Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread url, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​

If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I'm just use to seeing the list of topics that can be easily browsed by scrolling down and quick scanning by eye to choose which one I want to actually read more on. The new format actually posts the OP text with each topic making it a little harder to do a quick view. Like many things, its a change, and will just take some time to get use to on the mobile platform use. Over all a nice design change

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Maybe I'm just set in my ways but I don't like most mobile websites and I don't like them being served automatically. Who moved my cheese?

Writing this from the desktop site version on my Galaxy S5....

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Does not work at all on my Iphone 4s. I have even tried going in through google search and still get the new screen which will not navigate.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Doesn't work at all on my iPhone either. The desktop site worked great. With the new site the text is jumbled, and the menus are unusable.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The add at the bottom of the screen covers my ability to close my browser on my iPhone 5S. Why do we need two adds running, one on top and on bottom?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
After using the new theme for the past few days on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) in both the native browser and the Chrome browser, I have noticed the page-change tool at bottom of screen is a 50/50 shot of working correctly. It will change the page number displayed (example, from "1" to "2"), but no action with the page actually changing when it doesn't work

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
After using the new theme for the past few days on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) in both the native browser and the Chrome browser, I have noticed the page-change tool at bottom of screen is a 50/50 shot of working correctly. It will change the page number displayed (example, from "1" to "2"), but no action with the page actually changing when it doesn't work
I found the same thing on my LG G2 using Chrome. Also, I didn't see any way of determining which threads have unread messages or the "1st unread" button. I'm using past tense because I switched to the desktop version and I can't find any way to switch back.

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the same thing on my LG G2 using Chrome. Also, I didn't see any way of determining which threads have unread messages or the "1st unread" button. I'm using past tense because I switched to the desktop version and I can't find any way to switch back.
Hello,

I have reported the page slider issue. AS for getting back to the new mobile view, you will need to clear your cookies and cache. Right now there is no button to do so.

Thank you for the help!

~KM, community support

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
How do you switch back to the desk top version?

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go to the menu with three white bars on the upper left. Then select exit enhanced view.
To revert back to the mobile mode:
You need to clear your cache and cookies, android/chrome in general: open browser>settings>privacy>delete personal data>cache and cookies, ios/safari: settings>safari>clear cookies
That'll revert it
KN Community Support

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Go to the menu with three white bars on the upper left. Then select exit enhanced view.
To revert back to the mobile mode:
You need to clear your cache and cookies, android/chrome in general: open browser>settings>privacy>delete personal data>cache and cookies, ios/safari: settings>safari>clear cookies
That'll revert it
KN Community Support
Thanks for this.

Way back in 2007 when Steve Jobs touted the iPhone; which wasn't the first smartphone but it was the first that set the tone for 'modern' smartphones (multi-touch displays, more horsepower, etc.) he said it was the end of 'mobile websites', and we were all going to have the pleasure of the full internet on our smartphones.

Here we are in 2014 and web developers are STILL trying to push these crummy mobile websites on phones that are even MORE capable of serving up full desktop websites beautifully. :mad: Thankfully though; we have the ability to disable that atrocious website (IF you can get the menus to work; they only sometimes work); and instead use the full site.

Just as a bit of feedback though; absolutely no moderator/admin functions work under the mobile website. I can't approve new threads (i.e., in the New Member section), or do anything else moderator wise. It's helpful when I can use my smartphone to do things when I'm not near a computer (especially the new member intro's, I get the notification e-mail, tap a couple of things; and poof, within minutes of a new member singing up; they are approved. Conversely, within minutes of a spammer singing up; they are gone!). While, admittedly, I won't be using the mobile website; mods of other VS websites who might use it would probably appreciate if those functionalities were somehow worked in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey there happy folks,

I am not sure when you actually rolled the smartphone stile page out, but here is why I have been away for a while.

I am not very tech savy. I am familiar with standard web interface, but S/phone stuff leaves much out, slower, and harder for me to use. To be honest, I am the guy who starts the car in the winter with a sharpie stuck down the carb when the carb is acting up. I am also the kid who blew all the garage fuses welding a paperclip in side a wall socket while bare foot on moist concrete.

Just a few minutes ago, I asked a much younger coworker why I couldn't see the old style page on my phone. Snatch grab tap tap bang hand back and here you go.

Now I'm back and hope to stay.

Mojo

·
Administrator
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey there happy folks,

I am not sure when you actually rolled the smartphone stile page out, but here is why I have been away for a while.

I am not very tech savy. I am familiar with standard web interface, but S/phone stuff leaves much out, slower, and harder for me to use. To be honest, I am the guy who starts the car in the winter with a sharpie stuck down the carb when the carb is acting up. I am also the kid who blew all the garage fuses welding a paperclip in side a wall socket while bare foot on moist concrete.

Just a few minutes ago, I asked a much younger coworker why I couldn't see the old style page on my phone. Snatch grab tap tap bang hand back and here you go.

Now I'm back and hope to stay.

Mojo
Welcome back, it was rolled out mid September for this site. What phone are you using? And what browser? Also promise me you're teaching your kids, if any, not to do...well most of that haha ;)

KN Community Support

1 - 20 of 36 Posts