Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all of the posts about connecting accessories in the headlight assembly and also connecting them directly to the battery. I've even read the warnings about using the factory accessory plugs. I'm well aware of the risks and the alternatives to using these, but I'm willing to give them a try anyway.

I would just really like to try using the factory-provided accessory plug under the tank. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to actually use that plug? Is it already hot and ready to use or do I need to connect it to something else first?

I have the service manual and can't find ANYTHING on this subject. I'm not an electrical person so those wiring diagrams are completely alien to me! The accessory I want to use it with is a Garmin 660.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unless the previous owner did something on my bike, then yes, it is hot already. Best way to checks it to get a voltmeter and stick it in there. If you don't have a voltmeter, get a decent one for at least $20. I guarantee you will use that thing more than enough to make it worth the money.

I've read all of the posts about connecting accessories in the headlight assembly and also connecting them directly to the battery. I've even read the warnings about using the factory accessory plugs. I'm well aware of the risks and the alternatives to using these, but I'm willing to give them a try anyway.

I would just really like to try using the factory-provided accessory plug under the tank. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to actually use that plug? Is it already hot and ready to use or do I need to connect it to something else first?

I have the service manual and can't find ANYTHING on this subject. I'm not an electrical person so those wiring diagrams are completely alien to me! The accessory I want to use it with is a Garmin 660.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I'm hoping you're right and it is already hot. I might already have a voltmeter, but like I said I'm not an electrical person so if I do have one it's sitting in a drawer somewhere collecting dust. :)

Are you currently using any of your factory accessory plugs? If so, have you had any issues with it?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am not using my accessory wires, but so far I have only added a horn and driving lights. The horn has to run off a relay and the driving lights would have over-amped the heardlight circuit for sure. I might add a GPS one day at which time I would definitely wire into the accessory plug for juice. There is nothing wrong with using those wires as long as you don't start blowing fuses. Have fun making her yours!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my plugs. The only electrical problem I've had is that my battery connections at the terminals sometimes quit on me. Not that big of a problem because it's any easy fix and I just haven't gotten around to fixing it. I think one more episode of the bike turning off while I'm riding will convince me though...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've used both without any issues. My driving lights are plugged into the headlamp one and I have power plug for my GPS into the other (which is under the seat just in front of the battery and not under the tank). They're both full time hot. For my driving lights, I just added a relay switch which is controlled by the low beam headlamp wire. In CA it's illegal to run driving lights with a high beam so when I use the brights, the DLs turn off automatically and also don't come on until the headlight comes on after starting. The accessory line is fused at 10 amps.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use the headlight set of wires to power my gps and run my phone. Attach a spade connector to your choice of accessory wires and plug it in..within the 10A fuse rating. The wire is hot all of the time so watch battery drain.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
On mine, the plugs 'bones is talking about (under the seat, in front of the battery) has a white/blue wire that shows hot (with the test light) constantly, but the black/yellow wire does not show hot at all. I'm guessing that is the "hot and ground" possibly put there for an alarm system or something? Anyway, now I have a question: The brown wire in the connector between these plugs we're talking about and the battery(looks like maybe a 14 or 12 guage) shows hot when the key is on. Has anyone tried splicing into that to power a GPS? Do you think that would cause problems elsewhere?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts