Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my local Kaw dealer installed Cobra slashdown pipes and a power commander (pcIII usb) my bike doesn't just pop on deceleration, it full-on backfires. It happens on deceleration, but also at times changing gears just as the clutch lever is pulled in. The dealer said because of the limited maps for the pc from dynojet for the vn2000, they had to pull off a map for Vance and Hines powershots. By the way the intake is still stock. Dealer said they have had problems with the Cobra fi2000 so they said I should use the Power Commander. This was installed yesterday and on the way home from picking up the bike I was stopped twice by State and County cops for the backfiring. They both said the pipes were fine but the backfires had to be resolved. No tickets issued luckily. Naturally I will be going back to the dealer to see what they can do, but since the Forum is always so helpful I am posting. Thanks in advance for any light you fine folks can shed on this.
joe

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think your dealer is more concerned with his own "profit". First of all, you don't need any fuel processor with just adding aftermarket pipes. I've run my V2K for a year with Cobra HP ProPipe 2 into 1 and only had minor popping on decel. You'll find lots of bikers than run aftermarket pipes without a fuel processor. A few months ago, I changed-out my stock air filter to the K & N filter. Because the intake now flows more air, I did add the Cobra FI 2000 processor. Not only did it increase the performance, but the fuel mileage is still around 38-39 mpg and there's no more decel "popping". I've had both PCIII and Cobra processors on different bikes, but only when the air intake is modified or changed AND the exhaust was changed to aftermarket from stock. The other problem could be that the acorn nuts aren't tighted to spec or the dealer didn't use "new" crush gaskets when he added your new pipes. If the dealer/mechanic can't fix the popping, tell them to remove the PCIII, cause it's not needed. If they disagree, I can give them plenty of bikers that aren't using the PC III with new pipes and have no issues. One more thing to check: make sure both battey terminals are tight, as this can cause the "backfiring" problem too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power Commander downloads

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Downloads/Default.aspx

Click on link, then enter your motorcycle to get maps. You can easily download to your power commander, using a laptop. Sounds to me that the dealer botched up the mapping. I just remapped mine. Vance and Hines powershot and stock air, and my gas mileage improved alot. Since I bought the bike used I didn't know how it was mapped, but it's much better now.

Has anyone installed a hypercharger on the vn2000? Does it interfere with your right leg? Does it need a vacuum line to operate the butterflies?

Another link

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?l=page_view&p=map_vn2k

·
Registered
240 Posts
roncre

I went to their site last night too, and the closest map to joestews set -up is the one
that the dealer already loaded, map M211-003, which is what should be loaded on your
V2K. I agree with you, that map should be close enough for his bike to run without a problem. I wonder if the dealer has the injector connectors reversed. I read about that happening to another rider and he claimed the same type of problems, more backfiring than popping. As far as the hypercharger, I don't think it should be an issue, as the stock filter, as you know, is very large. I had one on my '05 Classic 1600 and changed it to the BAK because of the leg problem . As far as the vacuum line, you can probably find a vacuum fitting on the backside of the intake manifold. You could leave the butterfly "open" all the time, but I don't how much that will effect the performance and possibly allow water to enter. The filter is oiled and supposed to be waterproof, but that's operating under normal conditions. I didn't find any difference between the BAK or the hypercharger, regarding performance, but both looked good on the bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 07 back fires on deceleration but it is not loud or annoying. It's a slight pop or two. This only happens from say 3K when backing off the throttle, not between shifts.

PC3, V&H power shots, complete K&N filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Joestew

I would also check for exhaust leaks. I had a bolt that connects my exhaust come loose and noticed backfiring. Also I am not sure if you need an O2 eliminator. I believe that the California models may have additional emission requirements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For Gabriel;

What map did you use for the pc3 with powershots and K&N filter? I couldn't find one for the V2k.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roncre . . . my 05 vn2000 had a hypercharger installed when I purchased the bike used (not too used, 4k miles on it) . . . doesn't bother my leg at all (6'2", 210 lbs) and I believe that it does have a vacuum line that operates the butterfly valves on the hypercharger.

It has V&H powershots installed as well, and when I bought the back it had a hellacious backfire problem . . . people were hitting the ground downtown when I'd drive through. The previous owner had removed the baffles. When I bought the bike he included the baffles in the purchase. I put the baffles back in and it mellowed out the backfire problem considerably.

It also has a Dynatek fuel controller installed; I tweaked the settings on it a bit (base curve set for aftermarket air and exhaust, other 3 pots set at 0 for now, were set all the way lean) and that helped some. Now I only get a little decel pop, not a full-on backfire like before. And does it run? Oh mama . . . . !!!!:eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 04 V2K with hypercharger,Jardine drag pipes and power commander has no backfire at all.Im 5'10" and the hypercharger does hit my leg,but for the looks I can live with that.
cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
almost solved

I am getting closer to solving the problem. Put on Smartpartz baffles for Cobra slashdowns. That cut the metallic sound and volume somewhat, but more importantly eliminated some of the backfiring. Pipes were checked for loose nuts on headpipes. No leaks there. A couple of great mechanics at my local Honda shop made me a map for the power commander that furthur eliminated some backfires. They are still there once in a while on de-cel, but the 08 V2k won't let go of them altogether. It seems to like some back pressure. It's just about livable now. Thanks to all for the helpful responses. It's almost a relief knowing mine isn't the only V2k with the problem. Almost seems like the 08 and 09 are completely different animals. I'll post any new developments if the situation improves.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am getting closer to solving the problem. Put on Smartpartz baffles for Cobra slashdowns. That cut the metallic sound and volume somewhat, but more importantly eliminated some of the backfiring. Pipes were checked for loose nuts on headpipes. No leaks there. A couple of great mechanics at my local Honda shop made me a map for the power commander that furthur eliminated some backfires. They are still there once in a while on de-cel, but the 08 V2k won't let go of them altogether. It seems to like some back pressure. It's just about livable now. Thanks to all for the helpful responses. It's almost a relief knowing mine isn't the only V2k with the problem. Almost seems like the 08 and 09 are completely different animals. I'll post any new developments if the situation improves.
Joe - I have an '08 Classic and I was wondering if you ever managed to tweak your setup enough to get rid of the decel popping? I'd like to see what your mechanics did to your map as well. What kind of mileage are you getting? Thanks -- Dave

·
Registered
148 Posts
After my local Kaw dealer installed Cobra slashdown pipes and a power commander (pcIII usb) my bike doesn't just pop on deceleration, it full-on backfires. It happens on deceleration, but also at times changing gears just as the clutch lever is pulled in. The dealer said because of the limited maps for the pc from dynojet for the vn2000, they had to pull off a map for Vance and Hines powershots. By the way the intake is still stock. Dealer said they have had problems with the Cobra fi2000 so they said I should use the Power Commander. This was installed yesterday and on the way home from picking up the bike I was stopped twice by State and County cops for the backfiring. They both said the pipes were fine but the backfires had to be resolved. No tickets issued luckily. Naturally I will be going back to the dealer to see what they can do, but since the Forum is always so helpful I am posting. Thanks in advance for any light you fine folks can shed on this.
joe
You do not need a fuel programer ..DID you or any one plug off the Air switching valve on the valve covers?????

....ASW is like reed valves on 1500 1600 the V2K has ASW on decel it shoots air into the exhaust to burn any unburnt gas it back fires you will not hear it with stock pipes after market pipes thus decel popping, block off the ASW hoses on each valve cover. (I remove all hoses and cap the valve cover pipe with 3/8" vacumn caps)
bare

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ponch or Bare, either of you have any pics of your current set up? I am about to put on my barons big air kit and would like to see where you eliminated the EPA crap so i can do the same. Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
Remove ALL the Air Injection Valve and hoses that feed from the airbox to the top of the two heads. thats right! get rid of all of it. put 2 rubber hose plugs/caps on top of those nipples on the heads. plug up all the holes in yor airbox. While your at it get rid of that crankcase pressure vent hose that runs from the back of the tranny to the airbox. run a new hose off that motor nipple down out to the ground behind the gas overflow lines. Yes, you read that right. get rid of all this EPA KRAP. you will not experience any more of that annoying popping in the pipe on decel. you have eliminated the source of it. all that fresh air injected into the now rich exhaust on decel onto those HOT Katalyzers. all this oxygen and the lel of that fuel on those hot katz = snap,krakle,pop goes the weasel... shoot that fuggin weasil dead in the head.

or leave all this krap in place and live with the racket. ponchout

btw,, and thro away that air selenoid valve. put 22ohm resistor accross the plug and the fi lite will go out.
I love to get rid of all this crap but my only concern is the mini-filter that Kury ( Hypercharger ) says for me to install on the Air sensor. I just don't know what the effects would be if I didn't have the filter hooked up . Do you know ?

·
Registered
445 Posts
pretty sure that was correct. put an ohm meter on the load, read that selenoid air valve and see what resistance you get.?
Gotch ya !
Got to figure it out on how to do that. With tank off.
The electrical bundle on the left would be unplugged.
So I don't know if that will interfere with checking it. If it does.
I guess I''ll tap into the lines and have the leads coming out underneath
the sides of the tank and test it there.

But when do you think that valve is actuated ?
Right from start with power on or with the bike running or running and only activating with a certian rev ???

Know nothing about this sh#[email protected]$

·
Registered
445 Posts
I realized after I posted that resistence doesn't have to have power going threw it.
So if you have one handy to check for me that would be great.

·
Registered
445 Posts
19.7 ohms is what I measure. Having read some documents, they recommend 22ohm. Get rid of this valve. Put a 22ohm resistor in the white connector that plugs in here. The resistor is faking out the ECU to think that there is still a Load present and keeps it from displaying an Alarm at the FI lite. mines been in there for 3.5yrs, 31k miles. it works.

So do I cut off the white connector and attach the risistor to the two wires
or
do I solder the risistor to two wires and attach female connectors and attach those
to the two male connectors of the white plug ?

Side note there buddy....
You inspire me to get my hands more involved in my ride
and to go that extra step and help out whenever possible.
Very much appricated

1 - 20 of 23 Posts