. If they will fit, I think you'll like your HD take-offs...Just a thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I had been debating whether or not to just take off the FuelPak instead of re-programming it. I'll just take it off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts