Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going Wednesday to (most likely) pick up a 2006 1600 Nomad. It has 11,000 miles on it and is all stock except for a light bar. Anything I need to pay close attention to? I am upgrading from a 900 LT. Hoping this is the one. Any comments would be appreciated.

· Registered
181 Posts
11K is nothing, the obvious like oil or cooland leaks, and check that it doesn't blow white or blue smoke when you start it.

When it starts the solenoids on the right side make a racket so get used to it, but loud clacking might be an issue.

· Registered
34 Posts
At 11,000 miles, it's not even broke in good yet... If it's got the original tires, your might think about tire replacement due to age/dry rot conditions. The only two issues the 1600's have that will require attention in the future are the cam chain tensioners and the weak clutch spring. I did the clutch spring on mine at about 55,000 and the cam chain tensioners at 80,000. Total cost on both repairs was about $100 in parts and I did the work. The rest is just basic maintanance that any bike needs, fluid changes, grease and torque the steering head bearings, and lube the swingarm bearings and drive shaft splines. I'm at 94,000 and counting and it still runs and rides great... Enjoy!

· BOTM Winner, October 2013
311 Posts
Hey, it's a Kawasaki, that says it all, normal maintenance and ride. I love my 07 Nomad, you will love yours too.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sidewalkman I will check it when I crank it up. The bike was previously owned by a motorcycle mechanic, so it is supossed to be in "A1" condition.

Thanks all for the responses. I am looking forward to being a NOMAD owner. I'll post pics when I get it home.

· Registered
7,615 Posts
When you get it, consider flushing the brake and clutch(?) (Can't remember if that model has a hydraulic clutch) fluids. Especially on lower mileage bikes; the maintenance done is usually bare-minimum. Maybe a once a year (or less) oil change and that's about it. Since it is 8 years old; consider flushing coolant and brake/clutch fluid. You'll be glad you did!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.