Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone checked a Vulcan S for valve clearance yet?
I'm coming up to the next major service and going to get a mobile mechanic to come over my place and do it while I have it all stripped down changing plugs and cleaning filter as I have done myself multiple times in the past.

I'm interested to know what sort of wear others found.
Vulcan S is famous for running lean AFR and I have also had a cat free exhaust fitted for most of the bikes life. This is rumoured to make the bike run even leaner. I guess it should show on the exhaust valve clearance but it would be good to see results from other people to compare.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I don't have the sheet that I wrote my exact clearances on anymore, but I was still within tolerance for all valves when I did mine. At that point it had been about half its life full stock, and the 2nd half with a Delk exhaust and a PCV with the fuel and ignition maps slightly adjusted.

Order the valve cover gasket LONG before you want to do the job, it took Kawi 7 weeks to get me mine.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the sheet that I wrote my exact clearances on anymore, but I was still within tolerance for all valves when I did mine. At that point it had been about half its life full stock, and the 2nd half with a Delk exhaust and a PCV with the fuel and ignition maps slightly adjusted.

Order the valve cover gasket LONG before you want to do the job, it took Kawi 7 weeks to get me mine.
Thanks for the reply.
Yup already have cover gasket and there were some other bolt gaskets I ordered too.
How many kms had you done full stock before you checked?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I had about 11,500 kms full stock, and probably another 13,000 kms-ish after mods. The US models have shorter service intervals then everyone else, who knows. I'll actually be at the second round of valve clearance check soon, guessing I should find that 2nd gasket I ordered.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From memory the service limit is 42,000km but I've been putting it off until the major service at 48,000km.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts