Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just changed to Valvoline 4T 10w 40 full synthetic in my 1600 Classic ...
Also went to a Purolator Pure One PL14610 oil filter for a touch more filter media and more oil capacity ...

I haven't put very many miles on yet...
Only about 50-70 miles on a single ride ...

So far, I'm extremely impressed with the positive difference in shifting, both up and down...

Clutch actuation is enhanced...
Not as "sticky" ...

Cam chain auto tensioners are significantly quieter also...

Overall, very happy with the Valvoline 4T 10w 40 !!!

Best 39 buck oil and filter investment so far !!!

Seemed to get BETTER toward the end of my ride...:cool:
Didn't want to head home...Dang it !!!

YMMV
Luckymann77

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
L77, was gonna second yor recommendation 4T syn race oil in my Injun worx fine.. but then realized yor pushin valvolean.. wher as I gott mobil 1. probly not a cent worth of diff. just wattever is available and worx 4u.. mobil 1 in all my sleds.. cept the goose, she needs something.. more hevy duty, 10-60 is rare=$. so am gonna try a case of amsoil strate 60w this summer. poncho

·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep.
My impressions on the Valvoline 4T...

39 bucks included changing the filter and sales tax too ...
Local "on the shelf" availability and value were driving my decision.
Price of Valvoline at 7.62 qt. at Wallyworld vs 9.99 qt for Mobil 1
and Castrol RS ...

Not debating brand loyalty at all ...
Lots of opinions there ...

Amsoil crows the most about shearing and viscosity breakdown...
100% syn vs Fully syn ...
So they are best, right ???

Just sharing the Valvoline experience ...
Excellent value is definitely there ...
Highly recommended !!!

YMMV ...

Luckymann77

·
Registered
394 Posts
Also went to a Purolator Pure One PL14610 oil filter for a touch more filter media and more oil capacity
Personally, I've used more than a few different synthetics over the years (anyone who claims that dino oils are in any way the equal of or, heaven forbid, superior to synthetics, are utterly science-ignorant, completely delusional, or both), but have pretty much stuck with Valvoline 4T 20w-50 (I live and ride in a very hot climate) in my 1700 LT for a few years now, with overall superb results.

Your choice of filter is also a good one, with the Bosch 3323 another good choice at around $7.00 or a few pennies less on sale.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2010 900LT; I changed from Kawi 10/40 conventional oil to Mobil 1 20/50 mc oil at 20,000 miles. The Kawi oil seemed to degrade at about 1500 miles after each oil change. The clutch would become grabby plus increased engine drive train mechanical noise. So far the Mobil 1 has shown to be extremely superior, ie quieter engine, smoother clutch with 4000 miles so far on this oil. The only "problem" is that the clutch plates don't seem to fully disengage for the first shift into 1st after start up. After that, everything is perfect. I might change to Mobil 1 10/40 next time.

·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAD to get on the scooter yesterday...

50% chance of rain turned into 100% ...

Still lovin the Valvoline, though !!!

After some more research it appears it is a group III oil with some PAO added into the mix ...

The 1600 is lovin it too !!!

Seriously, anyone runnin dino oil needs to make the switch ...

Luckymann77

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yo, recently bought a bunch, like 30 or 40 quarts of bike synthetic from a stealer for whom it just didn't move. I got it for a decent price, maybe $6 a quart, or so, I forget exactly how much.... Some 10w40 and some 20W50. Most if not all is Suzuki brand.

only saying.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also just switched to Valvoline 4t at 5000 miles on my bike. Shifting is definitely smoother and the bike feels like is it just dialed in. Wally World always has it in stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just put some in my new to me 2009 Vulcan 900. My first oil change! The clutch is like butter now! Love it. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
2010 900LT; I changed from Kawi 10/40 conventional oil to Mobil 1 20/50 mc oil at 20,000 miles. The Kawi oil seemed to degrade at about 1500 miles after each oil change. The clutch would become grabby plus increased engine drive train mechanical noise. So far the Mobil 1 has shown to be extremely superior, ie quieter engine, smoother clutch with 4000 miles so far on this oil. The only "problem" is that the clutch plates don't seem to fully disengage for the first shift into 1st after start up. After that, everything is perfect. I might change to Mobil 1 10/40 next time.
Often the "4T" oils are geared towards sportbikes; you'll note the Mobil 1 and Valvoline 10W-40 bottles have sportbikes on the front instead of a Harley like the 20W-50. Believe it or not, those additive packages and formulas are probably better for our bikes than one geared for a "V-Twin". While our engines have two cylinders in a vee configuration, that's the only similarity to a Harley engine. Overhead cams, shared oil sump with transmission (that's where a LOT of the stress comes in) and so forth.

I've run Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Amsoil; all in 10W-40, all with great results. I have no real preference, though I buy the Amsoil by the case and get it pretty inexpensively that way. I run all 4 vehicles on Amsoil.

A lot of guys like to play chemist and 20W-50 is popular and is within 'range' of the owners manual, but me, personally, I've never felt the need. Seems to me that the extra thickness wouldn't do many favors for the camchain, camshafts, and other small, fast moving components. It's probably better for the transmission though. But I don't know that to be a fact; that's just my assumption. I just tend to stick with the manual recommendation of 10W-40. (Though the manuals do list 20W-50 as an acceptable grade; 10W-40 is listed as the recommended grade. )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also went to a Purolator Pure One PL14610 oil filter for a touch more filter media and more oil capacity ...

I haven't put very many miles on yet...
Only about 50-70 miles on a single ride ...

So far, I'm extremely impressed with the positive difference in shifting, both up and down...

Clutch actuation is enhanced...
Not as "sticky" ...

Cam chain auto tensioners are significantly quieter also...

Overall, very happy with the Valvoline 4T 10w 40 !!!

Best 39 buck oil and filter investment so far !!!

Seemed to get BETTER toward the end of my ride...:cool:
Didn't want to head home...Dang it !!!

YMMV
Luckymann77
I did my first oil change on my new to me at the end of october last year. I put in Kawasaki full synthetic and a kawi filter. It definitely seemd to be a little smoother, cut down on the clunking a little. Will see how it holds up when it gets to be 100 degrees and lots of miles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I use Mobile One 4T 10w40, just telling members that it is on sale for $8.99 a qt at Advanced Auto Parts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Put mobil1 4t synthetic 10w40 in mine. Bought 2 Cases (12 litres) for $100 Canadian shipped at walmart.ca on black Friday. Haven't actually ridden the bike yet since changing the oil, it'll be spring soon and I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs

Not sure what garbage the previous owner put in but it was black when I emptied it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The filter I used was k&n

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just went to the Valvoline 4t 10w40 full synthetic, and Bosch filter on my 1500 Classic, used Lucas last year, and Have a couple hundred miles on it now, and like it alot more than the Lucas stuff. no complaints here!

·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a deal ... 5.33 per quart.
Mobil One is great stuff but I believe no better than the Valvoline 4T...
Certainly not at 9.95 per quart, thats 47% more expensive, nearly twice the price.
The boys in Ashland got it right in the Valvoline 4T.

YMMV
Luckymann77

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, my experience after purchased new years ago, was after 500 mile break in, I used dino. Then synthetic for the next few. Then did the Rotella T6. I couldn't tell the difference due to going iridium plugs (which I broke in the cylinder- another story...their real soft metal is all I can say) but went back to synthetic due to they slushy gearing I experienced with Rotella
The synthetic feels more like it imho

1 - 20 of 20 Posts