Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'll start by apologizing for coming up with an assignment that someone else has to execute. Iv'e had my custom for a couple of months now and have been an avid participant in this forum. My observations are that many have the same questions and some of the answers are fairly conclusive. With that in mind someone more astute than me could compile a FAQ sticky that would answer most of the recurrent questions and answers. I got the idea from the AVSforum DIY screen making site. An example would be the fuel gage issue. It seems conclusive that: The gage is inaccurate by indicating less fuel than actual, the warning light is separate and not as inaccurate and indicates approximately 1 gallon left, the accuracy of the gage can be improved by adding a 20 cent resistor (indicate the thread), it is possible to break the gage by.......and it costs ..... to replace, etc. Another is the speedometer is inaccurate up to 10% slow. After market add ons can correct (.....), a larger diameter rear tire will partially correct or an aftermarket front sprocket (Scootworks ...) or both can correct. Oils, filters reliable sources for aftermarket items are all good info and can be available without searching through hours of threads. Of course nothing that isn't reasonably conclusive should not be represented.

The idea would be to have a wealth of factual info that is concise and located in one place for the majority of questions. Almost like a must read before posting a question. I recognize that a few may question the "facts" but in reality it seems pretty clean.

Thanks for reading and hopefully one of the more talented readers will pick up the gauntlet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello,

I'll start by apologizing for coming up with an assignment that someone else has to execute. Iv'e had my custom for a couple of months now and have been an avid participant in this forum. My observations are that many have the same questions and some of the answers are fairly conclusive. With that in mind someone more astute than me could compile a FAQ sticky that would answer most of the recurrent questions and answers. I got the idea from the AVSforum DIY screen making site. An example would be the fuel gage issue. It seems conclusive that: The gage is inaccurate by indicating less fuel than actual, the warning light is separate and not as inaccurate and indicates approximately 1 gallon left, the accuracy of the gage can be improved by adding a 20 cent resistor (indicate the thread), it is possible to break the gage by.......and it costs ..... to replace, etc. Another is the speedometer is inaccurate up to 10% slow. After market add ons can correct (.....), a larger diameter rear tire will partially correct or an aftermarket front sprocket (Scootworks ...) or both can correct. Oils, filters reliable sources for aftermarket items are all good info and can be available without searching through hours of threads. Of course nothing that isn't reasonably conclusive should not be represented.

The idea would be to have a wealth of factual info that is concise and located in one place for the majority of questions. Almost like a must read before posting a question. I recognize that a few may question the "facts" but in reality it seems pretty clean.

Thanks for reading and hopefully one of the more talented readers will pick up the gauntlet.
This one already has a ton on it. http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seadog,

I am aware of the gadget site but while it has a lot of generic stuff which is useful, it does not address the 900 and it's specific characteristics and idiosyncracies. After going through hundreds of posts on this site, it became apparent that many of the questions were model specific. I'm actually a little surprised that some of the more technically knowledgeable folks have not come forward.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why the 900 section of the forum seems to have a lot more people viewing it at any given time than any other section. Surely this can't be the proportunate ownership of 900's compared to the other models of Vulcans!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark,

I'm only speculating but I think that there may be more first time owners or folks who haven't had a bike in many years and that may account for some basic lack of knowledge. Also this is a relatively new design and it has it's own personality which prompts a lot of inquiries. The forum also feeds on itself with a lot of responses generating a variety of opinions which themselves generate a lot of responses. All in all, it's probably not a bad thing. I just thought that maybe enough has settled down to summarize a bit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why the 900 section of the forum seems to have a lot more people viewing it at any given time than any other section. Surely this can't be the proportunate ownership of 900's compared to the other models of Vulcans!!!
I'd have to say that there are probably a higher percentage of 900 riders out there now. Partially due to like Sailor Bill said. First time buyers and returning riders(like me) from yrs. of absence. For some time the bigger bikes were sitting at the dealers and the smaller ones hard to stock due to the price, good gas mileage and light handling of the 900. It didn't hurt either that it looks much bigger than it is. The majority of people ask me if it's a 1500. So I would say there is a huge Vulcan 900 segment out there and with the economy the way it is that bike is one of the best bang for the buck MC out there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That large number of views has suprised me also, not only in relation to the other models, but also in relationship to posting active.

I notice that if I don't logout after checking the "remember me" box when I log in, that my last visit date does not update when I reaccess the forum.

Is it possible that the number of viewers is counting people that actually are not currently connected?

Another forum that I visit for one of my other bikes, will have 30 to 40 viewers active, but at least 5 times the posting activity as this Vulcan 900 section with 100 to 140 viewers.

Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah that's weird. Cuz I haven't log'd out or re-logdin in awhile. But it has me for my last visit at like 12:15 am on the 15th. I even rebooted my computer and got back on here and it still has my last visit at that. But at least it is close. So the problem with the amount of views might not be so off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
At the top on the screen there is a section with "sticky notes" that covers the gas guage issue. Someone could add sticky notes for tires -tire pressure, horns, seats etc.
but then what would we have to talk about?
On the log-in issue, when I go to the 900 forum page it shows at the top the last time I visited. So it must know when we leave because I never log off, I just exit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob,

I think that the existing sticky on the gas gauge issue simply proves my point. You have to read through 117 posts to get the info that could be contained in three or four lines. In my proposed version, it would be more of a read only.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On the log-in issue, when I go to the 900 forum page it shows at the top the last time I visited. So it must know when we leave because I never log off, I just exit.
That is the field that I was referencing. I have seen occasions when the information was days incorrect, when I just exited, instead of logging out. Today the information is accurate.

Clearly, the ability is present in the software to determine when a connection is made regardless if a login is made or not, (guest don't login). I just wonder about the accuracy of the count of viewers and the errors I have observed in last visit date for my signon.

Really, it very unimportant.

PS: Even though I posted the above this evening and then closed my browser, When I returned over an hour later, my last visit date was still yesterday at 9:37 PM. Addendumm posted at 10:09 PM or 20:09 on 18 on 18 Oct. ????

·
Registered
83 Posts
Got one for the FAQ.

When installing Kurakyn Dually Offset Pegs on your 1 1/4" crash bar, first read the directions. Then put the clamps onto the crashbar and screw in the offset bracket hand tight. Slide the bracket to where there are no gaps due to the curvature of the crash bars. The f*ck with them for ever getting them just exactly right for your riding postion. Be sure to adjust them so you can either ride with your heels on the running boards or with your legs stretched and your feet on the pegs. Then tighten them down.

Then realize that with the clamp facing backwards (although it looks better from the front), maybe.... just maybe if you had your riding boots on instead of flip flops, the bracket may be under your toe when you try to break.... hmmmm....

Now that you are late to get into the shower to take your wife to the movies, but you want to finish so you can ride first thing in the morning. start loosening everything so you can reverse the clamps. Put them back on finger tight (doesn't look so good from the front, but at least there won't be any issue with breaking). F*ck with them getting them exactly right for your riding position. Once again make sure your heels can rest on the running boards and your feet also rest comfortably with your legs stretched.

Put your tools away in a hurry. Run to the shower (don't make eye contact with your wife as she is p1ssed at this point) shower and skip shaving to save time. Dress and slip on your shoes just as she is fininshing her make-up and then say "See Dear - I timed fininsh working on the bike this way so we would both be ready at the same time". Stroll out to the movies knowing that tomorrow morning you can take a long ride all streched out and confortable enjoying the sun, breeze and your new highway pegs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts