Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna put new pipes on my '09 Vn 900 Custom. I want something louder, with a nice deep, throaty sound. The V & H pipes are extremely cheap as far as price, so I think I am gonna go with those. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the V & H pipes have removeable baffles? Also if anyone has any ideas for reasonably priced pipes ( I dont wanna spend more than $500) that sound good, let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought the cobra slashdowns and they have a good sound,my friends ride Harleys and said they like the sound the cobras have.I got them from Dennis Kirk for about 467 I think.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have V&H on my 900 and very happy with them. The baffles are removable but man you will probably go to hell if you take them off. I've never seen a louder bike until I took mine off and at the end of the day I just had to put them back. Neither my crew or my self could handle them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got the Vance and Hines on my 09 Classic. Nice deep loud sound and that's with baffles in. I think they be too loud with out.

Sound and price you can't go wrong unless you want a 2n1 pipes or something with little more styling.

Just my 2 cents.

Frank

·
Registered
742 Posts
got the vances on my 08 custom and they are BAFFLE-LESS!!! friggin' loud!!! but... they sound awesome and if there was an easy way to drop in and take out the Hard Kore Quiet Baffles I would buy them... i haven't gotten tired of the loudness yet, but that may come to an end if the neighbors start complaining!

i had cobra sweeps on my classic... the vances are definitely better sounding and overall better looking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
V&H on '09 900 custom

I bought V&H for my '09 custom. I run the bike with TFM fuel manager. I am happy with them, but they dont have as deep a rumble as the roadhouse 2 into 1 I had on my '06 1600 classic, or the reinharts I have on my '10 harley triglide ultra. I am in the process of having scootworks front and rear sprockets put on the bike to lower the rpm at speed. I will probably marble the bike after that, because it backfires if you dont back down completely in each gear when stopping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you know what the dba setting for the V&H pipes/Cobra are with the baffles in? CT just started pulling bikes over for loud pipes, $500 ticket. I've been thinking out getting pipes for my 09 Classic, but not at the expense of a hefty ticket.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you know what the dba setting for the V&H pipes/Cobra are with the baffles in? CT just started pulling bikes over for loud pipes, $500 ticket. I've been thinking out getting pipes for my 09 Classic, but not at the expense of a hefty ticket.
It only applies to pipes without baffles and straight pipes.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Loud+pipes+on+motorcycles+will+draw+fines+in+Milford&articleId=53aa1c08-aebc-4f64-a370-0158b75844ec

The Vance & Hines pipes should not get you a ticket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I go with the V & H pipes, is a fuel processor required? and are these pipes considered "Slip-ons?"

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I go with the V & H pipes, is a fuel processor required? and are these pipes considered "Slip-ons?"
These are not slip ons - they are a full exhaust system. If you change the air filter (recommended) - you need a fuel processor - if you just change the pipes, you don't.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help guys.... Im gonna go with the V & H pipes, and I found them for less than $400..... thanks again!

·
Registered
711 Posts
^^
Yup, they are not slip ons, they are full exhaust.
A fuel processor is not needed by changing only the pipes but all manufactures do recommend it, even the ones that don't make fuel processors.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Pipes

I wanted the "pro-street" look for my 900 C so I went with 2into1 Cobra Boulevard Hp pipes. Louder than I expected, but the sound is incredible. Edmonton Alberta Canada just enacted a Motorcycle ONLY noise bylaw which calls for ridiculously low Dbs at idle and 2000 rpm (even stock Harleys fail), and my 900 fails on both sides. (There are roads all 'round the outside of Edmonton:cool:). I don't run a processor and I did put a Baron Big Air kit on the bike. There are no ill effects, I run regular gas, no back fire or lag, bike still runs a tad rich under hard acceleration (workin' hard with a 275 lb load):D

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered the V & H pipes today from my dealer... Just waiting for them to come in, and I will post back after I have them installed. Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up the pipes this morning, and I installed them in a bout an hour and a half. I was very surprised how easy the installation was, considering I'm the furthest thing from a mechanic lol. Anyway, the pipes look great and sound even better. After hearing them with the baffles, I couldnt even imagine what they sound like debaffled, I might have to try that though. I did have one issue. The connection at the header and the pipe did not fit as well as the stock pipe. The instructions had said to use the stock bolts, and i did, but they only went maybe a turn or two before they were tight. Has anyone else had this issue, and is it necessary to use longer screws? It seems to be working fine, I just dont want the vibrations from the bike to make the screws come out. Any help wouild be awesome!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same issue. Make sure you tighten after the next several rides. Also, did you get new crush gaskets from teh dealer?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didnt get any gaskets from the dealer. And is that how you solve the issue, just tighten it up every couple rides?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts