Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kawasaki has chosen to discontinue the VN2000 for the 2011 model year. I have spoken with dealers who indicate their belief was that EPA challenges for the 2053 cc OHV engine were some of the leading reasons for discontinuing it.
IMHO , I also believe that this bike didnt sell as well as expected ????? My personal experience , when I was trying to sell my first 04 V2K , all the prospects seem overwhelmed by its size and weight. Only one individual actually rode it , all the rest were too intimidated to even test ride.
Is there a mindset among us "older/mature" riders that , for the majority , sets the "bar" at approx 1600cc as the upper limit of viability ? Regarding weight , size ,& hp??? It seemed that all those who looked at my used V2K were of the same opinion, "its too big"!

if I may offer an opposing opinion to that statement. I believe that this bikes size weight & handling characterisitics saved my life in a potentially fatal crash.
If I may expand: I encountered a drunk driver with NO tail lighting at all , stopped in middle of the road while he decided to make a left turn . The bike ahead of me almost hit him , ducked to his right & stopped on the paved shoulder immediately after he avoided hitting the drunk. He , effectively blocked MY escape route. I was pulling a trailer and after overreacting & locking the rear tire monentarily, I fought to regain control of the V2K & trailer , which used up my braking room. Thus I took the ditch as a more favorable option then hitting either stopped car or stopped bike.
Allow me to expand , I am in NO way placing blame upon anyone but myself !!! I allowed myself to get into this situation because I was either < going too fast, following too close, or not paying enough attention?? any or all of the above!!!!
My point to this whole story is that had I been on a lighter, bike under the same situation , I would have NOT been able to over power the trailer, & regain control enough to allow me the option of chosing as friendly a landing as I did!!
Thus I truly believe that the size, weight, power & handling ability of the V2K allowed me the opportunity to SAVE MY OWN LIFE!!!!! On a lighter, less powerful bike , my choices would have been MUCH less favorable.
FYI , this incident occurred at noon, good riding conditions, and NOT above the speed limit !!! The whole thing happened because I was not on my A game!!!! "familiarity breeds contempt"??? , Im sure we have all been there at some point!
I accept that this was avoidable , as are most collisions, and that I wasnt alert enough to realize the impending danger soon enough!!! result = MY FAULT !! , I am master of my own destiny and I had a monentary lapse in remembering that fact!!
I survived, have titanium plates to remined me to NEVER have that "lapse" again, BUT also I BELIEVE THAT THE BIKE HELPED SAVE MY LIFE!!!!
and now it disappoints me that this model has been discontinued.
I do NOT want to ever have to ride less HP !!!
When looking at the new 1700 specs , it weighs as much as the V2K , but has way LESS torque!!! its a beautiful bike , dont get me wrong, but power to weight ratio??? no where near the Rogue!!!!

FYI , there has been more than one incident where I believe the V2K,s power saved me from hurt. {was able to avoid Bambi! one time Bambi JUMPED over my trailer!!!}
Thanks for allowing me to vent & tell my story
Merry Christmas to all
keith

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
WOWGreat story and I'm glad you survived the incident. I intend to keep my VN2K until one of us is no longer around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a Suzuki M109R from 2007 till this year. Sold it......3 months ago I bought a mint 2004 VN2K. I LOVE IT.. both these bikes give me the feeling i like when riding.
I would miss my VN2000 if I could not replace it with a new one in the future.

but ..the M109 would fill the void nicelly.

maybe a ROCKET III. but Ive never riden one ...yet. thats also a nice bigbike.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a Suzuki M109R from 2007 till this year. Sold it......3 months ago I bought a mint 2004 VN2K. I LOVE IT.. both these bikes give me the feeling i like when riding.
I would miss my VN2000 if I could not replace it with a new one in the future.

but ..the M109 would fill the void nicelly.

maybe a ROCKET III. but Ive never riden one ...yet. thats also a nice bigbike.
I havent ridden the m109, but from all Ive read, its is also a torque monster?? How does it compare to the V2K??? visually, both have headlights that have esthetics issues with me. The "freight train" V2K headlight , is very functional, but It took a LONG time for me to warm up to it. My 08 Classic has a much more pleasing look {for me) but its NO better functionally.
As for the Rocket three, I have some issues , but all in all its a nice bike. I just lost my zeal for British motors, thanks to a couple of horrid cars & a an old BSA experience. I havent been able to repair my disdain for British electrics , That" negative earth" thing, under the bonnet, etc LOL and the words "Lucas electric" bring back some irritating memories LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
as far as the M109...it is a bit faster than the V2K but its a whole different type of power curve as it redlines at 7200 rpms. YET... im perfectly content with the power of my V2K.I definetly get the same thrill from riding either and would buy either if i could not get the other.makes sense? yeah...both their headlites are weird looking. neither is a real problem for me.

rocket III...I forgot about british electricals and I have had an MGB,TRIUMPH TR250,and A JAGUAR XKE.you are right.how could i forget!!!!
plus...its ugly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
as far as the M109...it is a bit faster than the V2K but its a whole different type of power curve as it redlines at 7200 rpms. YET... im perfectly content with the power of my V2K.I definetly get the same thrill from riding either and would buy either if i could not get the other.makes sense? yeah...both their headlites are weird looking. neither is a real problem for me.

rocket III...I forgot about british electricals and I have had an MGB,TRIUMPH TR250,and A JAGUAR XKE.you are right.how could i forget!!!!
plus...its ugly.

I guess time does heal all? , NO!!!!! , never owned a Jag , but the MGB , Triumph Spitfire, BSA = B A D electrics !!!!!! Can not see why a Jag wouldnt suffer similarily !!! How quick we forget ??? Gee is THAT an age thing?? Im worried? What were we taking about???LOL
OH forgot , add an Austin into that mix too LOL Really BAD electrics
forgot another , geez , the absolute worst a Vauxhall !!!!! See I tried to forget it , almost worked too LOL, maybe I was just to ashamed to admit the Vauxhall LOL
Merry Christmas!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've probably lived too long. I always hate having to explain "Lucas, the Prince of Darkness."
But this is the time to strike. Finally a situation where I can say it and most of the posters here will understand it.
Thanks gentlemen.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've probably lived too long. I always hate having to explain "Lucas, the Prince of Darkness."
But this is the time to strike. Finally a situation where I can say it and most of the posters here will understand it.
Thanks gentlemen.

TOTALLY understood LOL glad we could help LOL
Merry Christmas

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks gentlemen. TOTALLY understood LOL glad we could help LOL
Merry Christmas
If I even HEAR the word Lucas, I will wash my ears out with a stong detergent!!!!

(Former Goldstar & Victor owner)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I never had the pleasure of owning any British vehicles, so I had to google the reference to Lucas. For those who aren't familiar with Lucas, here's what I found:

http://www.hermit.cc/mania/tmc/articles/lucas.htm

funny stuff, if you're not on the side of the road in the middle of the night...

·
Registered
20 Posts
BUT........I loved my English bikes back in the day.
Especially my 1951 Ariel Square Four. Headlight went out on a dark back road and I had to get home. Ran it right into a gate across the road and spent 2 months in the hospital and all I was concerned about was the condition of the bike.
Minor inconvenience old boy.

·
Registered
864 Posts
It is a real shame they decided to quit the V2k . I have a Voyager as well and its way more top heavy than my Beast, its also a bit%# to pick up off the stand ! But as far as grunt & torque is concerned there is no comparison i will take my V2k any time. I will cast my vote to keep mine until one of us is to old to get up and go..... Bulldozer, apply named cause they hear me coming .

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I sometimes envy you who can ride the V2K and similar machines!

Lucas electrics - a joke in my college days! A roommate had an AH Sprite and between the electrics and the carbs the situation generally was run the car one weekend and spend the next sorting it out again. But it was a lot of fun to drive, with lightning-quick handling and amazing input response, unlike much of the heavy stuff which is passed off as sports cars today.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am not the sportbike type but more of a gentleman rider who likes a bit of comfort and the feeling of riding a bike very few have seen in my area, in fact I mine is the first one sold in over 4 years and the only one in my city, just park it in the main street and a crowd gathers. They simply are not popular and did not sell but then again I never saw one advertised either, in fact I have not seen a motorcycle advert on television for anything other than Harley. I think that lack of sales is one of the reasons for their demise. Perhaps I should buy another one and store it for posterity but at $ 25000.00 it is an expensive ornament.

The Rocket was also considered but my allegiance has always been Kawasaki. When the day comes and I can no longer handle the V2K a VN 900 custom ( if available ) will sit in the shed next to the Holden.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

·
Registered
198 Posts
If I ever get another bike it would have to have even more horsepower and torque than the V2K. I'm interested in the new 6 cylinder BMW K 1600 GTL that will be coming out soon. Its claimed to have 160 horsepower (at 7750 rpm) with a maximum torque rating of 129 ft/lbs (at 5250 rpm)-of which 70% is available at only 1,500 rpm. It's certainly no cruiser (more of a luxury sport touring bike), but it looks pretty awesome nonetheless.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
If you are really interested in more power go get you a Boss Hoss. You can get them with either a small block chevy V-8 350 cid or go all out with a full 500 cid full house monster. Somewhere in the neighborhood of Waaaaayyy too much horsepower and torque.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
discontd'

CP, I think you are right , there really could be a limit to TOO much power & the 503 Boss Hoss , may have crossed the line.
I saw a guy at Sturgis who rode a 503 , with 703 dyno hp painted on it {big block Chevy on NOS}
700+ hp on ONE rear tire???? I cannot fathom the throttle response /DANGER factor that accompanies that combo I can only imagine the resulting carnage , when he shouts "HEY GUYS watch this"!!!
I'm a HP junky , but I cannot even begin to define the N E E D for that much hp!
I have ridden the 355 hp version & I must say , was quite impressed , after I got over the intimidation factor that is!!!

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
RKD, There can be no NEED for that much horsepower. It falls under the category of "Because they can". The cost of such is the same. $80,000.00 for a motorcycle is just ludicrous. My first 3 bedroom home only cost $17,250.00

In reality, there is no NEED for the horsepower our V2K's have but it is nice to have it available. We could do with less but at least for the most part the bikes are controllable. With the 503 Boss Hoss there is no way on Earth to control that monster amount of Hp at any throttle above idle.

To me this is synonymous with putting a 1000 hp Hayabusa engine in a Smart Car. It is so powerful that it cannot be kept in a straight line more than 3 or 4 seconds.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts