Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been flirting with the idea of adding to the stable, been wanting a more touring type bike instead of turning the V2K in to one. Been looking at the Voyager/Vaq. Anyone made that transition or anything to look for with these bikes? I have not had a chance to ride one yet since I don't know anyone with one and dealers here won't let you test ride.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
See sticky in 1700 about broken wire under tank. Easy fix if caught before it leaves you stranded. Many complain about heat in traffic, more so on the Voyager I think, I never had an issue with it but wrapped pipes anyway, my has the KAMS system stock, but is available for older models. May need to take extra cash for the trinkets the boss may buy. LOL!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
touring type bike instead of turning the V2K in to one. Been looking at the Voyager/Vaq. Anyone made that transition or anything to look for with these bikes? I have not had a chance to ride one yet since I don't know anyone with one and dealers here won't let you test ride.
pm Bull Dozer, he will give you low down on the transition. he has/had both.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pm Bull Dozer, he will give you low down on the transition. he has/had both.
Is his handle "Bull Dozer" or "Bulldozer". All that came up was "bulldozer". Just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Here is what BD posted about the Voyager on my test ride thread a couple of years ago. You can click his user name to PM him.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25013

Here is the thread in full.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25013

I can say that felt heat is very reasonable with the KAMS kit.
And while some people had an issue with operating temperatures; myself included; a few mods got it back in line.

A 1700 isn't going to have the torque of the V2K; but you don't need a rocket surgeon to figure that one out.:)

If you want the sparkliest bike at the bar; the VV probably isn't the right one.
If you want the best sound system; the VV probably isn't the right bike.

But, it is a damn fine tourer that competes with everything in its class. And in my opinion (yours may vary) comes out on top.

When HD puts out the Road Glide again; I may have to take another look.
The Vision is an awesome ride and everyone should throw a leg over one of those at some point.
The RSV is in hiatus too, so who knows what it will come back looking like.

Anyway, no bike is right for everyone and everyone is entitle to their own opinion. But, opinions aside; the Voyager is a solid Kawasaki product.

Scott

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
IF I could have two bikes I believe my second would be the Victory Cross Country Tour. I demoed Victorys a couple times and I like them much better than Kawasaki's 1700's. The Cross Country Tour has all the bells and whistles, tons of storage, and is very reliable. Yeah, it's American made but who cares.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
IF I could have two bikes I believe my second would be the Victory Cross Country Tour. I demoed Victorys a couple times and I like them much better than Kawasaki's 1700's. The Cross Country Tour has all the bells and whistles, tons of storage, and is very reliable. Yeah, it's American made but who cares.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
The XCT is a great bike too.
I REALLY like that the tourpack is easily removed.
After all my demo days and dealer test rides; I had a hard time picking between it and my Voyager.

The heat was a lot worse than my VV with KAMS; and now that I have a frame mounted fairing.
I won't consider a touring bike with a fork mounted fairing.

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The XCT is a great bike too.
I REALLY like that the tourpack is easily removed.
After all my demo days and dealer test rides; I had a hard time picking between it and my Voyager.

The heat was a lot worse than my VV with KAMS; and now that I have a frame mounted fairing.
I won't consider a touring bike with a fork mounted fairing.

Scott
That is something else I am curious about. I have ridden bikes with shields and fork mounted fairings, but never a frame mounted one. Got a buddy with a RG, thought about seeing if I could take it for a spin. But I via cycle trader I have found some left over vaqs out there at some decent prices.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I via cycle trader I have found some left over vaqs out there at some decent prices.
so wat zactly constitutes decent prices? maybe you should get one and when yor ready to upgrade it, we swap motors from yor v2k.? itsa a thought.. just putting it out ther.
if you can stuff the heart of the beast into that chassis,, then take the v17 motor and slip it in the v2k chassis and peddle it as a custom chopper.. recoup some the cost of this wrench work.. mite even break even for all the :beer:?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so wat zactly constitutes decent prices? maybe you should get one and when yor ready to upgrade it, we swap motors from yor v2k.? itsa a thought.. just putting it out ther.

if you can stuff the heart of the beast into that chassis,, then take the v17 motor and slip it in the v2k chassis and peddle it as a custom chopper.. recoup some the cost of this wrench work.. mite even break even for all the :beer:?

Like your way of thinking. Need to for up the welder and torches and get at it. I found a few in the 12k range

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That is something else I am curious about. I have ridden bikes with shields and fork mounted fairings, but never a frame mounted one. Got a buddy with a RG, thought about seeing if I could take it for a spin. But I via cycle trader I have found some left over vaqs out there at some decent prices.
I found them to be a bit strange at low speeds at first. Kinda like my eyes were telling me that my arms weren't turning the bars.
Now, I don't even notice anything.

BUT! I remember riding in the wind on my 900.
Heavy gusts would knock me around in the lane; eighteen wheelers would give the whole bike a kick.

Wind gusts have virtually no effect under interstate speeds. I've cruised for hours at 80mph in heavy gusts and it just feels like sitting in a porch swing...only you're swinging from side to side.:) A foot or two left; a foot or two right.
On the 900 it would have beat me to death just trying to keep it in the lane.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts