Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...I know from doing a search that valve adjustments have been discussed a lot, HOWEVER-

I'm considering several mid-size cruisers to replace my Vulcan 750. I'm looking at the VN900 Custom, the Suzuki C50 and the V-Star 950. The VN750 has hydraulic valve lifters and therefore does not require periodic valve adjustments, which is a really neat feature I wish more manufacturers would use. Anyway, I'm not really much of a wrench, but am also concerned about the frequency of complexity of the valve adjustments on the bikes I've listed because those factors directly relate to the expense of maintaining the bike.

By several accounts I've read, the C-50 valve adjustments are difficult because they are hard to reach and hard to check as well.

Don't know yet about the V-Star 950.

How about the VN900 Custom? How often does the manual call for a valve clearance check? How tough is it to do? Does it require a major teardown of the bike, or a simple tank removal?

Thanks in advance for all responses...

Bob

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think its every 23,000miles.So I haven,t done it yet but will probably do it this summer way before the 23,000 miles because I want to make sure they are not getting tight.From what I've read on here it does seam like a bit of a pain as the tops of they motor have to come off & there is something about coolant involved but should not be to bad if you can follow directions there is a thread on here about doing it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Every 15,000 miles (24,000km). I need to do mine, my dealer did it around 17,500. And it's not supposed to be that difficult BUT do make sure and put a rag in the top of the engine so you don't drop a shim down in the crankcase.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just did my own this weekend and it wasn't bad once you figure out how to get everything apart, but now I've got oil leaking from a tiny hole in the side of each jug and no idea why.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe I just figured out where my oil is coming from. There is an O-ring around the top of the tube that separates the plugs from the rest of the guts. When I put the cam covers back on I probably didn't get a good seal on these and the oil is getting into the plug chamber and runs out the hole that is bored out through the side of the jug. I'll have to take them off and try re-seating them tomorrow. Now that I've had it apart twice I can get to it in about 30 or 40 minutes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
yea, grom what other reading I've been doing. On 1600's or 1500's you'll get that leak when the cam chains will saw into the tube and the oil will leak through that hole.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Valve Adjustment Interval

I just completed the valve service check on my 900 Custom @ 19K miles vice the required 15K miles. Intake on both jugs were spot on, exhaust on both jugs were adjusted back to spec.
My question now is this, which I read some time ago from some other forum:
"The US spec for the 900 is to check the valves every 15,000 miles. Regardless of when it's done, it should only have to be done once." Is there any validity to this?

Also for you do it yourselfers, Hotcams sells a shim kit for about $80,
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cProducts.view&productid=509

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did my valve adjust at 13k and yes 2 exhaust valves off so very important to do at that 15k mark. As for the oil leak you have to relube them o rings around the spark plugs before you put it back together. as for how hard it is to do was very easy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did my valve adjust at 13k and yes 2 exhaust valves off so very important to do at that 15k mark. As for the oil leak you have to relube them o rings around the spark plugs before you put it back together. as for how hard it is to do was very easy.
Is there any instructions on this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just completed the valve service check on my 900 Custom @ 19K miles vice the required 15K miles. Intake on both jugs were spot on, exhaust on both jugs were adjusted back to spec.
My question now is this, which I read some time ago from some other forum:
"The US spec for the 900 is to check the valves every 15,000 miles. Regardless of when it's done, it should only have to be done once." Is there any validity to this?

Also for you do it yourselfers, Hotcams sells a shim kit for about $80,
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cProducts.view&productid=509
According to MOM, they need to be checked every 15,000 miles. Rule of thumb is if it gets too quiet they're getting too tight and need adjustment.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bama, do you have the Hotcams kit, and do the fit and measure properly?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased the hot cams kit and yes worked very well size and all. But only needed 2 shims out of the kit. Was very well worth the price of the kits nice be able to pull right out of the box and not having to go to dealer and hoping there have the size you need in stock and if there don't you will need to order the size and wait about two days to get in and if you do the job on the weekend there goes the weekend ride cause maybe by Tuesday there will have them in. As for the manual get it cause you will need all the tightening specs and will have all the pics you need and the step by step way to do it. Also look at it this way the kit will last you a life time for your 900 then when done with the bike sell the kit on ebay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got Hotcams kits HCSHIM10 and HCSHIM11. This gets you more shims in the range you need. And when I bought the second kit through Amazon I applied for their credit card and got an instant $40 gift card to apply to my purchase, so I got the second kit for free (I have no intention of using the credit card for anything else). If you buy HCSHIM02 you get a nice little case for all the shims but you also end up with a lot of shims in sizes that you'll never use. I think the smallest I used was 2.35 and the largest was 2.60. If you shop around you can get the Hotcams shims cheaper if you go somewhere besides Hotcams. Go figure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wish I was handier w/ a wrench. I read threads like this one, and it's all Greek to me. I know it costs me more, but I also know that, for me, work like this is best left to the experts. It'd cost me a heckuva lot more $$ in the end if I tried to do it myself...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Almost forgot order your kit though your dealer same price as on most internet sites its in there rockly tucker catalog and you pay no shipping charges bonus.And if need to know its the 9.48 mm shims was able to get my order from dealer in one day

1 - 20 of 26 Posts