Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here is the situation, my bike was in shop from october until like march, it took a bit to turn over(used to be instant), got it home, took it off the trailer, tried to start up, wouldnt kick, over, got it charged, and despite working 7 days per week ive been starting it up, letting it run 5 or 10 minutes, and shutting her down, did it today, had to hold the button a bit but kicked over, let it run 10 minutes, now it wont turn over. Am I looking at a battery,alternator, or starter issue, this bike is killing me and I havent even rode it, so no riding this weekend, despite the cold

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd suggest replacing the battery with a gel or AGM battery. Lead acids won't hold a charge once deep cycled, no matter how much you charge them.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I would first make sure your battery terminals and connections are clean and tight. If you have access to a volt meter, I would first do a charging system test. Remove seat, connect volt meter negative to battery negative and positive to positive. Start bike, if it will not start, use jumper cables. Connect to your battery in bike first, the positive to donor battery and finally negative. Start bike, remove cables immediately, check DC volts on meter. You are looking for about 14.4vdc. If this checks out, remove battery and take to local auto parts store for a load test.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you checked that the voltage regulators are working? By the location where they are installed the contacts of the bottom one corrode and they can;t provide enough power to keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Have you checked that the voltage regulators are working? By the location where they are installed the contacts of the bottom one corrode and they can;t provide enough power to keep the battery charged.
I would start here, just give it a look anyway.

Looking for black, corroded/burn-looking connections.

Also, I would forgo the start and run 5 or 10 minutes process. Probably doing more harm than good on many levels, only one of which is not fully topping off the battery.

A good battery and properly functioning electrical system on a VN2K should not require any extra work. Once again, last year I put my VN2K in the unheated winter storage late October or early November. Made sure the battery was fully charged but did NOT disconnect it, nor was it left on a maintainer. Roughly 6 months later, doing NOTHING besides the normal starting process it roared to life pretty much immediately. This is with the original battery that came in the bike when I bought in March of 2010.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Idling the bike for ten minutes after starting is not enough time to recharge the battery. Skip the start-up, use a battery tender and you should have no problems. It will also cut down on condensation from the engine cooling back down.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
battery tender.. I finally replaced stock battery on my 07 last year.. considering theyr assembled and shipped mid year 06, that's 8 yr old battery never gave me any truble.. then one day it just keeled over dead.. I just happened to be in the parking lot of local Honda/yam/zuki/kawi dealer.. so hunerd twenty five? they even charged it and installed it. while I looked at new toys.. no I did not buy one. ponchout

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good to know about the ten minute running being a bad thing, learn something all the time here, ordering a throttle x battery in a bit, 270cc amps, 1 year warranty, and this time buying a tender

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
You shouldn't need a battery tender to get decent life out of the battery.

A battery tender MAY help the battery last longer. But, if you need a battery tender to keep your bike able to start if you don't drive it for a week or two or even a month, there is a PROBLEM with the bike/charging system or an accessory causing too much parasitic load.

Again, mine sits SIX months with NO tender and a five year old battery and it starts FINE after that six months.

If you want a tender fine, but DON'T use it to mask an underlying problem.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

A battery tender MAY help the battery last longer. But, if you need a battery tender to keep your bike able to start if you don't drive it for a week or two or even a month, there is a PROBLEM with the bike/charging system or an accessory causing too much parasitic load.

Again, mine sits SIX months with NO tender and a five year old battery and it starts FINE after that six months.

Honestly, my c90 and other vulcan 2000 sat the whole winter and started right up, this vulcan 2000's battery was purchased by the last owner as a condition to seal the seal the deal, it has had to be charged every year after winter.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
You need to check the regulator connections, closely, if you haven't.

As well, a multimeter to check the parasitic draw and charging voltage if the battery is continually discharging.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to check the regulator connections, closely, if you haven't.

As well, a multimeter to check the parasitic draw and charging voltage if the battery is continually discharging.
gonna have to do that, the battery was fully charged a few weeks ago, had it tested today it had 12cca, its rated for 195 on some offbrand battery thats been on there since 2013 new. im hoping like hell its the battery not mechanically inclined and dont want to put it in the shop again since it took 6 months and about $1300 to get it fixed

·
Registered
394 Posts

This. The OEM battery in my 2009 is dated late 2008, so is approaching seven years young. It's been through a few unintentional deep discharges that were unrelated to time, but once ridden/recharged has never failed to hold a charge for multiple weeks and, sometimes, months. Never has a tender touched its delicate terminals. I'm going to replace it soon, but only because I know that it's likely going to quit suddenly due to mere age.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Consider getting this ...

I replaced mine and a buddies battery this year with a
Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V - 290 CCA
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCXC9AQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Great battery ! Cranks the bike just fine!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts