Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall

HOPE all is safe and well.

I recently changed out coolant, cleaned air filter, filled tires rear 32psi,26 front.
It got about 5k on it. But I drive around backroads so its not a stop sign every few blocks, but
not highway either. Anyway, my mpgs are not whats it cracked up to be.

Anything I can do to increase the mpgs a bit ( i know i should swap out the filter instead of cleaning it)
, maybe a spark plug change ?

anyfeedback would be great, thank you!

·
Registered
137 Posts
What mpg's are you getting? The mpg is mostly based on how you ride I get between 40-50 mpg 1 up depending on how i am riding. The biggest thing i have notice is i loose about 3 mpg when not running ethanol free fuel. I have pulled out spark plugs with 15k on them that look brand new and matched the gap i installed them with so that is unlikely the problem.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've only checked mileage a very few times, but get around 44 mpg on my classic LT. It does go down a bit above about 65 mph.

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
71 Posts
I calculate my mileage at every fill. I only manage around 35 -37 MPG on my 2020 LT. That's 90% highway traveling at around 65.

I'm hoping it's because I only have a little over 1000 miles on the clock and that it will improve as I break it in.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Completely stock setup, using the odometer, I never got less than 48 mpg. You didn't wet the air filter did you? 5k miles, it shouldn't have been too bad anyway. You may be riding in lower gears than you need to. What mileage are you getting and how are you calculating it?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I calculate my mileage by that little gauge and when my butt hurts. Guess I am one of those guys who just rides. Never checked fuel consumption on any motorcycle. 😳

·
Registered
137 Posts
I calculate my mileage by that little gauge and when my butt hurts. Guess I am one of those guys who just rides. Never checked fuel consumption on any motorcycle. 😳
I personally could care less about my mpg but used to keep track in-case something was wrong. I only check every 10 tanks or so now.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I also think the mileage depends on the fuel. It the alcohol content is high (up to 10 percent), the mileage will go down. If no alcohol is in the fuel, the mileage should be the highest. This would vary depending on location.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANKS for the back yall.
It's mostly 80 backroads driving 45mph, rest highway 60-65mph tops.
Extra notes:
I do accelerate kind of hard to 0-40/50mph, most times.
I seen a bit worse mpg since putting on the windshield.

I get about 135miles on 4/4.5 gallons give or take a few so maybe 40mpg or a bit less.
I am impressed some of yall are getting 45-50, which is what i expected I 'd get.

-no i didn't wet the filter, hand washed it soap and water, nothing harsh, dried it thoroughly, fluids all changed, tires good. mabye i shld jst get a new air filter jst2bsafe, any recomendations going with stock or kn filter?

lemme know, thanks!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
you might get a few more MPG if you increase your front/rear tire pressure from your current 26F/32R to 33F/37R

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You say you didn't wet the filter, then you say you used soap and water. Here's the problem. The filter element is paper. Paper is wood fibers mixed with water into a slurry, then pressed and allowed to dry. The filter traps particles in the air by have relatively consistent size openings throughout the paper. When you wet the paper, the fibers become loose and shift around. In some cases they create larger openings allowing larger particles through. In other cases they close up, restricting air flow. In either case, you've ruined the filter. Paper filters are not meant to be washed. They are single use and should be replaced.

·
Registered
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
15 Posts
I'm getting pretty consistently about 45 mpg (and with ethanol). With a windshield or without, 2 up or solo, going over 80 or keeping it under 70, i usually am within 43-47.

Although I do have my tires at 40 for the front and about 38 in the back. Also have stage 1 mods and iridium plugs. I'd try upping your tire pressure as a start, then maybe others from there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys!
meno- thats great 45mpgs with those variables.
Steve- I will get a new air filter as well.
I am a bit concerned with going that hi in PSI, that's a very hard tire, and I want some grip. Maybe I'll
try 30 in front/34 back?

·
Registered
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
15 Posts
The owner's manual actually suggests you do 40 in the front, but the back is suggested at 28-32 so I'm a bit high there.I've been running 40 in the front since I got it, and it's still under 2 of the max cold pressure on my tire sidewall (which aren't dunlops either). There's plenty of threads of suggested tire pressures you can look through for reference, but only you will know what feels right. Owners manual screenshot for reference below. Best of luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get about 180 miles until the light comes on. Filling up I get about 4 to 4.3 gallons so I get 41-45 mpg. I have 9k miles on it. Dan Moto exhaust cobra intake and cobra fi2000r. I live in the city so a lot of stop and go and highway miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts