Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day from Oz my fellow Vulcanians

I am the proud owner of this 900 custom. Overall I can't complain too much except when on the freeway. The 900 only has 5 gears & when in hit 100 kph (65 odd mph) it's kind of all she's got. I "could" give it a bit more but I'm somewhat reluctant to do so.

Which brings me to this post - I'm thinking about upgrading to a 1700 classic, there is an 09 model out there for sale with low mileage & I'm just wondering what other 1700 owners have to say.

I've googled enough reviews to last me a lifetime & they all seem like PR fluff & stuff.

What I'm interested in is freeway & other road handling, riding 2 up & also fuel economy

Thoughts?

Thanks

Vince

PS here is the link
http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/SSE-AD-304995/2009-Kawasaki-Vulcan-1700-Classic?cr=14&psq=(((((((SiloType=[Brand new bikes available]|SiloType=[Brand new bikes in stock])|SiloType=[Dealer used bikes])|SiloType=[Demo & near new bikes])|SiloType=[Private used bikes])&Type=[Road])&Service=[Bikesales])&State=[NSW])&(EngineSize=range[1500..])&(Odometer=range[0..20000])&(Price=range[0..17500])&pso=0&pss=Odometer

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have not been around any of the 900's. But have the 1500's, 1700's and 2000,s (that 2000 is a beast)...

I am surprised that about 100 kmh is all it has. (62 mph) I would have thought that it would be limited to around 105 American mph or 160 kph..

I learned something again today...

BUT................. if you want more cc's pushing you down the highway.... then a 1700 Classic would be a good beast of choice... if you are comfortable with a larger (physical/weight) size scooter....

I am trying to talk my oldest daughter (36) to get a 1700 Classic as she likes that style now. (used to be CBR 600) she has a Yamaha 1100 Silverado of mine right now. Her CBR disappeared out of her locked garage when she lived in Las Vegas Nevada.... She rides my Voyager every now and then but calls it an "old man's" scooter....

·
Registered
138 Posts
vinne
im also in ozz
i went from the 900 to the 1700 voyager and love it
900 is great for around town but if you are going two up and out and about you will love the 1700 ,change exhaust and power come s alive they are a little thirstyer then the 900 but not overly.
The only thing with the classic there isnt much mod stuff in oz for them more the voyager and nomad

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I had a 900, and rode a Vaquero several times. The first time I rode the Vaq, I was comfortable. It's just a slightly larger 900, really. It's easy to control, not overly heavy, and it just feels right. You can't do wrong with a 1700.

I just picked up a 2000, and you can definitely tell the weight difference... However, the power is amazing and it's a ton of fun to ride.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The 900 only has 5 gears & when in hit 100 kph (65 odd mph) it's kind of all she's got. [/url]
I'm also in Oz & ride a stock 9. Just this w'end went for a blatt on the freeway. 130kph & it's pulling 4500 revs so there's plenty more juice in it. Not uncomfortable at all. But yeah - a 1700 is better at those speeds but not as much fun in the city.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The 900 is like a buzz machine compared to the 1700. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike, but comparing the high rpm range to the low thump of the 1700 with a 6 speed really shows the 900's downfall. Get a 1700 and I don't think you'll be looking back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can't speak to the classic, but I just came from a 750cc honda shadow into a 2009 nomad 1700. All I can say is WOW I will never go back. DO NOT LET WEIGHT BE A FACTOR. The balance characteristics are unbelievable the Nomad is so much easier to ride both in the towns and parking lots to the freeways. Do it and don't look back

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
492 Posts
I went from a 900 Custom to a 1700 Nomad about a year and a half ago.

I rode my 900 for 4 years. And I loved the bike, for the most part. The vibration at highway speeds was probably the worst part of that bike. That being said, 65 mph isn't even close to maxing out the 900. I've had mine over 95 mph many times.

However, the 1700 is infinitely more comfortable at highway speeds. The 1700 won't get shoved around by winds and other vehicles as much as the 900. There is also much less vibration at normal highway speeds.

Back road handling is smooth and stable. However this is not a light, quick handling bike. It requires more effort to to turn. That's not a big deal, it just takes getting used to.

Your fuel mileage is directly related to your self control. Normally I get 39-40 mpg. If I keep it under 75 mph. And I don't really get on it leaving stop lights. However, if I get on it. The mileage drops like a rock. I can drop it down into the low 30s.

I highly recommend the 1700s.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I went from a 900 Custom to a 1700 Nomad about a year and a half ago.

I rode my 900 for 4 years. And I loved the bike, for the most part. The vibration at highway speeds was probably the worst part of that bike. That being said, 65 mph isn't even close to maxing out the 900. I've had mine over 95 mph many times.

However, the 1700 is infinitely more comfortable at highway speeds. The 1700 won't get shoved around by winds and other vehicles as much as the 900. There is also much less vibration at normal highway speeds.

Back road handling is smooth and stable. However this is not a light, quick handling bike. It requires more effort to to turn. That's not a big deal, it just takes getting used to.

Your fuel mileage is directly related to your self control. Normally I get 39-40 mpg. If I keep it under 75 mph. And I don't really get on it leaving stop lights. However, if I get on it. The mileage drops like a rock. I can drop it down into the low 30s.

I highly recommend the 1700s.

Ghost everything you said here is spot on. I went the same route 900 LT to a nomad then vaquero. The only difference between us is I get a constant 30mpg with the best of 35mpg. There must be something wrong with the bike. Hmm maybe the rider...lol To the OP You won't go wrong making the switch from the 900 to the 1700. The only thing that will go through your mind is why didn't I do it sooner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not wanting to hi-jack this thread, but I came to the 1700 forum tonight with the exact type of questions as Vinnie. Now my 07 Custom does 65 -70 mph and much more easily. I'm sure Vinnie's will do that, too. I think the concerns with the 900 is the higher RPM's at high speeds. It's something you just eventually get used to and accept, "it is what it is". That's just the way the engine is designed to run. Different pulleys or taller tires will stretch the gears and lower the RPM's somewhat. This will also correct the Speedo. that tends to display up to 10% above actual speed.

What I and I think others are feeling is missing from the 900, is a more comfortable or secure feeling on high speed highway travel. Although I'll push the 65 mph speed limits common to my area, I just begin to feel uncomfortable pushing much over that. However, as others have already said, it's a nearly perfect machine for cruising the local back roads that I love to ride. So, now that I'm partially retired and have a little more time on my hands, I'm thinking of doing some short trips that will include more time on the slab. Found a dealer with a couple new 2011 Vaqueros, if you can call that new, and they seem to fit me pretty good. I really do love my 900. I ride with a buddy who has a HD Softtail. My bike lacks nothing compared to his. Runs right with him, looks and sounds great while doing it. Oh yeah, the 50+ MPG with reg. gas keeps me smiling, too. If I trade it in, I will hate to see it go. It is a great bike to own.

Nomad or Vaquero / Vaquero or Nomad will be the tough decision for me. Both nice bikes! Yeah, looking at HD, too. My buddy is pushing me to go in that direction. Nice bikes, but pricey and it's very hard for me to overcome spending more for what I feel is less. There are some good people riding HD bikes, but when you get in a crowd of them, it's impossible not to be exposed to the arrogance of "If you don't ride a HD, you need to get a real bike". That lifestyle thing they try to sell, just doesn't really attract or mean that much to me.

·
Registered
698 Posts
What I and I think others are feeling is missing from the 900, is a more comfortable or secure feeling on high speed highway travel.
Nomad or Vaquero / Vaquero or Nomad will be the tough decision for me.
As I said earlier my 9 is always cruising at over 110k & I never feels stressed out or uncomfortable. One thing though is that if you wear earplugs the tacho/speedo finds itself going higher than normal because you aren't as aware of the engine revving and wanting to keep it quieter.

As for Nomad/Vaq - I might head that way in the future and although the Vaq looks nice I'd have to put a different shield on it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I will add my two cents...I went from a 900 Classic to a 1700 Classic (no longer have it). The 1700 had a lot of nicer features; 6 speed, self-cancelling turn signals, excellent brakes, tons of power. The main disappointment I had with the bike was it stuttered at low speeds and was very clunky shifting. That said, I was told Rays throttle mod (do a search on here) and a Thunder intake manifold gasket would correct the problem.

If the OP can get the bike for a good price he should consider it. My advice would be to invest in a windshield and lowers, engine bars and you will DEFINITELY want to replace the stock seat. From there you will have a nice cruiser with plenty of power to ride two up. Good luck.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts