Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have the cylinder head covers taken off and I have the front cylinder on TDC and I am looking at the Valves.

Now comes my dumb question, Which are the Exhaust and Inlet on the front and rear cylinders.

·
Registered
369 Posts
be carefull if you have to change your valves, put a lint free rag down the well so you cant drop a shim in there.. and what ever you do, when your putting the valve covers back on, dont overtighten the bolts that go into the cam cover. i broke off a bolt in ther 3 weeks ago and i had to put a helicoil in there to fix it, it sucked

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the exhaust valves are the valves on the same side as your exhause port (your pipes) come out.
Thats what I thought when I went back out to look. The inlets are the interior valves and the exhaust are the outer valves.

Thanx.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next question.

At first I could not get the feeler guage to slide in then when I decided to turn the altermator rotor bolt several times around and returned the front cylinder to TDC the rockers arms were now movable. Is this normal??

·
Registered
369 Posts
oh god, did you line up the line on the cam to the head. there is a line on the cam, and when its at tdc, it wil be parelel to the head. you really dont need to pull of the alt cover to put it at top dead center

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only removed the Outer Alternator cover which gets me to the Timing Inspection Plate. I removed the 3 bolts of the Inspection Plate and the Alternator Rotor Bolt is to the left and the timing marks are to the right when you turn the bolt counter clockwise.

I found that I had to turn several revelutions to get the rocker arms to loosen up when I was at front or rear TDC.

·
Registered
369 Posts
yeah, thats what the manual tells you, but what it fails to tell you is that you also have to line up the mark on the cam sprocket to the top of the cylinder head. the cam sprocket is the round sproket that has the chain on it, look on the side of it and it will have a line on it, line that up with the cylinder head and you will be at perfect top dead center

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, thats what the manual tells you, but what it fails to tell you is that you also have to line up the mark on the cam sprocket to the top of the cylinder head. the cam sprocket is the round sproket that has the chain on it, look on the side of it and it will have a line on it, line that up with the cylinder head and you will be at perfect top dead center
Thats right. I remember now that I had to do that on my Yamaha when I had it. Thanx.

·
Registered
941 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts