Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about lowering my front end by a quarter inch or so to decrease the rake. Will this help with low speed instability? Has anyone here tried this?

2013VN900 custom

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thinking about lowering my front end by a quarter inch or so to decrease the rake. Will this help with low speed instability? Has anyone here tried this?

2013VN900 custom
Usually the front end is lowered when the rear end is lowered. I don't know if lowering the front end that little bit will even make a difference. I can let my bike pull itself at 10MPH w/o having trouble.

Maybe the steering head isn't tight enough?

EDIT: Reducing rake will decrease stability since it brings the front tire in closer to the bike frame. You want to increase the rake to increase stability. Longer wheelbase should mean better handling.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
sounds like a rider issue ... not a bike issue. Taking off to slow or not using the clutch / rear brake for balance at slow speeds may cause some issues .... but the last thing I would call the 9 is unstable at slow speeds ... heavy maybe, unstable ... no

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea Crazy I will check the steering head,

Whiting I don't think it's me, I don't have this issue with my other bikes and they are heavier, lots heavier.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
when I flip from my classic to my custom there is a different feel due to the front end dynamics ... narrower tire , larger rim size, higher, narrower bars etc, but its out of my head by the first corner ... it has just a different feel ... I'm not trying to be a dick though ... check your tire pressure front and rear plus what was suggested above ....
.. my classic feels like a boat compared to my custom. I for one, would be interested on what the remedy may be.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I flip from my classic to my custom there is a different feel due to the front end dynamics ... narrower tire , larger rim size, higher, narrower bars etc, but its out of my head by the first corner ... it has just a different feel ... I'm not trying to be a dick though ... check your tire pressure front and rear plus what was suggested above ....
.. my classic feels like a boat compared to my custom. I for one, would be interested on what the remedy may be.
I never thought you were trying to be a dick. Crazy hit the nail on the head, not loose enough to feel but loose enough to cause my problem. All fixed up and problem is solved. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
^^^

Yeah, but it would still be good, I think, to independently check that it's the correct/accurate pressure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here they don't check the pressure, although I do check it at home before and after any long rides. It is all digital here, select the pressure you want and attach the air hose. Depending on your air pressure it will add or release air.

Supposed to be fool proof and I am confident that they are all calibrated to be within 10 to 15 pounds of each other at the different stations:confused:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts