Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been wondering the same about the progressive shock (stock height). Mine has the preload and the damping cranked and it's perfect for just me. I'm only 235lb and my wife is fairly petite but it feels like there's another one of me riding on the back when we head out together. Amazon has the stock height shock for sale for $365.16 and I would think about it if I knew what to expect, that's more than I'm comfortable spending on something that "might" fix the problem I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been wondering the same about the progressive shock (stock height). Mine has the preload and the damping cranked and it's perfect for just me. I'm only 235lb and my wife is fairly petite but it feels like there's another one of me riding on the back when we head out together. Amazon has the stock height shock for sale for $365.16 and I would think about it if I knew what to expect, that's more than I'm comfortable spending on something that "might" fix the problem I'm experiencing.
I can't comment on the Progressive shock as I don't have one my V2K. But I do have an Ohlins shock that's comparable to the Progressive 465 with the remote adjustable preload (RAP). With the RAP you can adjust the preload on the fly to soften up the shock when you're riding on the freeway or tighten it up when riding bumpy back roads. It's also great to quickly firm up the shock when you have a passenger on the back. The Ohlins shock is no longer manufactured for the V2K, but I if I had to do it all over again I would probably try the Progressive RAP shock. I do know that with my Ohlins shock I never bottom out like I did with the stock shock with a passenger on the back and the bike rides like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That sounds like it would work great, but if memory serves me correctly, the Ohlins was between two and three times the price of the Progressive shock without the remote adjustable preload.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That sounds like it would work great, but if memory serves me correctly, the Ohlins was between two and three times the price of the Progressive shock without the remote adjustable preload.
The price I paid for my Ohlins with RAP is comparable to what the Progressive with RAP now costs. The Progressive RAP shock probably costs a few hundred bucks more than their non-RAP shock, but believe me having the RAP is well worth it. You can instantly change pre-load settings on the fly whereas without it you would have to spend at least 15 minutes to make a settings change (stop bike, remove seat, adjust shock with a special shock adjusting tool, re-install seat).

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just bought the Ohlins shock this year and it is THE TICKET. No more bottoming out, adjusting on the fly is great and install was easy. Pricing I found was about $950 while the Progressive was $500. Reviews all said both better than stock but the Ohlins was way better. Pricey but WORTH IT. Think I got it at www.cruisercustomizing.com

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just bought the Ohlins shock this year and it is THE TICKET. No more bottoming out, adjusting on the fly is great and install was easy. Pricing I found was about $950 while the Progressive was $500. Reviews all said both better than stock but the Ohlins was way better. Pricey but WORTH IT. Think I got it at www.cruisercustomizing.com

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hockeyref is right. It looks like Cruiser Customizing still sells the shock:

Ohlins Rear Shock - 46DRLS - Vulcan 2000 ('04-'08)

Like he says expensive, but definitely well worth it :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Adjusting on the fly would be nice, it is a PITA to take everything apart and start cranking on the shock to get it where it needs to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts