Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone ever ran the fuel tank dry on the classic? I'm curious to know how much of the 5.3 gallons are actually usable gas. I always fill up around 200 miles because the little amber light starts shinning at 180, even though I know there is a gallon or more still in the tank!

I ran a tank dry on the freeway once in rush hour traffic, reached down and flipped my bike into reserve, and thats when I discovered the reserve tank didn't work.....Not a pleasant experience.

So when the amber light kicks on I get a little stage fright.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I saw in the fuel gauge sticky thread that someone actually strapped a gas can on the luggage rack then to re-fill after running the tank dry to get the "usable" fuel capacity. He calculated this amount to be 4.9 gallons.

Although his research is certainly appreciated, I wouldn't recommend that type of test; it's never a good idea to run a fuel pump dry.

I miss the reserve valve... except the finding out it was open when you thought it was closed part.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I empted my tank then put 4.7 in to the bottom of fill neck.when light comes on it takes 3.7

The most Ive ever put in after driving with light on all the way home from work was 4.5 thats as close as I want to get.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That would be me with 4.9 gallons. I'm glad I did the test, because sure as he!! sometime I'd be counting on the .4 gallons that wasn't there.

By the way, my standard fill point is about 1/4 inch above the bottom plate of the fill collar.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I always fill up when the light comes on, 1.3gal is the current setting. Since the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel I'm in no hurry to do anything to shorten it's life...I bet they cost they bunch.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I coasted into the Flying J on the east side of Salina after rocking side to side made no difference in fuel delivery. I also turned the key off, no use burning up a fuel pump. Put close to 5.4 gallons in if I remember right, I did fill it WAAAAY up to the top and continued on my trip.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hell. couple or so hours in the seat, Im ready to have a Butt and fill up at the same time, I thought draining fuel tanks to the way lower levels was not a good thing, while Im smoking i think .. Hey Mon, theres Ron on his way to go fishing at the Pon .... then i fill up with good old "87" ...... LOL

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hell. couple or so hours in the seat, Im ready to have a Butt and fill up at the same time, I thought draining fuel tanks to the way lower levels was not a good thing, while Im smoking i think .. Hey Mon, theres Ron on his way to go fishing at the Pon .... then i fill up with good old "87" ...... LOL
Soooo, your smoking and filling up at the same time? Guess riding is not dangerous enough for you.;) Don't let the cherry drop in the filler neck when your peekin in there to see the fuel level of your good old 87!:D Can anyone say BOOM!:eek:

Sorry about all the smilies, sometime I just can't help myself.:)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Soooo, your smoking and filling up at the same time? Guess riding is not dangerous enough for you.;) Don't let the cherry drop in the filler neck when your peekin in there to see the fuel level of your good old 87!:D Can anyone say BOOM!:eek:

Sorry about all the smilies, sometime I just can't help myself.:)
Yep, doesnt quite sound right does it .... lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
I didn't intend to run it dry, (yes I know not good for the pump) but the bike was beginning to cut out on me as I just made it to a station on what seemed like fumes last year. The bike was still in it's first weeks of ownership for me. It took 4.76 gallons at that time. That's the most it's ever taken for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts