Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall,
I hope all is well everyone!

I recently remember when i am at a stop lite on the vn900b, aftr riding for a while, I usually do not put it in neutral so the clutch is pulled in, and most of the times, if its a long lite the fan will come on, almost every time.

so the question spurs, is it better to put the bike in neutral and give the clutch a break at stop lites ( or wat is best to keep the bike cooler and fan off)? what do you yall do at lights?

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it’s a long light I give my hand a rest and put it in neutral. I haven’t noticed that clutch in or out makes a difference to the heat of my bike

·
Super Moderator
2,080 Posts
I am in the habit of putting the bike in neutral just before I stop. No sense putting extra pressure on the cable and clutch components. But when I am in a high traffic situation, always sit there in gear just in case I have to move quickly.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I’d say at least 90% of the time I just hold the clutch in when stopped in traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Being in neutral or in gear should not affect engine heat. When you are sitting at a light, little or no air is passing thru the radiator, so the coolant will get hotter, causing the fan to come on, especially on a hot day.

I try to be in first by the time I come to a stop, or as soon as possible in a fast stop situation and I stay in gear unless there is very clearly nothing behind or around me that can threaten me. Even then, I only go into neutral for a few seconds to rest my hands and I keep a paranoid eye on what's going on around me. Being in gear while stopped has saved my bacon a couple of times, allowing me to scoot out of situations that would have turned me into the meat of a two cager sandwich.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Second that. I do not like to sit on the streets with the bike in Neutral. No telling when a distracted driver doesn't see you and a couple seconds saved could make a big difference in your well-being..

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone! so my 2nd ques. is , i recently changed the coolant, if I drive back roads 40mph after 15-20mph, and i hit lights/stops, ( 95 degrees), I am surprised that the fan comes on each time. Is that normal with this bike, if it is, I just dont think thats right?

·
Registered
247 Posts
How often do you think the fan runs in your car? When you stop you have no air moving across the radiator or engine. For any vehicle stopped and idling is were a properly running vehicle will get the hottest during normal driving conditions. The fans on most bikes will usually only operate at slow speed and stopped conditions because it needs more airflow across the radiator. Relax and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I think there are "high performance" fans available for goldwings, but I doubt that you will find anything that will work on your bike.

Let the fan you have do it's job. Even with a faster fan, all you are going to do is blow more hot air on you. Yes, it may cool the engine a little better, but it is still going to run every time you stop for a light and turn off when you start moving. Being stopped is when the fan is needed most, so that's when it will run no matter how big or fast it is. Only if you plan to ride at temps well above 100° would a "high performance" fan actually provide some small benefit, IMO.

Some folks add switches to turn on their fans manually. If they are in stop and go traffic, they can keep the fan running between stops to cool the engine a little better. Others automate it with 3rd party gadgets that turn the fan on/off at lower temps. Either method still makes the fan run more often than it does now. But if you are really concerned, you might do want to look into these things.

You could also increase the efficiency of the coolant by adding an additive such as Royal Purple Ice. Some folks swear by Engine Ice, but I think it is snake oil. It is propylene glycol (PG) with additives like found in Purple Ice. PG is not as efficient a coolant as ethylene glycol (EG) which is more commonly used. Additives to EG should make it work better than Engine Ice.

·
Registered
2015 Vulcan 900 Classic, 2015 Vulcan S
2 Posts
thanks everyone! so my 2nd ques. is , i recently changed the coolant, if I drive back roads 40mph after 15-20mph, and i hit lights/stops, ( 95 degrees), I am surprised that the fan comes on each time. Is that normal with this bike, if it is, I just dont think thats right?

My VN900B has the fan come on at just the same frequency you describe. It’s doing its’ job to keep the coolant cooler on a hot day. There is a ‘dummy light’ on your dash with a coolant/thermometer icon next to it - if that comes on, then you’re actually overheating. Nothing to worry about otherwise. My bike’s fan usually won’t come on at all under 60F with normal riding.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks- what coolant do you have?

do you have a picture where the 'dummy light' would be on the tank dash you said, so i know i can look for it? thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Liondog,

Go take a look at your dash and you will see 4 lights with symbols beside them, those are your warning lights. As long as you used the correct coolant specified for the bike it will be fine. You do not live in an extreme climate and your bike is acting normal for the conditions. These bikes are very solid with well designed cooling, fueling, and oil passages making them extremely reliable from the factory. I don't know if you are worried something is wrong or just want to change something on the bike but i think it is time you relax and enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
63 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
AND its not just your bike model, so what are you comparing to???
Mine acts the same - 1995 500 vulcan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Again any vehicle with water cooling will act this way. Also adding a 'high performance fan' will accomplish nothing. The only way to increase the airflow across the radiator is to increase the velocity since you cant change the volume. Most radiators are designed for maximum efficiency at around 30 to 40 mph (this number varies but is a good average for on road vehicles). Air moving any faster then the designed speeds has little effect on the heat transfer from the radiator to the air. In reality these coolant additives do very little to help cooling, they may change the specific heat value for the coolant allowing lower coolant temperatures but they will not increase the heat transfer between the radiator and the air.

·
Registered
722 Posts
One thing to add here if someone hasn't already said it yet, do NOT partially block the radiator with some weird chrome or blacked out accessory. I purposely bought my VN900 without ANYTHING covering the radiator. If you do this, you make the cooling system and the fan work that much harder to keep your bike cooled down. Even Kawi, when they sell an accessory like this, sells one that only covers the outside edge of the radiator with chrome. They leave the middle part wide open to cooling air. I personally don't understand why anyone does this. That's just me though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys for showing me the coolant bulb, lol, i had no idea! crazy....its just that the fan comes on a bit, guess ill monitor it fro here if it gets wrose, thanks ever1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts