Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
thanks gentlemen! appreciate......I was gng2 use mild soap and water....anyway, i pass 4 now....less than 5k on it, dont suspect nothing. old oil i changed out was med brown, still very slick between my fingers.
Went with some of yours advice for POWER 1 full synthetic and fram filter.

Findings:
It shifted a bit better, took it for 10m ride. Its filled just below the 'H" mark, 90 perc I guess. I was expecting much better shifting2 b honest. Still jolts a bit from 1 to 2nd gear, maybe I have to wind out 1st a bit longer. Wonder if I cldv saved half the money and just went with the part syn Casto Aceveto, if that wldv been the same, which I was gng to go with.

But at least i can keep this oil for the next 5k miles b/c its full syn, rite?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
thanks, wow 7k? really that long. prolly for NOT forn HOTTER southern climates , i wouldnt stretch out that far here.
took a longer ride today, 30 minutes, a little better maybe the oil was working better. fan didn't come on, but it was 55 degrees.....

·
Registered
476 Posts
I find power 1 oil is a bit clunky when cold, but the shifting on my bike becomes almost effortless after the oil is good and warm.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
can you get away with not using the clutch to shift up 3,4,5? when its that effortless.....i heard its possible w our bikes

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Length of time between oil changes depends, in part, on how you ride. Most manuals list mileage and oil type changes based on "Normal" driving or riding, with an asterisk that the oil should be changed more often for "extreme conditions" which they don't define. Normal is considered to be cruising at ~60 mph for long stretches. Frequent starts and stops, like city driving with traffic lights, frequent starts and stops, like cranking and shutting down, and short trips of 10 mins or less are considered to be "extreme" by most mfgs. Riding in mountains is considered to be "extreme". So when Kawi states that you should use conventional oil and change every 3000 miles, that is for highway cruising. If your style is more "extreme" you should change more often. If you do "normal" but use synthetic, you might stretch that 3000 to 5000 or even 7000 miles.

The Voyager manual does not specify conventional or synthetic, but recommends changing at 7500 miles with the notation "Service more frequently when operating in severe conditions; dusty, wet, muddy, high speed or
frequent starting/stopping." I do a wide range of riding. Hours on the highway, city, mountain roads, etc. Based on what I have learned, I use a fully synthetic and change every 4000 miles. I might stretch it to 4500 miles if I am on a long trip. I use 10W-40 in the cooler months and 20W-50 in the hotter part of the year (I live in Georgia). Yes, most years I ride enough to need 2 or more oil changes, but I will change to 10W-40 early if necessary to keep from running 20W-50 below 40°-45°F.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
THANKS MAN....good reply. i guess ihave to consider if a normal or extreme rider. I feel I am closer to normal so i dont have to change it for at least 5miles so thats good....

hey any reason y you dont run 10w-50 oil? i heard some of the board members in southern states use it instead 10w40? also, what brand do you use castrol?

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
THANKS MAN....good reply. i guess ihave to consider if a normal or extreme rider. I feel I am closer to normal so i dont have to change it for at least 5miles so thats good....

hey any reason y you dont run 10w-50 oil? i heard some of the board members in southern states use it instead 10w40? also, what brand do you use castrol?
50 weight for winter riding is too high if you ride with it as cold as I sometimes do. I have ridden in 20s to low teens many times. The lowest temps I have ridden the Voyager is 10°F in Georgia. 20W-50 is better for when the temps reach triple digits. The higher cold viscosity helps with startup protection then. I use Royal Purple Max Cycle. It ain't especially cheap, and I may be wasting a little money on it, but I have used RP oils for many years and discussed quite a few issues with their tech dept. over the years and I just feel very comfortable using their products. I have gotten straight answers from them, when other companies gave me the run around.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts