Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am urgently in need of advice on how to install the factory pulley. Its all that I need to be able to take the bike to work tomorrow. I took it off to fix my wiring harness, and I got all the wires routed properly behind the plate, now just need to reinstall.

1.) What is the torque of the nut?
2.) What is "Anti Fretting" compound? Is it just anti seize? Is there any substitute?
3.) I heard of pully / shaft failures from the nut loosening. Shall I use some Loctite?

·
Registered
643 Posts
1) 93.7 foot pounds
2) there is no permanent substitute for anti fretting compound
3) i suggest loctite on the locking nut threads only, if you use anti seize as temporary for (2) hold off with the loctite until you have applied the anti seize cmpound to shaft and pulley.
4) I suggest running the belt at 7-8mm @ 10lbs more in line with other mfgs of belt drive bikes. IMO the kawi spec is too tight.
5) if there was any slop between the pulley and splines that need to be addressed

WB

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is anti fretting compound? Where do I buy?

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
1. Nut has a locking washer, so Locktite not necessary. If nut comes loose, it is because of a pulley/spline issue.

2. Here is antifretting compound:

SKF anti-fretting agent LGAF 3E

3. If you cannot locate above, then substitute:

AS/65 Assembly Compound « Molyslip Canada Inc. :: Molybdenum Lubricants, Performance Lubricants, Copaslip Anti-Seize, EP2 Grease, Wear Reducing Lubricants, Oil Additive

or equivalent. Must have a high moly content.

4. Apply to splines and nut.

5. Remember, tightening nut does NOT tighten pulley on output shaft. It just stops pulley from falling off.

6. See post 2, point 5.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, with only a few limited weeks left to ride b4 snow, I called around the shops and they all range from anti seize, to engine assembly lube, to lithium grease. I had a jar of antiseize and some red Loctite and used the antiseize on the splines and the red on the threads, torqued, and called it a day. Will order the Chelsea lube as indicated but I will aquire locally. $13 for shipping alone is a rip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts