Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember how when I was talking about making some lowering links I said that they look like they would create a lot of lateral force on the shock. I was right. attached is a picture of my newly bent shock(doesn't look so bad in the pic cause it's sitting on the frame and there's not much weight on the swingarm). I hit a big dip in the road and bottomed out the suspension. I soon noticed I had very little damping from my shock. I eased home and took off the seat to discover that my shock was bent and there was a puddle of oil under it. I've had them on for 4000 miles with no problems. This may be why you can't buy them anymore. Just wanted to warn anybody who might be running them. Btw, if you just have the two flat steel plates with no milled angle this shouldn't happen.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Glad you didnt wreck it when the shock broke. Had a simular occurance on my 800 when I took the lowering kit back off of it. Just rode 750 miles the night before fully loaded with my GF on the back. Pulled into her dads driveway and got off. I always hold the right handlebar until she gets off, and just as she went to swing her leg over the seat, the bike dropped about 3-4" in the back. The lower clevis came off and parts went rolling down the street. Luckily all that happend was the clevis on tge bottom came loose. Took it to her sisters garage and put it all back together making sure everthing was tight this time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
408 Posts
Before the failure, how much lower was the back end of the bike? Did it ride much different verses stock (before breaking)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts