Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 900 classic that i really like... this is my problem the valves to me started to get a little loud...never heard this before valves were always quiet... the bike has never had the valves done (27000km)so i take it to the dealer an told him to do the valves...I pick the bike up later that afternoon i go to pay for it an they tell me the valves are within spec.talked to the guy that worked on the bike... who i know very well.... an he told me they were on the tight side of spec....is this normal to hear the valves tapping a little while driving on the 900 this happend on other time an they told me to go to a heaver oil witch i did...20w50 seemed to go away for a while but now the bike has more miles on it ...I am running molbil 1 v twin 20w50 synthetic
thanks for any help
Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 06 classic has clickity-clack. I bought mine from the dealer, it was his personal bike. He has owned three Vulcan 900's. He says all 900s make that sound. I guess it in the design.

Anywho, personally I notice the tapping at different times. I'm sure it's always there but depends on where my mind is. If they say it's spec then what more assurance can you have?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Vulcans are known to sound like swein machines so a little of noise is normal. Usually aftermarket pipes hide this issue. If your ticking is still loud even with aftermarket pipes then you may want to try a thiner oil like the 10-40 or 15-40. I once tried Mobil 1 20-50 and the ticking on top of the engine and the tranny clunk became louder so after about 1000 miles I went back to 10-40 and all the noises went back to normal. Now running 15-40 and bike sounds and runs very smooth.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The "ticking" is inherent to the bike. One thing I have learned.....the nine hates to be lugged. Rev it high, it is not a bike that likes to be "chugged" around. The wife and I recently did a 1200 km trip, and, there were some technical spots. There were times when I had the nine in third and the ticking was crazy. I had to shift to second and the tick went quickly away. Try being in fourth when you want to be in fifth etc....and the tick becomes WAY more manageable.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Curious... I have the same ticking and thought I had screwed up my ride. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I took a mellow ride to Lake Tahoe to get out of the Sacratomato heat. I rode pretty mellow and had no ticking that day. I'm using the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil, but had it with other grades/weights of oil so I'll stay with what I'm using.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts