Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing a valve clearance check on my '05 800 with 29,500 miles, previous owner did this job 4,100 miles ago, and have a question.
Do I have to remove the spark plugs or can I leave them in and get the cylinder head covers up and over the plugs?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh wait, someone just told me that I will fight with compression turning the crank over if I leave the plugs in

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in my theory, if I were to leave the plugs in and hand turn the crankshaft over slowly to get piston at TDC, compressed air should slowly expel out thru the rings right?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just finished checking the front cylinder shims, the intake ones were fine and just changed the exhaust ones to smaller shims, and I left the plugs in and turned the crank and it was easy to do, very little effort turning the crank

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i left the rear plug in and then turned the crank counter-clockwise over to the R mark on the crank wheel, easy as pie, now going to check the rear cylinder shims

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Job report on front cylinder valve clearance check:
I used a metric feeler gauge set from NAPA with .02 to .10mm,15,20,25,30mm in the set, and found those worked out ok. The IN shims were in specs for the front with 0.10 being good and 0.15 being tight so the IN shims were left unchanged for the front. For the front EX I put in smaller 2.30mm shims for both right and left sides, (with 0.20 being good to slightly loose and 0.25 being ok for the right side EX) and (0.20 good to slightly loose and 0.25 being slightly tight for the left side EX).
I didn't remove the front cylinder igniter unit when taking off the front head cover, I just pulled out the plug wire from the front plug and left the plug in, also I didn't remove the carb either from the boot. For rad hoses I had drained all the rad fluid at the bolt on the right side near the oil drain bolt under the motor, I removed the 2 - 10mm bolts holding the thermostat unit and the single 8mm bolt holding the Y connector at the frame, I left the rad hose connected at the rear cylinder block and just disconnected that hose at the Y, and for the front block rad hose I disconnected at front block and then lifted up the whole rad hose unit up out of the way and rested it on top of the frame. I don't know why it was so easy turning the crank with both plugs left in, but it was. I plan to do the rear valve clearance check next.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found that the rear cylinder head cover came out on the left side back-end first with a little patience.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is compression bad? it ran fine last time I was on it

·
Registered
234 Posts
is compression bad? it ran fine last time I was on it
You tell me ;)
As Venom831 said, if You do not remove Your spark plugs, the crank turns much harder. Therefore it should be normal to remove them.
I don't say that Your compression is bad. I'm just curious, why it was so easy... If the bike runs well, just forget about it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
maybe there's a leak somewhere, I don't know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts