Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just posting this in case someone else has had a similar issue. Last Fall I replaced my battery (only 2 yrs old) and the bottom regulator as my battery kept dying. This Spring it worked fine for a while, but then the same problem started up again-took it to the shop, they load tested the battery, removed and reinstalled the regulators and everything worked-seemed to just be a loose connection. 2,000 miles later right before I was planning to leave on a short trip my battery is dying again!! The local shop (small town -more quads than bikes but they do ok) is going to contact Ma Kawi, wondering if they should have raced both regulators last year. Some connectors down there have burned off so at least one of them is likely shot. Any suggestions?? I am planning a trip down to the end of Sturgis week nex twins and want to make sure my bike is running well again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was having the same problems two weeks ago, I was out of town, 1100 plus miles away from home. It stayed in a shop for three days with them trying everything, the problem ended up being one side of my stator is bad, and has been bad for some time now... Far as having burnt ends on the regulator plugs, there is a post on here about that... do a search for regulators and see if it doesn't come up ......

http://http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/141855-replacing-rectifier-regulator-v2k-aftermarket-one-walkthrough-pics.html[/IMG]

if nothing else you should be able to copy and paste ..... good luck!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the response-can't seem to find that link you posted, but good to get another perspective. My bike is in the shop over the wknd now as I am out of town for a few days with family. I will call my dealer when they open after the wknd and get them to check both regulators and the stator-I HAVE to have my bike going for next wknd-plans to spend a week in the Black Hills

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you try to copy and paste the link?? It shows the burnt ends on the regulator plugs.. However that is not my problem. Mine was found by going from each leg of the stator to frame ground, found a dead short...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah not working well with limited service out at rental cabin with limited service from my iPhone to my iPad -kinda slow. I cut and pasted and hit the link but no go

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Your bike only has one regulator and one stator.

On V2K's, the regulator connection itself gives trouble because it is exposed to water and grime. Those connections must be squeaky clean with no signs of discoloration (blue, etc.) and no connector melt-down.

After any connection problem is resolved, the shop should do a charging system voltage check to rule out any other faults..

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? Me dealer was certain that there are two regulators down there when he had it apart. What is the other box down there then?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
You are correct. I was looking at wrong year.
Connector problems still apply and they are a known issue.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks very much for the update. I will be calling my dealer asap when they open up next week. So the lower regulator was replaced last Fall-any thoughts on whether I should replace just the upper regulator this time around or replace both of them to ensure that there are no more problems?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Regulators can be tested, so I would not replace one/both just because.

If you have problems with the dealer repair, post back.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks sfair and Whoru, nothing much I can do now until Tuesday morning. Monday is a holiday here and my bike is in the shop while I'm out of town. As long as they can get parts in time I'm optimistic they will get it going in time for me to head to Black Hills on August 10 as planned. If not I am already looking into bike rentals for my week down there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the regulator is (hopefully) to arrive this morning. Talked to the dealer yesterday and the boss had called ahead on Monday night of the holiday to the guy who had been away for a week to let him know I am desperate to get the bike up and running for this coming wknd ride to the black hills. With the connections having been burnt it is very likely that this is the problem, so if all goes well I could have my bike back today! Wow that would be an answer to prayer, sure am waiting to ride again, especially on those great roads. Will post back with an update tonight.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FINALLY - got the new regulator/rectifier in today - parts only came this morning (Thursday). Now charging at 14.5 volts - Hallelujah my trip to the Black Hills is back on!! Connectors have die-electric grease in them, also put automotive hi-temp silicone on the outside of the connectors - hopefully never have this problem again. I am also going to be careful with not running too many accessories at once, between driving lights, air horn, gps, speakers, electric vest when it's cooler weather I'm thinking I may be pushing it a bit. I will go without the driving lights for now as I avoid night driving anyways, and the electric vest usually does not get used until October. Thanks for the help guys!! As always the forum helped me out again.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, lots of detail there-sure hope I don't need to do this again anytime soon. I'm all packed up and ready to head to the Black Hills tomorrow-cant wait!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Of the people who have had problems with their regulator/rectifiers and or stator coils do the majority have aftermarket additions that are drawing a lot of power above and beyond what the 2000LT is rated for? Or, is it more of a corrosion issue due to the factory placement of the regulator/rectifiers? I ask because I haven't yet gotten anything for my bike but I have plans to add a light bar, some heated riding gear and maybe a stereo at some point. While I know what the bike is rated for in terms of total wattage I need to know that I'll be safe (and reliable) drawing power close to but under that limit.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I believe the way the alternator and regulator on most bikes works means that at any given RPM the alternator is actually producing the same amount of power whether or not you are using that power. So, any load up to what the system is rated for shouldn't cause any more or less stress.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I believe the way the alternator and regulator on most bikes works means that at any given RPM the alternator is actually producing the same amount of power whether or not you are using that power. So, any load up to what the system is rated for shouldn't cause any more or less stress.
As long as the output voltage does not drop from the reg/rect.

Always do a charging system test after any electrical accessories are added just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So thanks again for all the advice-our trip went off without a hitch (except for getting wet a couple of times). The V2K performed flawlessly, and after I got home and had some time I jacked her up and put some more sealant around the connectors-they should be protected from the elements now. Going for a Sunday ride today-supposed to be about 95 degrees and humid but at least no rain in the forecast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts