Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of our bikes with occasional stator/rectifier issues..

I have a dual USB charger mounted to my handlebars, wired to the rear tail light so that it’s only powered when the bike is running. Working great for two years, keeps my phone and GoPro running for hours.

There are newer models with built-in voltage displays, like the one in the link below.

Is there any advantage to having one with a voltmeter? A sort of early warning sign that something is wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
After I had my stator blow in 2010 I added a volt meter (and I have one on my current bike as well). I don't know how useful it is as a warning, but it makes me feel good to see 14.6 v showing while I ride. On the Vaquero I also use it to keep an eye on the battery if I have the stereo on with the engine off.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I installed a voltmeter in line with my LED driving lights. I have them on their own switch because I used the accessory leads on the bike which are always hot. I think it’s a really smart thing to have. Coincidently my stator died on me last summer a week after I installed it but at least I knew exactly what was going on when I broke down. It came in handy last winter as well because I can check my battery after the bike sits for a while to see if I need to throw it on a charger after a cold snap.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Keep in mind that some of those USB chargers have a parasitic draw. Wire it to be powered with key on. A voltmeter is not a bad idea for monitoring the health of the charging system, though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Keep in mind that some of those USB chargers have a parasitic draw. Wire it to be powered with key on. A voltmeter is not a bad idea for monitoring the health of the charging system, though.
I agree with that, best to have a switch in line or something that can be disconnected easily.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the one I have now (without a meter) is tapped into the tail light. Gets power only when the bike is running. Just gonna swap it for the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the Kury LED gauge on mine too. Very reassuring when it stays in the green what it's been showing me lately is a little less than ideal. Sometimes it just gets into the green occasionally. That said, my battery is now three years old and I think it's time to replace. Nice to have a window into the all-important charging system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts