Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was poised to buy some V+H slashcuts for a very low price (see my other thread).
Just as I was about to hand over my hard earned cash I admitted to myself that I actually prefer the look of the stock pipes to the "thinner" look of the V+H's.
So do I buy something that I think looks inferior just to get the sound I want or do I try the debaffle / baffle drill mod?
Are there any problems with drilling the baffles as some people are saying and does it make much improvement on the sound?
Also does anyone else agree that the stocks look "beefier" and superior to the v+h's?

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
Well the debaffled stock does sound better then stock. I was happy with them for about a year, but ended up replacing them. However, I never did care for the looks of the stock pipes, I always like the more curved or "swept" style of pipes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a full debaffle and I like the sound, it's louder but not obnoxious, softer than most aftermarket pipes and with quite a nice purr once it's fully warmed up. It's much better than just drilling a few holes. Like you, I think the stock pipes look pretty good too.

But you don't look at the pipes while you're riding (hopefully!) so if the V&H pipes are good price and you're sure you like the sound, I'd go for them. You can always put the stockers back on if you don't like the V&H, but you can't rebaffle.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was poised to buy some V+H slashcuts for a very low price (see my other thread).
Just as I was about to hand over my hard earned cash I admitted to myself that I actually prefer the look of the stock pipes to the "thinner" look of the V+H's.
So do I buy something that I think looks inferior just to get the sound I want or do I try the debaffle / baffle drill mod?
Are there any problems with drilling the baffles as some people are saying and does it make much improvement on the sound?
Also does anyone else agree that the stocks look "beefier" and superior to the v+h's?
This subject has been beaten to death here. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info. Personally, I'm like you, I like the look of the stock pipes. I drilled the center "screens" (it's more like a metal plug or cap) and drilled 9 holes in each baffle end plate. I like the sound and it's free.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have a full debaffle and I like the sound, it's louder but not obnoxious, softer than most aftermarket pipes and with quite a nice purr once it's fully warmed up. It's much better than just drilling a few holes. Like you, I think the stock pipes look pretty good too.

But you don't look at the pipes while you're riding (hopefully!) so if the V&H pipes are good price and you're sure you like the sound, I'd go for them. You can always put the stockers back on if you don't like the V&H, but you can't rebaffle.
+1 as well. I like the look and sound of my stock pipes (full debaffle). Have had them debaffled for over a year now and still like them. Saved a bunch of money (I too was looking at the V&H slashcut pipes). Since adding an intake and fuel mgmt the sound is even deeper (more air coming through the pipes). But, at the end of the day, it's your perference. So, make the bike your own. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put the V&H slashcuts on my 900 and absolutely love the sound. They are loud! I also really liked the look of the stock pipes, and thought about debaffling them. I decided not to and ordered the slashcuts. They are a little thinner than the stock pipes, but they still look great. After a few days I didn't really notice the difference in appearance between the stock and v&h. I say buy them, I am EXTREMELY happy I did! Also, youtube videos only give a rough idea on exhaust sound. With the V&H slashcut staggered exhaust, I can tell you that the actual sound is much nicer and louder than the online videos portray.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I know the 800 is a bit diffeent, but I debaffled mine and have had people say they like the throatier sound "deeper tone" than thier after market pipes. Many have said thiers sound tinny next to mine. But just like style, sound is a matter of what makes your heart beat faster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did not use a fuelpak. Runs great, just a slight pop once in awhile on deceleration, but not bad at all. Bike sounds great!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Debaffle stock, if you don't like it, you were already considering the purchase of new pipes right?

I'm with the others. I actually really prefer the look of stock pipes (especially debaffled) and was quite pleased with the sound. It doesn't sound quite as good as some aftermarket pipes (though better than others), but it's also not nearly as loud. It's loud, but, it's also not obnoxious.

I'm a proponent of debaffled stockers. But, if you are already considering the purchase of aftermarket pipes, then you've got nothing to lose right?

I will say though, when I was debaffling, I went through the 'stages' just to try it out. I didn't like the sound at all until the baffles were OUT. It doesn't get much louder than just holes drilled, but it does get much, much deeper/rumblier. I really recommend just yanking the baffled out. Looks much better that way as well.

Some people paint the inside black but I just cleaned the insides of my pipes out real good. I think the shiny/slightly blued pipes look better than when painted black.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts