Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys!
I know this a simple question.
I want to do a synthetic oil change, 2012 v900 has 3k now, last oil was done 4 years at 1k miles.

Autozone said they have mobil one MA (approved) 12$ a qt.
Wondering if you know where I can get ONE system oil synethetic cheaper?

Or if I should be getting a different type of OIL, please be specific, I know its cant be SAE (for cars)
ALSO, 10-40 correct? I am in the SOUTH.
tHANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
It of course CAN BE, and must be an SAE rated oil. Oil viscosity is ALWAYS rated as SAE sumthing W- sumthing, ya know like SAE10W-40, which is the same whether it is auto, truck, diesel or M/C oil.

ANY name brand m/c specific petroleum, semi synthetic or full synthetic oil with the MA, MA1 or MA2 is appropriate and 10w-40 is the recommended viscosity and has the same upper level temperature rating as a 50 weight oil, which is up to 105 dg ambient temp. There is no need for anything other than the 10w-40 oil for most liquid cooled engines including yours.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. Wait, I heard 10w-50, is good for southern states, we get to 110 down here. So stick to 10w-40?
Also, do you think Motoul syn high performance is that much better than mobil/castro syn , at 2x the price?
I hope not, b/c i am looking to buy ' a good ' synthetic and change it every 5k, and hopefully I can get it at Walmart w filter, and not have to go to amazon (kawasaki powersports dealer is 1 hour away)....

Lastly, my 2012, seems as it does not have a the 'fill glass level', not sure how i am going to know I have 3.5q in there?

I appreciate whatever you can answer!

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
You are somewhat over complicating this. UNLESS you are CONSTANTLY stuck in 110 dg temps in stop n go traffic in the middle of the summer then stay with the 40.

The Mobil and Castrol are group 3 synthetic oils with are actually highly refined PETROLEUM oils, the process is called "hydro-cracking" and the manufactures are "allowed" to label them as synthetics! Motul oils are Group 5 ester based oils and have many advantages over the group 3 oils.

THAT being said you DO NOT have a turbocharged ZX14 where the best oil is a wise choice. You have a mild mannered street bike that does not make exceptionally high power levels and you have only put 2000 miles in 4 years, so the use of a full synthetic oil is NOT warranted. Petroleum oil will provide ALL the protection you need for the engine, but if you do change to full synthetic, then the Mobil or Castrol is all you need to spend your $$$ on.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man, so do you think Motul or kawasaki syn oil ( 13$ a qt) is wasting money in my bike? I just want whats best for my bike in hot temps, so don't mind spending a bit more. I heard from articles on this, that I 'd be wasting my money on the high perfromance stated above.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Possible choices are: Castrol Power 1 4T 10w50, Motul 5100 4T 10w50. I also live in Texas, and run 10w50 in mine, since occasionally I get out and ride in temps above 104F (the high cutoff temp for 10w40).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks JBiggers, but I heard not necessary to use 10w50, its too heavy oil. I am in TX too.

also, any big difference besides the price , of Castro vs. Motul ( i heard Motul is over kill unless ur racing)?
Motul is much more $ I hear.

I mite also get kawasaki syn 10w40 from partzilla 11$ qt., should be ok. I need to find a place where this stuff is cheapest.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Actually, 10w50 is acceptable according to the owner's manual, so not too heavy according to rhe manufacture. If I lived in a cooler climate, I would stay with 10w40. However, I live in the DFW area and I occasionally go for a ride when it's above 104F, which is the upper limit for 10w40. So I have to use 10w50, which is acceptable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
20w50 Castrol motorcycle oil works - $5 qt change the oil more often than every 4 years!!!
do not use mobile 1 crap!!!

mix some ATF or Marvel Mystery oil in and do a 2nd oil change after 100 miles if it has been 4 years since last change.

I

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I got more input. I am left with two oils to choose from, want to know which u think is best?

6.5$ qt. "Part Synthetic"-CASTROL ACTEVO , 10w40 .......OR

7.5$ QT. Valvoline "All synthetic" 10w40

Both exceed JA2...etc. standards, BUT I am turned off by the PART SYNETHETIC Castrol, but actevo brand
boasts about special bonding oil engineering..........but confused, should I go with synethetic FULL w Valvoline....great price? even Kawasaki syn OIL is 12$ a qt.

2ndly, even if i went with either oil, wat would you think the next oil change should be for either 2 above?

Let me know what you think please? !!! Thanks Yall

PS...i went with fram ultra guard filter, 5$

·
Registered
583 Posts
OK while I hesitate to get into the oil discussion, I feel you should consider two things: One our bikes have wet clutches, that means they are lubricated by the motor oil. Auto oils have friction enhancers that can reduce the effectiveness of the clutch. For that reason and some others you should always use an oil that is made for motorcycles. Two Because you do not ride high millage it is more important that you use higher quality synthetic oil. Oil ages and the crucial additives can degrade. Condensation will also decrease the lubrication effectiveness.
I use Amsoil Metric motorcycle oil. I also use Amsoil in my autos and other equipment. I use Wix filters. If I could not get Amsoil I would use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. But please use a quality synthetic motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks 1barron!, I appreciate all your feed back! So far on the thread, some have said the Motul/Amsoil, high performance oils are not necessary for the standard 900V type power and expensive, but respect your decision2use it.

. So which would you choose then? the Castrol acevto PART synthetic or Valvoline Full synthetic? Both are motorcycle 4T, exceeds JA2 standards, etc. so not worried. Just on the border of PART (with bonding engineered oil ) vs. basic FULL synethic oil Valvoline?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
what do you think of PART synthetic? acevteo castrol......

thanks for link, good deal, but its a 6 pack, only seeking 4pack

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's a good oil. But the 4T synthetic is slightly better and I couldn't find Acevteo as cheap as the the full synthetic. That's why I use it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree with sixth gear on this one. The Acevteo oil sounds good and I'm sure it will work. But I like the power 1 oil better (10w50 in my case), mainly because the Acevteo is not offered in 10w50. Even if it were, I'd choose the power 1 oil anyway. I also like the anti-friction properties of power 1 oil, and the fact that the clutch engages firmly with this oil.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can get the Acevteo for 6.5$ a qt, is that a good deal?
What is the power 1 oil, mobil? Link please if you have it? also , 6th gear what synthetic oil do you use?
Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts