Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 900 and i'm a little new to the bike "moddin" scene but pretty familiar with debadging and modding vehicles...does anyone have suggestions other than

exhaust

intake

power commander

I think for sure i'm gonna debadge it....just looking for neat ideas to make it unique

Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
What model and year ?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Just picked up a 900 and i'm a little new to the bike "moddin" scene but pretty familiar with debadging and modding vehicles...does anyone have suggestions other than

exhaust

intake

power commander

I think for sure i'm gonna debadge it....just looking for neat ideas to make it unique

Thanks
To make your bike really look different, just leave it stock.
HTH

Rod

:)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Aftermarket pipes are popular. Another option for those of us who don't like it loud, but want it louder, is a debaffle. It's pretty easy on these bikes, makes them look better too (no more baffle and cap on the back of the exhaust). Something to think about!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aftermarket pipes are popular. Another option for those of us who don't like it loud, but want it louder, is a debaffle. It's pretty easy on these bikes, makes them look better too (no more baffle and cap on the back of the exhaust). Something to think about!
Yah i've been watching lots of videos and discussion about this debaffling thing...does it wreck the bike tho? I'd hate to mess up the bike just cause i wanted a sound...seems like a power commander isnt necessary after this mod and i'm def on a budget...any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yah i've been watching lots of videos and discussion about this debaffling thing...does it wreck the bike tho? I'd hate to mess up the bike just cause i wanted a sound...seems like a power commander isnt necessary after this mod and i'm def on a budget...any thoughts?
No it won't harm the bike. The catylitic converter is still there so removing the baffles doesn't ACTUALLY modify the characteristics of the exhaust very much, just makes it a bit deeper, a bit louder, and look a LOT better. (I always loved the look of the stock pipes, but hated the look of the baffles and caps)

As far as a power commander? I don't want to make general statements because every bike is different. However, generally, if you debaffle but have a completely stock intake (meaning an OEM or equivalent paper filter, and stock unmodified airbox) then you shouldn't alter the air/fuel ratio enough to cause any issues.

I can walk you through debaffling if you need, but it's really easy, just a little tedious because the forward end of the baffle is welded on so you have to wiggle it back and forth for a while (one of mine took 20 minutes!) until the weld pops and you can remove the baffle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No it won't harm the bike. The catylitic converter is still there so removing the baffles doesn't ACTUALLY modify the characteristics of the exhaust very much, just makes it a bit deeper, a bit louder, and look a LOT better. (I always loved the look of the stock pipes, but hated the look of the baffles and caps)

As far as a power commander? I don't want to make general statements because every bike is different. However, generally, if you debaffle but have a completely stock intake (meaning an OEM or equivalent paper filter, and stock unmodified airbox) then you shouldn't alter the air/fuel ratio enough to cause any issues.

I can walk you through debaffling if you need, but it's really easy, just a little tedious because the forward end of the baffle is welded on so you have to wiggle it back and forth for a while (one of mine took 20 minutes!) until the weld pops and you can remove the baffle.
Since you seem to be extremely helpful, which i appreciate, the previous owner waxed the paint but managed to get wax all over the frame...any hints or ideas for how to get rid of that? Looks like white dust all over the bike :(

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Since you seem to be extremely helpful, which i appreciate, the previous owner waxed the paint but managed to get wax all over the frame...any hints or ideas for how to get rid of that? Looks like white dust all over the bike :(
A blower tip on an air tool, or just soapy water on a sponge. That's what I'd do. I try to avoid power washing or spraying with a hose with a high pressure nozzle, but soaking it with a hose and scrubbing it with soapy water is fine (I ride mine in the rain all the time, can't be worse than that right?)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A blower tip on an air tool, or just soapy water on a sponge. That's what I'd do. I try to avoid power washing or spraying with a hose with a high pressure nozzle, but soaking it with a hose and scrubbing it with soapy water is fine (I ride mine in the rain all the time, can't be worse than that right?)

Haha for sure...i'm sorta new to the bike scene...is there anything i should be careful about while washing my bike? I dont wanna spray down a part if its not supposed to get wet...im not gonna run the hose directly into the engine but i'm not sure what can and cant get wet...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Haha for sure...i'm sorta new to the bike scene...is there anything i should be careful about while washing my bike? I dont wanna spray down a part if its not supposed to get wet...im not gonna run the hose directly into the engine but i'm not sure what can and cant get wet...
If you don't use any pressure you shouldn't have any problems. Just avoid the battery and the fuse box/relay box/ECM that surround the battery. Avoid the handlebar switches too. Just use your sponge for those areas. When I wash mine I just sponge it down with car wash soap real good, then gently rinse it with those hose (no attachments, and no thumb over the end). Towel dry using a soft cloth, and then wax the paint and polish the chrome. I do use a power washer for the windshield, but don't do anything else. The windshield is pretty bad about getting lots of big ol' nasty bugs stuck to it, and the power washer gets it clean.

Like I said, I ride mine in the rain all the time. I ride most places I go. So I wouldn't be terribly concerned. The biggest issue is steam (so I would definitely wash the bike cold, save ya from some burns anyway) and pressure washers getting into wiring harnesses and switch housings. It's sort of like a water resistant non-dive watch. You can get it wet (like washing your hands), but you don't wanna swim with it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't use any pressure you shouldn't have any problems. Just avoid the battery and the fuse box/relay box/ECM that surround the battery. Avoid the handlebar switches too. Just use your sponge for those areas. When I wash mine I just sponge it down with car wash soap real good, then gently rinse it with those hose (no attachments, and no thumb over the end). Towel dry using a soft cloth, and then wax the paint and polish the chrome. I do use a power washer for the windshield, but don't do anything else. The windshield is pretty bad about getting lots of big ol' nasty bugs stuck to it, and the power washer gets it clean.

Like I said, I ride mine in the rain all the time. I ride most places I go. So I wouldn't be terribly concerned. The biggest issue is steam (so I would definitely wash the bike cold, save ya from some burns anyway) and pressure washers getting into wiring harnesses and switch housings. It's sort of like a water resistant non-dive watch. You can get it wet (like washing your hands), but you don't wanna swim with it!
Thanks for all the help...I'll probably do the debaffling next week...it seems pretty strait forward...if i have questions i'll hit ya up

thanks again

·
Registered
182 Posts
What is a rear tag? License plate or something? Do you have a pic of this mod?
I removed mine completely, inclusing the signals and replaced the lamp with 3 in one integrated lamp. The license plate i used the belt guard bolts and bolt it to the side of the bike. Down here you wont be pulled over for that

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I removed mine completely, inclusing the signals and replaced the lamp with 3 in one integrated lamp. The license plate i used the belt guard bolts and bolt it to the side of the bike. Down here you wont be pulled over for that
Do you have a picture of what this looks like?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts