Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I still have to ask, and hope my lack of knowledge regarding motorcycles isn't too aparent.

My VN900 is my first Motorcycle Ever. And only the second one I've ever rode(I think the motorcyle in the state sponsored safety course was also a Kawaski but Can't be sure.)

Anyway. Does anything different happen when you stall the engine versuses while moving versuses at a stop? I unknowingly started in second, (either that or the high 40s cold affected my hands in such that I was not able to engage the clutch as fast.)

I would probably say the latter since I sucessfully got going from the stop sign making a left turn, but then stalled it, and restarted the ignition at the end of the turn, while the bike was in motion (~5mph)

·
Registered
295 Posts
But I still have to ask, and hope my lack of knowledge regarding motorcycles isn't too aparent.

My VN900 is my first Motorcycle Ever. And only the second one I've ever rode(I think the motorcyle in the state sponsored safety course was also a Kawaski but Can't be sure.)

Anyway. Does anything different happen when you stall the engine versuses while moving versuses at a stop? I unknowingly started in second, (either that or the high 40s cold affected my hands in such that I was not able to engage the clutch as fast.)

I would probably say the latter since I sucessfully got going from the stop sign making a left turn, but then stalled it, and restarted the ignition at the end of the turn, while the bike was in motion (~5mph)
I'm not sure what your question is. You didn't hurt the bike if that's what you're after, and you didn't fall over so it's all good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I stalled my se this summer on a detour with a whole line of cars and worse bikes behind me. I was in second. No doubt we've all done it so don't fret the only harm is to our self asteem

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
no dumb quesitons... just unclear ones... LOL;)

If I understand you, it doesnt hurt the engine either way.... put in clutch and restart and shift to proper gear and go !

I recover from this situation myself if I left it in second without killing it, by engaging the clutch a little more slowly on the roll out from the stop as a normal practice. If I left it in second by mistake, the engine lugs a bit but will pretty quickly get up to a speed where you can fully engage the clutch. You can tell this happened before it dies with practice.

If you left it in 3rd or 4th, you are toast and it will die....but try engaging the clutch more deliberately from start as a normal practice and you will find this works....
Anne

·
Registered
242 Posts
My second week of riding I stalled at a red light next to a guy on a little white scooter. It was humiliating but could have been worse.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nothing different happens. Just need to restart and get into a gear that you know you can go from. 1st or 2nd. You need to downshift if your in 3rd or more or else you will just stall the bike again. I sometimes take off from 2nd. As long as you can get it to go again. Smaller bikes will need more trottle and clutch work to get going from 2nd. On my 1700 I have enough power to go from 2nd no problem. So next time it happens and you know your in second just start up like you did, either take off again in 2nd or downshift to 1st and go. Dont even think about it or what others think. Happens to everyone.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've be riding quite a while, but stilled stalled the Vulcan at a stop within the first mile of ownership. I think it was a second gear start, but I really don't remember for sure. Not a big (or even a little) deal

Happens to everyone. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lifecast is right pulling away in 2nd shouldn't be a problem the bike is more than powerfull enough, it's all about clutch control.
As for stalling the bike everybody has done it, it's a non event don't sweat it.
As for damage to the bike, not a chance not from a stall.
The only diffs between a moving stall and a standing stall is, when moving you may still have he chance to engage your clutch and roll start your bike

·
Registered
29 Posts
When it stalls out like that, I have found I can't pop the clutch to start it, I have to use the starter. Something to do with the EFI, I think. I have taken off in 3rd before, it is ugly but can be done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Done that when I do not get it all the way down to 1st, but usually realize it starting off and do not let clutch out as quickly.

I've had more problem with the heal shift on my 900LT. This is the first bike I've had with a heal shift and sometimes starting off I accidentally bump it into neutral when moving my foot from ground to floorboards. Thats a bit embassasing when accelerating through a busy intersection.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the positive input.
I probably stalled it twice (I Think), since the first time I stalled I probably tried to restart the ignitiion, stalled again thinking it was already in first, then downshifted all while moving.

I really can't say for certain, as at the time I was more concerned about not colliding with the 18 wheeler 20 feet behind me. I'm pretty sure that would not have been pretty, So of course my attention was more "automatic" than "thinking and acting".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got one. I took of in third crossing busy road in Myrtle Beach during fall bike rally two weeks ago. Noboby, including my passenger, thought I would make it (horns blaring), but me. Not pretty. Tap your left foot everytime before you take off. Make sure you are in first.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah if you were only going 5 mph you are lucky you didn't dump it when it stalled. I did that on my little Ninja the first week I had it. I had bulky winter gloves on and bumped the kill switch. Fell right over. Fortunatly for the bike I was able to get under it so it didnt get damaged. And fortunatly for me the Ninja didn't weigh as much as our fatso 900.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts