Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered, and I know i will get a multitude of opinions, but i wanted to ask the question anyway.:D

I'm planning on installing the V&H Staggereds on my 900, do I go with a power commander or not?:confused:

If you have reasons for/or against please state them.:eek:

Thanks for all of your help

Ray

·
Registered
782 Posts
Alright, I'll bite! Since no one else has yet. The general consensus is that if you only change the pipes, you don't need a power commander. I personally have done up to stage 2 debaffle on the stock pipes with no ill effects. If however, you also go to a high flow air intake of any kind, as well as changing your pipes, then you will need to use some type of FI computer like the Power Commander.

I had a mechanic explain it like this. Assume you have a 4 inch pipe with a 1/2 inch flow restrictor at each end. If you take the flow restriction off one end but not the other, you have not affected the amount of air flow through the pipe. It is only when you remove both restrictions that more air will go through the pipe. This is exactly what is happening with your bike. The intake and the exhaust are both restrictors. Removing one alone does not make more air go through the engine because you are still restricted at the other end. And as long as the air flow is not drastically changed, the stock computer can handle the fuel/air mixture.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I agree.... Intake + exhaust = PC. Just doing the exhaust shouldn't neccessitate one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know this has been covered, and I know i will get a multitude of opinions, but i wanted to ask the question anyway.:D

I'm planning on installing the V&H Staggereds on my 900, do I go with a power commander or not?:confused:

If you have reasons for/or against please state them.:eek:

Thanks for all of your help

Ray
If you haven't already bought the V&H Staggered pipes yet I have a brand new set still in the box (looked at but never installed) along with new Kawasaki Exhaust port gaskets you can have for $300.00 plus shipping. I really wanted to put them on but I have a neighbor across the street from me that aloowed me to put up a storage shed as I live in an apartment with no garage in his yard to keep the bike in and out of courtesy I don't want to be getting him and his family up at early morning hours. I'm in Lockport, N.Y. (near Buffalo) so possibly depending on where you are in N.Y. we could arrange pick-up or low cost shipping. E-mail is [email protected] if you are interested.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the same pipes. I wouldn't recomend the PC unless you upgrade your intake.
But most aftermarket pipes makers do recommend it even when they don't manufacture a fuel management!

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you haven't already bought the V&H Staggered pipes yet I have a brand new set still in the box (looked at but never installed) along with new Kawasaki Exhaust port gaskets you can have for $300.00 plus shipping. I really wanted to put them on but I have a neighbor across the street from me that aloowed me to put up a storage shed as I live in an apartment with no garage in his yard to keep the bike in and out of courtesy I don't want to be getting him and his family up at early morning hours. I'm in Lockport, N.Y. (near Buffalo) so possibly depending on where you are in N.Y. we could arrange pick-up or low cost shipping. E-mail is [email protected] if you are interested.
PM sent on the pipes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You may not have to put a fuel controller on but it will make it run better with the PC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I will put them on and see how it runs.
Bobkay, thanks for the offer but I already have the pipes. Hopefully you can sell them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts