Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sorts of repairs have any of you V2K riders had to make so far?
On my 04 with 36k miles, throttle cable, front wheel bearing, tail light bulb, low beam headlight bulb, spark plugs{a treat, really didnt need em]} of course tires, filters , etc dont count, they are consumables!!!!
just wondering
merry Christmas

·
Registered
864 Posts
Tightened bolts, radiator hose clamps ( stopped all those white spots on my black crinkle paint ) ( that has like 25 cans of s100 stuff that makes it look like new black paint ) thats it all i have done.... Bulldozer, im not sure was that a repair ?

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

·
Registered
91 Posts
What sorts of repairs have any of you V2K riders had to make so far?
On my 04 with 36k miles, throttle cable, front wheel bearing, tail light bulb, low beam headlight bulb, spark plugs{a treat, really didnt need em]} of course tires, filters , etc dont count, they are consumables!!!!
just wondering
merry Christmas
Question about that front wheel bearing. I notice that when I lean my bike into a corner the "sound" from the front tire changes and a higher pitched whine is heard. Is this normal or should I be having that front bearing checked? I have checked the front wheel for lateral movement and it's tight. I'm just wondering if leaning it over on one side of the bearing or the other should change the sound? I'm must asking. :confused::confused:
That would be my first repair on my 2008 VN2K with 3559 miles.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Question about that front wheel bearing. I notice that when I lean my bike into a corner the "sound" from the front tire changes and a higher pitched whine is heard. Is this normal or should I be having that front bearing checked? I have checked the front wheel for lateral movement and it's tight. I'm just wondering if leaning it over on one side of the bearing or the other should change the sound? I'm must asking. :confused::confused:
You have a 2008 with 3559 miles on it????????? Wow, you must be locked in most of the year.

My 2009 that I bought at the beginning of February, this year, has over 22,500 on it and I'm about to put another 2,500 on.

Dood, get out and ride that beast, it ain't even broke in yet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You have a 2008 with 3559 miles on it????????? Wow, you must be locked in most of the year.

My 2009 that I bought at the beginning of February, this year, has over 22,500 on it and I'm about to put another 2,500 on.

Dood, get out and ride that beast, it ain't even broke in yet.
Probably should have explained. I just bought it this last October with 1835 miles on it from a guy on Craigslist for only 6k. I have doubled the mileage on it in the two and a half months I've owned it. Guaranteed when the weather warms up in the spring I'll be a ridden fool ;) until then I'll be happy with the afternoons that it hits 45 degrees.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The first thing I would consider is the front tire.. a little wear in the center would change the outside tread sound.... nothing to worry about unless the tire is worn a lot, :) just sayin'

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

What does the tread on your front tire look like??? Are you running Bridgestone Battleaxe tires? Check the tread for tiny 'scalloping" , when you get a weird sound from the front tire area, especially on curves or when ever you lean the bike off vertical , it s a real good indicator that your front tire has wear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That "roar" you hear just in a turn is tire noise. Bridgestones will do that on just about any bike. It used to be really bad on my BMW............:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
That "roar" you hear just in a turn is tire noise. Bridgestones will do that on just about any bike. It used to be really bad on my BMW............:)
Could very well be as I am sporting Bridgestones. The sound seems to be a more high frequency sound than road noise though. Anyway it's hardly noticeable when Aerosmith is on 9.5 :D:cool:

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. So....

To date no repairs at 3600 miles.;);)

·
Registered
563 Posts
repairs

2006 V2K just bought last Spring with 7000 miles, now has 14,400. Wish I could still be driving but it is -13C today and it's actually a nice day for Manitoba. Only repairs on my bike is a battery that had a short in it which caused my electronics to act wonky. New battery fixed it up. Other than that just maintenance and spent lots of $$ on accessories.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tires

Could very well be as I am sporting Bridgestones. The sound seems to be a more high frequency sound than road noise though. Anyway it's hardly noticeable when Aerosmith is on 9.5 :D:cool:

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. So....

To date no repairs at 3600 miles.;);)

Can you cause the noise /buzz/ to vary as you weave back & forth on a straight road, particularily on a very smooth surface{new pavement}, then you can be assured its the tire tread causing the noise . This is a notable characteristic of Bridgestone, especially the Battleaxe model.
BTW, the new pavement/smooth pavement is somewhat of a rarity here in Manitoba LOL

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Ooops, forgot about one little thing I had to do. Tried loading my bike on a trailer one day to go have a new tire and the ramp collapsed under the massive weight of the Vulcan. My shifting lever hit the back end of the trailer and broke the shift rod. Had to order a new one and screw it in. Easy fix and it wasn't the fault of the bike. Didn't wear anything out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts