Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall!
Just wondering about what you would change if you had a only 3k on a 2012, what maintence you would do right away?

Oil was changed last at 1k miles, over 4 years ago, so that is the 1st thing I am doing with kawasaki syn or castro/mobil syn oil. My concern is that,
its over 8 yrs old and sat for a while, on and off thru the years, 2 owners, so I don't know much.

So asking for ya'll expertise on what you would do with these items, or anything else you can think that are a MUST change?
1. spark plugs?
2. antifreeze?
3. kevlar belt?
4. Tires are fine, but just wondering if 8 years is too long
5. cable fluids?
6. brake fluids?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, 2 calls for Tires. didn't think that right away. I got them inspected, and they said they were fine and feel fine, but I guess I 'll have a double check. How do I know they have to go?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Check the date of manufacture on the tire sidewalls. They may be older than 8 years....which is already too old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
You want to replace those tires (regardless of what the "Checked out" said). The cords inside, and rubber are WAY too old to trust them.

You want to drain, flush and refill the cooling system. You want to change the oil to a good synthetic, change the oil and air filters, and have a good mechanic check out the engine, transmission, etc. You need to drain, and flush out the gas. You should check all cables for lubrication and proper adjustment. A new battery is also a must. Get the drive belt checked by a pro, and make certain that it is properly tensioned.

Frankly, if it were my bike, I'd have a good motorcycle mechanic do all of this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts