Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the Vance & Hines Straight Shot pipes on their 1500 Classics? I have a set that was on my 1998 when I bought it. I ordered the Hot Tip Billet ends to finish it off and they don't quite fit. They look like they want to fit, but there is no way that I can get them to insert into the pipes. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks...Bill G

·
Registered
171 Posts
So, I don't know if this is the problem, but I had a similar problem. When I bought my bike I had Cobra Speedster slashdown exhaust on it, but the PO hadn't attached the slashdown tips on it because he couldn't get them to fit. Turns out he just had the heatshields slid up too far for the holes to line up. So to fix it all I had to do was loosen the clamps holding the shields on and slide them back a bit. Then the holes lined up and after installing the tips I just slid the shields up as far as I could and tightened it all back down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish it was this easy......The tips look like they are supposed to fit as the nestle into the pipes just a hair. It's like the pipes are 2 1/4" and the tips are 2 33/64"?!?! A big whollop with a block of wood and sledgehammer might take care of the problem, but I don't want to chance having them get stuck in the wrong position. Is it possible to belt-sand chrome?? Thanks......BillG

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The tips look like they are supposed to fit as the nestle into the pipes just a hair. It's like the pipes are 2 1/4" and the tips are 2 33/64"?!?! A big whollop with a block of wood and sledgehammer might take care of the problem, but I don't want to chance having them get stuck in the wrong position.
Assuming the hot tips slip _over_ the pipes then you can try heating the hot tips and maybe use dry ice to cool the pipes. I'd give that a try before sanding anything off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Assuming the hot tips slip _over_ the pipes then you can try heating the hot tips and maybe use dry ice to cool the pipes. I'd give that a try before sanding anything off.
Or if the tips fit inside the pipes, try throwing them in the freezer for a while to shrink them ever so slightly.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Or if the tips fit inside the pipes, try throwing them in the freezer for a while to shrink them ever so slightly.
That was my first thought but looking at pics on-line seemed to show the tips fitting over the pipes. If he has to cover almost 1/4in in diameter difference then shrinking the tips down that much might be a bit of a challenge. Either way I'm guessing it's going to take a combination of heat and cold to get those to fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts