Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 Custom has an annoying leak that I`m sure is from the valve stem. I have checked the tire repeatedly and there is nothing that I have found. The valve stem is so loose on the rear rim it takes both hands to check and inflate the tire.
The pressure drops to about 15psi and then holds there. I check it before every ride anyway, but man this is annoying!
Does anyone know the diameter of the mounting hole for the valve stem, I know I can put a better stem in there, just don`t want to buy a bunch of various diameter stems that will go to waste.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
My 09 Custom has an annoying leak that I`m sure is from the valve stem. I have checked the tire repeatedly and there is nothing that I have found. The valve stem is so loose on the rear rim it takes both hands to check and inflate the tire.
The pressure drops to about 15psi and then holds there. I check it before every ride anyway, but man this is annoying!
Does anyone know the diameter of the mounting hole for the valve stem, I know I can put a better stem in there, just don`t want to buy a bunch of various diameter stems that will go to waste.
Thanks
Try a pan of dish soap and water sponged over the tire including the stem and see where the air is coming from.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Have the stem replaced as soon as possible. I had the same problem for the last few months, a couple weeks ago it decided to fail at 70mph on the freeway, sudden rapid deflation was no fun at all. Mine was the original stam with about 33000 miles on it, what had happened was the rubber ripped on the rim side. I had soaped it before but never found anything, after getting towed home I removed the rear wheel and submerged it in a tank of water, still no leak, so how the heck does a tire suddenly go flat? Push down on the tip of the stem and bingo, its leaking like a sive from the back side. My best guess is that because of the bent stem, centrifugal force pulls down on stem stressing the rubber while riding at speed, opening the crack more the faster I went. I decided I will be having the stem replaced with each new tire, don't want to experience that ever again.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Have the stem replaced as soon as possible. I had the same problem for the last few months, a couple weeks ago it decided to fail at 70mph on the freeway, sudden rapid deflation was no fun at all. Mine was the original stam with about 33000 miles on it, what had happened was the rubber ripped on the rim side. I had soaped it before but never found anything, after getting towed home I removed the rear wheel and submerged it in a tank of water, still no leak, so how the heck does a tire suddenly go flat? Push down on the tip of the stem and bingo, its leaking like a sive from the back side. My best guess is that because of the bent stem, centrifugal force pulls down on stem stressing the rubber while riding at speed, opening the crack more the faster I went. I decided I will be having the stem replaced with each new tire, don't want to experience that ever again.
Hi Richard, that is really valuable information, thanks. That's gotta be what's happening to the OP. Here's something I planned on doing when I get around to replacing my tires. I have an 85* angled valve from Kurveygirl.com that I will replace the OEM one with. It's stainless steel with two locking nuts to keep it firmly attached to the wheel. You might check out their website.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
That's a cool product, i've been looking for something to do that.
Khab khun, Khraap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richard
That makes perfect sense as my valve stem is so flimsy and I was drawing the conclusion that it was leaking near the grommet at the base some how.
Now that I know your`s has failed, no waitng around, I`m getting the locking nut type asap. I can make this change myself as I have the resources available to me. Thanks for sharing, man that must have been a real" seat creaser" moment when it failed!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Kurveygirl valve stem fit

Hey guys, I may be giving you some bad info here regarding Kurveygirl valve stem replacements. I have in front of me an OEM valve stem and the dimension of the rubber grommet would indicate the hole in the wheel is around 14mm. I measured the Kurveygirl and it's much smaller, 11.5mm. I would certainly give them a call before ordering the 85* stems to see if they have the proper grommets to fit our bikes. I'm terribly sorry if this has made a problem for anyone.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I didn't want to say anything, because I have no first hand knowlage. But when I asked the guy at my tire shop about a rigid stem, he said they have had problems with them leaking at the rim and suggested I stick with the rubber mounted one, so I did. The one that failed had a lot of miles on it, I think if a new one goes on with each new tire, should not have any issues in the future.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a close look at stems atan online retailer, they have a few varieties. I ordered the rigid mount, but they come with a two piece grommet to fit into the mounting hole. One grommet is flat and the other will actually go down into the hole and when tightened up will seal against the bottom, but either grommet will also be pulled up tight to the in and outside of the rim. My front has one on it allready from the factory. If the stock rear stem wasn`t so loose and flimsy in it`s mount, I wouldn`t bother. I guess I could always make this my dealers headache, over and over and over!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The valve stems are due to arrive next Tuesday, and the plan is to install one next weekend, but you know how plans can go. I will keep you posted with some pics.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, serve me the Humble Pie now!
My valeve stems arrived today , so I took everything apart to install them and once I got the tire off the rim, there it was as big as day, a nail!
Now I did get bubbles from around the stem when checking it and spraying it with water, but now I must doubt the severity of that leak around the stem.
To my defense, once the nail was removed, it had no head on it and was pushed quite a ways down into the tire and I just didn`t see it!
I`ll still post some pics once the new stems are in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, here is the rigid mount, it has held the pressure overnight, so I`m ready to roll. It`s a little tough to get at, but much better than that flimsy POS Kawi had on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts