Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed a wider rear tire on the VN1600 Classic bikes? Looking for a new rear tire for mine but would like to go wider then what they put on these oem. How about as high as a 200/60-16 or would this one rub the side walls? Just figured I would ask before getting a tire that I could not use. :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can't do it, 200 wont fit, I've got a 180/65 on mine and it was a job to get the wheel back in, just clears.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't do it, 200 wont fit, I've got a 180/65 on mine and it was a job to get the wheel back in, just clears.
Is your bike a VN1500 or VN1600?

Mine is a VN1600 Classic and I am running a 180/65/16 on it now and when I put that one on it fell into place no different then the original tire size of 170/70/16 while installing it back in place.

By looking up in the fender on my VN1600 now with the 180 size It looks like there is about 3/4" left before touching the sides of the 180 tire.

I know the VN1500 bikes use smaller tires from the factory then on the VN1600 as the width is even much different on the fenders between the two bikes. VN1500 fenders are not as wide as the ones on the VN1600.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine is the same as yours, I took a 200 and tried to fit it on without the rim there was no way. I'm running a Shinko, maybe wider than your 185 but it's already tight. But go ahead and try, I had a friend with a Harley running a 200 so it was an easy check

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I guess your probably correct. I have a buddy who owns a bike shop and I was going to try one under it to see first hand some day. Maybe inflated on a rim it might fit but off the rim it won't. I will test it out someday when I have nothing to do. Right now my 180 fits good and still has enough of tread for a few more miles.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I did a similar quest for a wider tire for mine ('05 1600 classic) and the search led me to the DARK SIDE, that is putting a car tire. The widest I found I could go was 195 and I had to be installed un-inflated or it would not go in.
After I got it installed and inflated I went under and checked and it barely has credit card thin room on one side with plenty on the other side but because of how the shaft and tire are arranged you can not go wider without messing with your spacers and stuff.
The car tire has about 5'000 miles on it and still looks like new.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a similar quest for a wider tire for mine ('05 1600 classic) and the search led me to the DARK SIDE, that is putting a car tire. The widest I found I could go was 195 and I had to be installed un-inflated or it would not go in.
After I got it installed and inflated I went under and checked and it barely has credit card thin room on one side with plenty on the other side but because of how the shaft and tire are arranged you can not go wider without messing with your spacers and stuff.
The car tire has about 5'000 miles on it and still looks like new.
What is the full size of your 195 wide tire? Also was it a radial tire or bias plys?

·
Registered
894 Posts
The DS tire in the back is a Hankook Optima 195/60 R16, that one gave me the closest diameter to original so to not mess with the speedometer, it has definetly more square profile than a bike tire and it felt a little funny at the beginning but you adjust very easy and get use to it fastr than you would think. The front is a bike tire, Shinko 150/80 h16, on my next front tire change I' ll try to go a little wider.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Not really, I get a little stronger feedback from the road. When going slow, parking lot slow or at a light or stop sign and there are bumps on the street you fight a little more against them, also on the open road the bike wants to correct the lean of the curves, this is very minor and is affected by the air pressure of the tire. All of those are adjusted very easily and after a couple of weeks I did not even think about it.
Every one that goes DS say it is not for everyone, you have to make your own choise, but for a tourer or cruiser this size I'll never have go back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts