Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sensitive about my wheel alignment and can feel the bike pull to one side when they are not aligned. As you know, the adjustor marks on the swingarm are not accurate. I tried to use 10' long conduit pipe to do the same as below, but it was too hard to manage and hold up. Here's what I did.

Taped a long string to the rear tire the height of a battery.

Pulled both ends of the string forward beside the front wheel and attached both ends to the battery terminals.

Working on one side of the bike at a time, I pulled the battery forward to pull the string tight along the left side of the rear wheel so the string just barely touched the front of the rear tire.

Then I gently moved the front wheel so it was parallel with the string and measured the distance between the string and the rim. It measured 1.75".

Moved the battery and string to do the same on the right side of the bike and it measured 1.5". Did the math to calculate that if the front rim was aligned with the rear then the distance should be 1 5/8". So I tightened the rear axle adjuster on the right side to make the rear wheel point slightly more to the right and kept measuring the string to rim distance on both sides and adjusting the axle until both sides measured 1 5/8". My final adjuster mark on the right was 1/2 of a mark more rearward that on the left.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Good info. Wonder how it will effect handling and tire wear in the long run.

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info. Wonder how it will effect handling and tire wear in the long run.
I already noticed a difference in handling. Turning left and right have the same feel. Without proper alignment, one direction will be easier than the other. I predict slightly better tire wear with a more symmetrical wear pattern.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts