Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about my vulcan transmission being kinda clunky when shifting and the positive neutral switch not working all the time. The bike sat at the dealer for over 2 weeks before he even looked at it. I was sweating it was a big problem on my almost new bike. He said no problems, that's just how they work, $100 please. Glad to get it back but hey .....2 weeks before a road test?? Poor service turnaround imo.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I've never had a problem hitting neutral so far.... 10k miles... My Voyager isn't called Betty Clunker for nothing......

The only time mine doesn't clunk in a gear change is from a start and I am in 6th by the time I am doing 15 miles an hour.... other than that.... clunks every gear change...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes they clunk into gear and sound like a java grinder when riding down the road but 10k with only oil and tier change and when you go out to ride no surprises just get on and go what could be better. My gear indecator dose lag or hang in 5th and od

·
Registered
299 Posts
They kept your bike two weeks, and had the gull to charge you 100 bucks for a road test. Probably road it five minutes and found it normal. I am a auto tech and we would never charge that much for no problem. In fact we would say no charge. Just come back for service when needed. That wins a customer for life. I would never go back there.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
$100 for a test ride? WOW! I guess that will keep you from wasting their time, which means when there is something potentially serious you will be hestitant to tell them.

If you positive neutral finder will let you shift into second while at a standstill then there is either something wrong with your positive neutral finder or Kawasaki redesigned it.

If it were me, I would call Kawasaki directly and ask them how the positive neutral finder works.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I recall reading that the positive neutral finder will not work if the bike is not on level ground.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I have not ever had a problem with the neutral finder as long as I am stopped.

H

·
0 Posts
hi
the neutral finder only works properly if the motorcycle is. when it rolls just a little. then it can happen that it does not work or is difficult to find.
it is best to connect them in the first transition and then in the idle.
sometimes looks after the engine oil. kawasaki writes 5 liter motor oil.
with 5.3 liter motor oil on the gearbox quieter and better.

sorry for my bad english

greeting hamster

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
My experience indicates the positive neutral finder works perfect IF: 1. The bike is NOT rolling. 2. You are in 1st gear shifting UP.
If you are in 2nd shifting down, it will NOT stop in neutral.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've never had a problem hitting neutral so far.... 10k miles... My Voyager isn't called Betty Clunker for nothing......

The only time mine doesn't clunk in a gear change is from a start and I am in 6th by the time I am doing 15 miles an hour.... other than that.... clunks every gear change...
Positive Neutral finder?? What's that? I'm lucky if I can find ANY gear. Forget about the indicator in the instrument cluster, half the time it doesn't show any gear. Oh Yeah, and it does clunk.....

hank

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have only missed a gear once on a down shift dropped into neutral instead of first. Just have to remember to stomp harder next time. Heal toe shifter never misses on up shift.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Positive Neutral finder?? What's that? I'm lucky if I can find ANY gear. Forget about the indicator in the instrument cluster, half the time it doesn't show any gear. Oh Yeah, and it does clunk.....

hank
Hank, can you be a little more specific? You have trouble getting the bike to shift in any gear? Your gear shift indicator shows NOTHING half the time? What year and model do you have?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am new to the 1700 (Nomad) but I find the transmission to communicate very well. There is no disguising that a gear change was made.

On the 1700 I have not yet had an accidental engagement of Neutral and I have had the best luck getting into Neutral from first at a complete stop. There is a point where rolling is too fast and it will shift into 2nd.

Even if the gear indicator is not 100%, the Neutral light has always shown to be correct for me.

Maxtech1. I don't think stomping on the shift level will help with the bike changing gears. Anything beyond firm pressure is more than should be needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hank, can you be a little more specific? You have trouble getting the bike to shift in any gear? Your gear shift indicator shows NOTHING half the time? What year and model do you have?
It is an '09 Voyager, I have noticed that the longer I ride, the more problems I see with the indicator. Sometimes I will start out from a stop, only to discover that I am in 2nd, not first. Putting it into first then clunks loud enough for people to look. This is a noisy beast! When in the mountains, and I find it necessary to down shift, if I am in 5th, I may end up in 3rd, or 4th. with a single down shift. It almost seems to be heat related, longer I ride in a day, the worse it gets. Didn't Kaw change something in the transmission on later models to stop some of this? Friend has a '12 and his doesn't do this, but he has commented on the racket mine makes.......Also, the bike whines in 1-2-3 gear at any speed.

hank

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
My experience indicates the positive neutral finder works perfect IF: 1. The bike is NOT rolling. 2. You are in 1st gear shifting UP.
If you are in 2nd shifting down, it will NOT stop in neutral.

This is also exactly what I have found to be true with my Vaquero.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts