Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Update--170/80 tire mod with Scootworks front pulley

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Chuluun 
#1 ·
A few months ago I posted that I'd changed from 180/70 to 170/80 tire to get a taller profile, higher geared setup.

Some doubted that this tire would have sufficient clearance if Scootworks front pulley was installed.

Today, I mounted the Scootworks pulley. The wheel turned freely for the full rotation, but when I ran the bike at 90 mph on the jack, the centrifugal force increased the tire diameter enough that the tire rubbed slightly on the black plastic splash guard that sits between the monoshock and the wheel. The tire picked up a little friction-heated plastic from the spash guard.

I'm running a Pirelli Mt66 rear with about 6000 miles treadwear on it, so a new tire would be even larger in diameter, and exhibit the problem to a greater degree.

I believe that if I ride the bike on the road long enough for the tire to heat up on the roadway, that the rubbing will be even worse.

My conclusion is that if you wish to run the Scootworks pulley with the 170/80 tire, you must either rework the plastic splash guard or run both front and rear Scootworks pulleys.

Time to go put the factory pulley back on...

See less See more
#2 ·
That sucks. Would a 200 be too large then? Or do they have a smaller diameter then the 170? Cuz I thought they were larger then the 180.

I have heard that different brands of tires will change in height too. Like the AVON 230 is taller then the Metzeler 230. Which is weird. But I guess the sidewall height is the same but the way they do the curve on the tread is different.

#3 ·
200 is even a little larger in diameter than the 170/80, that won't work, either.

I could get the 170/80 to work if I were willing to remove the black plastic fender shield.

#5 ·
If you put the pulley on with the 180 tire, there will be no rubbing (personal experiance). You also will eliminate the need of a larger rear tire. I run the pulley, have better performance and my speedometer is only 1 mph over at about 60-70 mph (as opposed to 6-7 mph over). If you want more after that, then yes, go with the rear pulley as well. I would suggest that after you wear out the 170 tire, you reinstall the front pulley and run it with the stock tire. Considering the 180 generally runs about $25 less than the 170, the pulley could help you save a few bucks and pay for itself in 3-4 tires.... IMHO...

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
My experience was that the 170/80 is about $25 cheaper than the 180/70.

I haven't decided whether I'll go with the 170/80 tire and sell the pulley, or put the pulley on along with a 180/70 tire when the present tire wears out.

I'm leaning towards pulley plus stock tire.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't think it will work. The 200/70 is 4 mm taller in radius, a little over 1/8 inch, than the 170/80.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info mb, I will take a serious look at the situation and make a decision. I probably will install it and see if it will work and probably modify the splash quard. I have a Metzeler tire and I thought I read a thread that it may still work. One question I have is since I never exceed 80mph combined with my 240 weight the tire should not expand to the diameter needed to start rubbing?

#11 ·
170/80 rear with Scootworks Front pulley

I run a 170/80-15 rear with the Scootworks front pulley because the 170/80 is cheaper and easier to lean into corners than the 180/70. I've experienced no rubbing problems at all since installing both 6k miles ago. ??

#15 ·
Update to my 8/30/2010 response to this thread

There is definitely height differences between tires!! The old Dunlop 404 170/80-15 tires I used to run did not rub with the SW front pulley. Now I've switched to the Bridgestone Spitfire S11 (SR11?) rear 170/80-15 tire and immediately knew there was a difference when trying to put the mounted tire on the bike. My homemade wooden jack wasn't tall enough to slide the tire under the swingarm. After much cursing and further jacking up the bike with a neighbor stabilizing the bike I spun the wheel on the stand and it barely rubbed the plastic splash gaurd. But upon riding the bike the tire rubbed immensely enough to nearly destroy the splashgaurd until both the tire and gaurd had worn down to the point of no longer making contact. I now have no rubbing but also not much of a splash guard either :). I'll either remove the guard upon mounting the next tire (I bought 2 Bridgestones because of the $88 price !!!!) or assume all wear and tear is done and a new tire will now fit. ??

And now I know the rest of the story.....

#16 ·
front pulley and new big tire

I had my dealer mount and balance my new Pirelli Route 66 rear tire for $75. For that much I didn't want to mess with it. He ended up pulling my splash guard as it was slightly rubbing on it. He said you really don't need unless you ride in the rain quite a bit. I'm sold on the performance of taller tree for less RPMS at cruising speeds and quite a bit more expensive that running the 200.

#19 ·
I changed to Pirelli MT66 a while ago and I think they are a little taller than the OEM Dunlops with the same measurements. I compared the look of the newly fitted Pirellis with photos I took when the bike was brand new and the fenders seemed a little more filled out. Not sure how they compare to the other brands but maybe it's just a Pirelli thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.