Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a used 2008 Vulcan Classic with 2300 miles. Running fine, fluid levels are fine, no unusual engine noise. Would like to take it in for an oil change and a "going over". Anything in particular I should have them check or do?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
1. Go over entire bike with appropriate wrenches, check that all bolts/fasteners are tight.
Pay careful attention to floorboard bolts.
2. Youtube has excellent videos on how to change your oil/ watch and do.
3. Buy yourself a strap wrench NOW. The oil filter is welded on.
4. Oil light comes on when you get it wet (oil sensor is located on motor down by your oil filter) Remove boot, coat with dielectric grease and reattach
5. All ticks, thuds, whirs and whines are inherent to the bike.(Unless it is ridiculously apparent something is wrong)
6. Be ready to experience significant pain when riding longer than an hour....lol. Seat change, airhawk, gelpad....anything helps.
7. Tire pressure is set too low, re-adjust. Search the forum for various recommendations.
8. Hope this helps somewhat, Regards, S.H.

·
Registered
711 Posts
First thing you need to do is stay away from the dealer at least this time. This would be consider the first service and they will hit you high $200+ for just adding new oil, new filter and visually inspect everything. My quote was $260 to be exact so I bought better quality oil and a good filter for about $40 and twenty minutes of my time. The only service I recommend at the dealer is the valve adjustment at 15k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.

Tire pressure checked, both low. Front inflated to 34psi, rear to 38psi per recommendation found on forum for the OEM tires.

I'll check the youtube video. I have a friend that swears by AMSOIL, maybe I'll look into that instead of a trip to the dealer. My local dealer said they would do an oil change and "going over" of the bike for $64.95, I can probably get the AMSOIL cheaper than that.

Thanks for the tip on the oil light, I'll check that out.

My first motorcycle in 12 years and my first cruiser (previously had a 93 CBR1000). The ride is different, but very relaxing and enjoyable!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. Purchased some AMSOIL and a filter and changed the oil myself. Thanks for the tip on the youtube video, it really helped. Can someone confirm that I should be putting 3.5 quarts back into the crankcase?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Purchased some AMSOIL and a filter and changed the oil myself. Thanks for the tip on the youtube video, it really helped. Can someone confirm that I should be putting 3.5 quarts back into the crankcase?
Got this from the svc manual:
Recommended Engine Oil
Type: API SE, SF or SG class
API SH, SJ or SL class with JASO MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
Amount: 2.7 L (2.8 US qt) (when filter is not
removed)
2.9 L (3.1 US qt) (when filter is removed)
3.2 L (3.4 US qt) (when engine is
completely disassembled and dry)

3.1 should be the recommended amount if you changed your filter. I only add 3 full quarts everytime. this minimizes the oil from coming to your intake box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts