Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 900LT and I'm pretty good at getting the recommended service on it when I need to. As you all know it's freakin expensive! I want to make sure I'm not being taken to the cleaners. I'm going to get my next service soon. 20,000 miles. How can I tell if I need a valve adjustment or not? I don't want to pay for it if I don't need it. Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
The manual calls for a valve adjustment at 15,000 miles. There really isn't any way to find out whether or not you need it. The dealer will raise the tank and remove the valve covers, then measure your valve lash. The 900 uses shims in various sizes (cost about $5 each) to get the proper adjustment. I just asked my mech what it costs and he told me about $125 for the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well, I've never actually had valve problems, so if there is a noise I can't tell you what it might be. Many owners go in for the adjustment and don't need anything done. Some may have one or two that's slightly out of whack. Haven't heard of anyone needing all of them done. As for the price, remember that's MY mechanics quote for just the valve check. Shops vary.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I work on big marine diesels and you can tell quite readily when the lash on the valves gets excessive; however, they're only spinning at 400 R.P.M. flat out. If they're really bad on a bike engine you might be able to hear the clackety-clack noise but you'd have to really know your engine well to tell the difference, I would imagine. Personally, I think I would pay the cash and have peace of mind that my engine isn't going to destroy itself. Or take a motorcycle mechanics course at your local night school and learn to adjust them yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts