Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall...

I want to put more deep rumble to the stock exhaust and was thinking about either a 'debaffle'
or slip ons which is easier, cheaper, and a bit more louder?

I ve seen utube debaffle job's and best thing is there free,
no parts needed, but can t count on a particular HD rumble and don't want to butch the stock exhaust unless
the slip on's arent worth it. I know new PIPES vans/hines are way out of my price range over 400$ eze.

What slip on's do ya'll recommend, and is it hard to put on ?

Just want the pro/cons to either set up?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you even spent some time looking for yourself for slip on's? There is one option out there and it is easy to find then read the installation instruction or youtube. This is a VN900 not a HD, if you want the HD rumble get a larger bike.

And again the proper abbreviation for Vulcan is VN.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Good point spencea15. Sometimes I wonder if people post before they make an attempt to solve their issues because it’s just easier. But will always help a fellow rider. Someday I may need some help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
To me, the de-baffle didn't have the tone that I was looking for, due to the existing crossover is was more of a steady drone than individual cylinders. I did the slip ons, for me it was a low risk gamble money wise if I didn't like them. They were better, but still a little tinny. I pulled the baffles and put one single layer of packing material around them. That gave me the more old school hot rod (cherry bomb if you prefer) sound I was looking for. But like others have said, if you want a rumble, you will need a bigger cc bike.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks gosupes, appreciate the input. which slip ons did you use&cost? Not sure what you mean by 'packing materials', tried to find it on utube but didn't see anything.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw, spencia, i trust the forum on their opinion of what they used first as best practice/feedback , before going in on a item w/o member testimonial. this is what partly forum is used for 2share ideas for VN900 i figure.

·
Registered
300 Posts
thanks gosupes, appreciate the input. which slip ons did you use&cost? Not sure what you mean by 'packing materials', tried to find it on utube but didn't see anything.
I installed the Baron slip ons.

The packing is sold in any motorcycle shop, used for repacking 4 stroke dirt bike and atv mufflers. It came in a roll, maybe 12" x 24" for about $10. More than enough to do 2 bikes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks gouspes!, we appreciate the links and it even came with instructions on repacking and installation, big help b4 i decided to go for it. quick ques. when you said you 'repacked' the new slip ons, did they have prior 'stock' repacking size and used better materials and they didn't come with any? i think i wana go with the repacking for the Harley 'popping sound' effects, right?

·
Registered
300 Posts
They didn't have any packing around the baffles in stock form. You will not get the Vulcan to sound like a Harley. The packing helped to get rid of the hollow sound exhaust note and give it a slightly deeper tone, but trying to get your bike to sound like a Harley isn't likely going to happen with any exhaust system.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks gosupes. did you have to up date ur fi map sensor , what is that? a fuel sensor or map air sensor, how do you even know you need one? when i was lookin at DAN MOTO pipes last month, they mentioned i might 'need' to upgrade the sensor.

wonder what labor it entails , tried searching the internet utube, nothing there. thanks guys

·
Registered
300 Posts
No sensor upgrade. You will need an external fuel tuner or have the ECU re-flashed when you start making mods to intake and exhaust. The ECU flash is the route to go, costs a little more than the tuner but runs way better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cobra dragsters are great sounding and had them on my 900 and was louder than most HD I was around. You do not need a fuel tuner or flash if your ONLY changing the pipes. If you change air intake, yes you will need a tuner or Ivan flash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys, so what does the ECU labor entail? do u hav2remove gas tank, any feedback on that?

so2confirm, the slipon exhausts, do not need any ecu and mapping sensors upgraded?

thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
The ECU is under the seat and fairly easy to get to. The general rule was that if you only did exhaust and nothing else, no fuel tuner or reflash would be needed. However, most bikes are tuned lean from the factory. Adding any mod to do with intake or exhaust will only make it leaner and adding both starts to create issues if you don't address adding more fuel. If you have future plans to add an intake system as well as exhaust, hold off on the ECU flash until then.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks gosupes, what about the FI (MAPING SENSOR ) I think they call it that when you get an exhaust they will say u need that changed, where is that located?...Or do they mean the ECU is the FI?

I also saw that changing to the SLIPONS is not eze, u have to cut the old pipe on, I believe and it does entail some labor, is that true? I thot you just slipped it on and bolted it?

thanks yall

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cut the old mufflers off, slip new mufflers over existing head pipe. Super easy with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel.

The fuel and timing map that gets reflashed is in the ECU. There is no "mapping sensor".

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks gosupes, i appreciate it. i have to get one of these slips on as i am not heard on highway, and think a louder exhaust is safer in some respect.
be safe!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Liondog, I do not want to start a debate about loud pipes but I want cation you. The exhaust directs most of the sound behind you and for the most part mainly people behind you will hear it. This is mainly important to consider at intersections. Again go louder but do not depend on the exhaust to save you.

Lets not start the load pipe debate my point is it should not be the only tool in our tool box and they have limitations.

PLEASE watch this video and learn from it. The biggest thing you can do is learn to ride like you a invisible but ride in a more predictable way increasing the likelihood of being seen.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you sir ''saccades'' , a word now , i won't forget. helpful vid.
quick ques, i was just thinking, in order to put slipons on, i realized that I have to put take the exhaust off to cut it correctly, right?

Knowing that, I still have to give the 'debaffle surgery' a good thinking for time labor and cost purposes, lots of videos on utube on it, and they dont' sound bad either. thanks

·
Premium Member
2020 Vulcan LT
36 Posts
hey yall...

I want to put more deep rumble to the stock exhaust and was thinking about either a 'debaffle'
or slip ons which is easier, cheaper, and a bit more louder?

I ve seen utube debaffle job's and best thing is there free,
no parts needed, but can t count on a particular HD rumble and don't want to butch the stock exhaust unless
the slip on's arent worth it. I know new PIPES vans/hines are way out of my price range over 400$ eze.

What slip on's do ya'll recommend, and is it hard to put on ?

Just want the pro/cons to either set up?
I appreciate the sound of a bike is subjectively important to the enjoyment of the bike. With that said I try to ground myself in the realization than any exhaust for a bike was designed by an engineer. There is a video on you tube where the guy drilled out the baffle on a Vulcan and did a sound comparison. I thought it was minimal and did not look good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts