Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
when putting the chrome valve covers back on, is there anything special you have to do to properly seat them or do you just simply fit them back over and bolt them back on?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was able to to just fit them back in, just don't forget the gasket and to tighten the bolts down. Had mine tightened too loose and oil seeped out. No problems after re-tightening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have over 29000 miles on my 2001 800A and never adjusted valves, bought brand new. Getting a little worried. Any idea how much dealer would charge?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
about 2.5 hours work by mechanic at their rate $35.00 per hour so around $115.00

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
about 2.5 hours work by mechanic at their rate $35.00 per hour so around $115.00
$35 an hour? I want to know where this is. I did my own maintenance, but would like to know. Anyway, a guy on one of the FB sites just had shop do his, think he said it was about $135 to do it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I want to know where this is.

South Africa

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
500 rand conversion to USD

·
Registered
119 Posts
Getting ready to have mine checked after 42,000 miles hope they are good. If so I might not worry about that anymore as long as she runs well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anyone have pictures of how the reed valves is orientated? I can't remember which direction the reed valve is supposed to go? Or does it matter because EPA is removed and covers are plugged. Also, any tip on how to remove the spark plug pipe from the cylinder head? Part number: 32151-1893 PIPE,PLUG. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Anyone have pictures of how the reed valves is orientated? I can't remember which direction the reed valve is supposed to go? Or does it matter because EPA is removed and covers are plugged. Also, any tip on how to remove the spark plug pipe from the cylinder head? Part number: 32151-1893 PIPE,PLUG. Thank you.
Looks like front opening towards left, rear towards right. The plug tubes just set in position with o-rings on both end.
Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 2005 VN800-B10 Vulcan 800 Classic CYLINDER HEAD COVER Diagram

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the diagram. I have been having trouble deattaching the tubes, when trying to get the cylinder covers off. The method I have been using is to put a plastic tool to tap the tube loose.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Doing the valves adjustment ...
This is my records, in 2014, 16.000 km ago, I adjusted the valves clearances, considering 0,20 - 0,25 for the exhausts valves. Now I want to change to 0,25 - 0,30, which, as I understood, is the "updated" value for the EX valves. As you can see from the table, only 2 valves (F2 & R1) has changed the value in 16.000 km.

I had some remaining shims from the previous adjustment (2014). Finaly, I need 3 new shims and I have a question : did anybody rectify (hope is the right word) the shim to get a smaller one ? I ask because I have a friend which is doing this everytime he needs a smaller shim.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
The SPEC, for EXHAUST valve clearance, has changed from 0,20-0,25 to 0,25-0,30, I think we all know this.
But does anyone know the reason why?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did not know that! I looked and my Clymer Service Manual has .25-.30, but Kawa has .20-.25. I used Kawa, the wrong number! I just did them 200 miles ago. I'll wait for another cold, rainy, boring day to recheck them. I just love rework, don't you?

Thanks for the info marcelm, but I do not know why they changed the specs; I did a brief internet search. Now you have me wondering.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Updated rev. of Kawasaki manual specifies larger clearance.
Sometimes Internet documentation can burn you if the older manual is displayed.

They probably opened up the clearance after finding the smaller one one was tightening up too quickly and could result in burned valves.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think there is no need to rework them. In my case, in 16.000 km, only two valves has changed the clearange and only with 0,05 mm. the rest of 6 remained the same. See my excel tabel in my post.

But, each bike is different, and if you realy like to do some work to the bike (LIKE ME) .... go for it.. :)

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
CAUTION: 800's have been known to drop valves, so to deviate on clearance and distance specifications is done at your own risk!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts