Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Tsukayu Jumbo Strong hard saddlebags today. The packaging is well done and everything came in great shape. They are very well built bags.

First of all .........THE STOCK SADDLEBAG MOUNTS ON THE LT WILL NOT WORK FOR MOUNTING THESE BAGS....... I have wondered about this for a long time and could not find anything on the web, so the answer is now on the web.

I only have two problems with their design.... They should be side opening like the old Jumbo Strongs were. I think when they changed to design they made a mistake. The bags I got open from the end and interfer with the trunk, but I guess I will have to put up with that. The front bracket should be shorter. I tried to shorten the bracket but the metal is too hard so I gave up. The front brackets being so long have to be angled steeply so they will not hit the suspension which has a 4 inch travel. I have had tabs welded to my hitch and will be building a brackets to go from the hitch to the bottom of the bag for extra support.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I like my Bear fender

bossman, I am glad you are pleased with your bags. I bought these same bags 1.5yrs ago and put them back in the box not long after they arrived. I was totaly displeased with the product and fitment. I bought the bags and matching trunk in primer grey as I was going to have them and my fairing painted to match the bike. Now I wished I would have paid the extra $50 each peice and had them leather covered. so I could resell them to fit most anything. so kiss $1100 goodbye. I usually dont give up this easily and make most anything fit. am just sorely dissapointed thinking I was paying a premium price for a premium product. these don't live up to thier price is all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend i ride with has the same set as you do (side opening) on his V2K for probably a couple of years now and has good luck with them. I just wished mine were side opening bacause of the trunk....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Poncho... you dont say what the issues were that displeased you??
I assume you didnt have them painted ?
They look a bit oversize for your bike to me...too big.....was that what bothered you?

Annie

bossman, I am glad you are pleased with your bags. I bought these same bags 1.5yrs ago and put them back in the box not long after they arrived. I was totaly displeased with the product and fitment. I bought the bags and matching trunk in primer grey as I was going to have them and my fairing painted to match the bike. Now I wished I would have paid the extra $50 each peice and had them leather covered. so I could resell them to fit most anything. so kiss $1100 goodbye. I usually dont give up this easily and make most anything fit. am just sorely dissapointed thinking I was paying a premium price for a premium product. these don't live up to thier price is all.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking for ideas on decorating the bags up a little. I don't like red, so I won't be painting them.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bear'ing it

Poncho... you dont say what the issues were that displeased you?? I assume you didnt have them painted ? They look a bit oversize for your bike to me...too big.....was that what bothered you? Annie
annie, I purposefully chose these bags because of thier size(jumbos) for traveling purposes. My plan at the time was to outfit this skoot as a big bag tourer and retire the harley. Things always dont work out as planned.

My criticism of these bags are they dont meet my expectations. The fitment of the top and bottoms are not as precise as I would expect for the coin these cost. sure you can hide it with paint or leather.
The other is the mounts are adjustable for/aft, up/down but ride too close to the belt drive. they dinged the upper belt gard pretty nasty. sure I could space them out further and they look like pooh and then they dont hang straight.
They being universal bags have large recesses for...? drives, pipes, shocks, etc. These indentations on the bag inner surfaces reduce capacity 30%+ from what they could if they where flush. I started to do some reconstruct on one thinking I would refibreglass the inner wall and open these things up. If so then you could put a helmet in here. I only removed some of the felt liner b4 reboxing the bags. In stock form they will only accept a shorty 1/2 helmet. I like to carry a 3/4 and full face when traveling for bad weather.
The trunk. I looked it over and put it back in its shipping box. Its not that it isn't nice.. its just more of the same. less than I'd expect for $1100 for the trio.
So, the harley stayed in service another year and I started to chop the v2k into a day runner. Now the harley will soon be back on the market(trike fiasco) and I have grown quite fond of the "redbear'n" and would like to refit it for some touring. Am still pondering how the finish product might look as I am not too traditional in my... shinanigans.:) but thanks for the inquirey, out ponch

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think they look pretty good just like they are.....but a couple things occurred... ;-)

flames... they are so near the exhaust.... :rolleyes:

paint em up to look like jet engines...with rotating blue led light patterns like the Enterprise of Star Trek ?

LOL...ok i will stop now..

Looking for ideas on decorating the bags up a little. I don't like red, so I won't be painting them.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
you could always do a xmas theme w/all the lights n trimmins

hog'rs, everybody has an idea of what they'r ride should look like or feel like. you need to get intouch with your inner bikerdude. that way your finish project will be more.... you. and not just 'nother pretty pony going down the road.
If I where to drop some serious coin on a paint jop it might be something like a desert night camp scene? a clear, pitch black starfilled sky on top, so deep with stars you feel like your falling up into them. Outline of mountains on the horizon. Post dusk, micro thin orange/red very late sunset line running down one side peeking thru the mountains and Pre dawn yellow/blue very early sunup on t'other. Recongizable, navigable constellations on top, for those that know, oreinting 4 compass points and season of they year and lattitude? Far off distance there's lightning n storms backdrop silohouting the mountains. barely visible in the minimal contrast, a lone wolf calling his pack. lots of buried images ghosted for those who take time to look deep. out, ponch

·
Registered
553 Posts
hmmm....
Don't like red? Why did you buy a red bike? Oh well.:rolleyes:

How about putting studs on them to make them match the seats like the leatherish bags were?

On a side note, looks like the same hitch I have on my V2K.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's pre 86 harley fairing with the windshield mounting holes sloted and a set of cam locks off bicycle seats so I can slide the windshield up and down and yes I made my own mounts.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
On the subject of hitches, can someone advise where I can get a hitch for my 2009 VN2K? I've looked at a couple places and the price is unbelieveable and to top it off I have to spend another $150.00 for the wiring harness.

On another subject, since I put my Cobra 2 into 1 pipes on (Which I really like) the engine pops really bad on deceleration. I have heard there is something called a pair valve on the engine that allows fresh air into the exhaust to burn excess fuel and this can be blocked off to prevent the popping. Anyone care to jump in here?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
PAIR, primary air induction rattle'r valve or someother nonsensicle garbage

On another subject, since I put my Cobra 2 into 1 pipes on (Which I really like) the engine pops really bad on deceleration. I have heard there is something called a pair valve on the engine that allows fresh air into the exhaust to burn excess fuel and this can be blocked off to prevent the popping. Anyone care to jump in here?
cp, pair is a name zuki's use, but these kow's have a similar set of doohikies to inject air into the exhaust and burn that xtry fuel in yor pipes.
At the front of the front head and rear of the rear head are two hoses that are routed back to the air valve located behind the airbox and on top of the throttle body. This air valve gets its feed from the airbox and has a quick electric disconnect fitting.
disconnect all those hoses, valves, nipples, connector and put them in a box for your grandchildren. you can tell them a story later about brain surgery.
Plug those two nipples with rubber caps or plugs. do not worry they are not under pressure but rely on negative pressure when in service.
Plug any other holes in the airbox or elsewhere you find em.
Put a (i have too look it up?)ohm resistor on that remaining electric connector to fool the ECU that the airvalve gizmo is still in service or you will get a FI light on your dashpanel.
While you are in process of gutting all this EPA (extra pollutant accessory) from your now pristine motor, there is one more important hose to eliminate from buggering up yor motor. It is the crankvent hose located at the back of the transmission and finds its way to the airbox. This is the bugger that pukes all that xtra oil into yor motor breathing cavity.
I yank that all this crap and box it for... Then I run a new hose off that crankvent nipple. I route it up behind the motor mount and do a quick 180 down and out to the rightside lower extemeties of the chassis. not quite in front of the tire. But I dont overfill my motors, so I dont blow any of this excess petrol anyway. Some guys go to the truble of installing a... filter.? why bother, nothing coming out 'cept it gives the motor a chance to relieve itself of internal pressure from all those moving parts and expanding gases.

hope this helps. out, ponch

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Ponch, It does help quite a bit but I need to re-read it a time or two until I have the whole picture in my somewhat dense head. The problem is that I am not really familiar with this engine setup and it takes a bit to find what/where things are.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Easy to check

cp, pair is a name zuki's use, but these kow's have a similar set of doohikies to inject air into the exhaust and burn that xtry fuel in yor pipes.
At the front of the front head and rear of the rear head are two hoses that are routed back to the air valve located behind the airbox and on top of the throttle body. This air valve gets its feed from the airbox and has a quick electric disconnect fitting.
disconnect all those hoses, valves, nipples, connector and put them in a box for your grandchildren. you can tell them a story later about brain surgery.
Plug those two nipples with rubber caps or plugs. do not worry they are not under pressure but rely on negative pressure when in service.
Plug any other holes in the airbox or elsewhere you find em.
Put a (i have too look it up?)ohm resistor on that remaining electric connector to fool the ECU that the airvalve gizmo is still in service or you will get a FI light on your dashpanel.
While you are in process of gutting all this EPA (extra pollutant accessory) from your now pristine motor, there is one more important hose to eliminate from buggering up yor motor. It is the crankvent hose located at the back of the transmission and finds its way to the airbox. This is the bugger that pukes all that xtra oil into yor motor breathing cavity.
I yank that all this crap and box it for... Then I run a new hose off that crankvent nipple. I route it up behind the motor mount and do a quick 180 down and out to the rightside lower extemeties of the chassis. not quite in front of the tire. But I dont overfill my motors, so I dont blow any of this excess petrol anyway. Some guys go to the truble of installing a... filter.? why bother, nothing coming out 'cept it gives the motor a chance to relieve itself of internal pressure from all those moving parts and expanding gases.

hope this helps. out, ponch
A quick check on the air injection is to pop off the hoses and stick a big marble in it to block it off. That way you can quickly reinstall it if you don't like the results.:)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
maybe we all could stand to loose some weight, eh?

A quick check on the air injection is to pop off the hoses and stick a big marble in it to block it off. That way you can quickly reinstall it if you don't like the results.:)
whats not to like? you loose 10lb of crapola and yor motor runs muey bueno, mor better. makes it ez'r to clean 2. no xtry hoses and doodads hangin all over the place.
did you ever stik yor head under the hood of an older well kept car? Im talkin 50-60's stuff. and think where is all the crap that the new ones have? well they don't have em and don't need em. thats all the jimmycarter stuff you got today. nothing but power robbing stuff 'spose to make your motor run more clean. I say let it run mor efficient and I will burn less fuel. hows that for bein earthly type freindly to all the little furry critters that are just choking away on our fossil fuels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Boss Hog - your bike looks great! Where did you get your tank cover - the grey portion in the photo's that prevent scratches?

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Got my Vulcan emblems for my new bags and a Dynojet LCD screen for my Power Commander. Check it out....

I also now have backets coming off the hitch to the bottom of the bags....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts