Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 2008 900 classic has 36,000 trouble free miles on it. Recently just after startup a whining noise is evident and continues after engine is started. No FI light after startup. Noise seems to be coming from fuel pump area under gas tank but could be anything because the noise is coming from under gas tank and there are lots of sensors switches and valves and relays in this area. I have cleaned the throttle bodies and checked battery voltage and all appears normal. The battery is O.E.M. and came in the bike new so could be suspect but doubtful I have it on a battery tender each Winter while in storage and whenever the bike sits for more than a few days (which isn't often). Has anyone had this issue and or can anyone give me some ideas as to what this noise is? Thanks in advance.

Thread update: Problem solved, I found an incorrectly routed air breather hose and it was being pinched off by the battery /tool box cover. After routing the hose correctly and relieving the pinch point the motor quieted down and sounds normal. Thanks for all the help in checking out this problem.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Wow, 36,000 on an 08 is pretty good ridding. I thought I was doing good with 25,000 on my 08. Some say the whining noise is an indicator that the stator is going out, but if you are staying charged, it probably is not that. Have you checked your belt tension or looked to see if a rock is caught in the belt?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My wife's 2008 900 classic has 36,000 trouble free miles on it. Recently just after startup a whining noise is evident and continues after engine is started. No FI light after startup. Noise seems to be coming from fuel pump area under gas tank but could be anything because the noise is coming from under gas tank and there are lots of sensors switches and valves and relays in this area. I have cleaned the throttle bodies and checked battery voltage and all appears normal. The battery is O.E.M. and came in the bike new so could be suspect but doubtful I have it on a battery tender each Winter while in storage and whenever the bike sits for more than a few days (which isn't often). Has anyone had this issue and or can anyone give me some ideas as to what this noise is? Thanks in advance.
I did read on another forum, 1600 Nomad, about some noises from the fuel pump area. they checked further and the fuel pump was clogged in one of the hoses causing the pump to work real hard. my 2 cents on "just a thought" good luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have to agree with the others. Sounds like either a stator starting to make noise or a fuel pump straining and on the verge of going out....does it vary with engine speed?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Obviously you have a digital VOM so I would suggest measuring the voltage right after your wife has just ridden a medium distance. Wait one hour and measure it again. If the voltage has dropped below 12.6VDC then the stator is working OT to keep the battery fully charged. No matter how kind you are to a battery it does give out sooner or later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to each of you for your input, I'll respond to each suggestion posted as best I can. First the noise occurs while stationary and or while riding and I cannot tell if the noise varies by RPM or not due to wind noise and other factors. The belt tension and rear wheel alignment are correct and I feel the noise is coming from somewhere near the fuel pump area under the fuel tank. In looking at the service manual in the DFI section the information contained in this lengthy chapter is confusing to say the least. It seems the fuel pump if it has a problem, will not set off the FI light and the voltage test involving resistance and voltage to various sensors and devices requires some items that I don't have to be able to test these devices. Since there is no FI warning light there are no codes in the ECU to give a clue as to the problem/s. In testing the battery voltage which all the tests indicate must be done with a fully charged battery, I disconnected both positive and negative cables from the battery after the bike was ridden for 20 or so miles and waited about 30 minutes to test. 12.96 volts and the book says if voltage is below 12.8 recharge and perform the tests. The 12.96 volts indicates to me that the stator is probably not the cause, I was adjusting the idle and found the noise intermittent but returns steady after awhile. It seems something in the throttle body and or fuel pump area is the culprit. This problem just reared it ugly head all of a sudden after a long weekend ride and I am now skeptical about the reliability of the bike. Mainly I am concerned the stealer's don't have anyone qualified to find and fix the problem. I can see putting a large amount of cash into the bike and still have a bike with a bunch of miles on it. It may be time to purchase a new bike but I don't want to past this problem on to someone else. There are a bunch of sensors and other devices mounted in and around the throttle body area that cannot be adjusted according to the service manual and need to be replaced but I don't want to just start throwing money at this problem, I want to know what caused the problem in the first place and I don't think the stealers in my area know what they are doing most of the time. By the way, I have to travel at least 50 miles to a dealer to get any work done and from past experience I come away redoing some of the work they charge an arm and a leg for. I have checked the throttle body mounting bolts and find they are torqued to spec and the manifold bolts at least the ones that I can get to are tight. Once again thanks to all who have responded to this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks to each of you for your input, I'll respond to each suggestion posted as best I can. First the noise occurs while stationary and or while riding and I cannot tell if the noise varies by RPM or not due to wind noise and other factors. The belt tension and rear wheel alignment are correct and I feel the noise is coming from somewhere near the fuel pump area under the fuel tank. In looking at the service manual in the DFI section the information contained in this lengthy chapter is confusing to say the least. It seems the fuel pump if it has a problem, will not set off the FI light and the voltage test involving resistance and voltage to various sensors and devices requires some items that I don't have to be able to test these devices. Since there is no FI warning light there are no codes in the ECU to give a clue as to the problem/s. In testing the battery voltage which all the tests indicate must be done with a fully charged battery, I disconnected both positive and negative cables from the battery after the bike was ridden for 20 or so miles and waited about 30 minutes to test. 12.96 volts and the book says if voltage is below 12.8 recharge and perform the tests. The 12.96 volts indicates to me that the stator is probably not the cause, I was adjusting the idle and found the noise intermittent but returns steady after awhile. It seems something in the throttle body and or fuel pump area is the culprit. This problem just reared it ugly head all of a sudden after a long weekend ride and I am now skeptical about the reliability of the bike. Mainly I am concerned the stealer's don't have anyone qualified to find and fix the problem. I can see putting a large amount of cash into the bike and still have a bike with a bunch of miles on it. It may be time to purchase a new bike but I don't want to past this problem on to someone else. There are a bunch of sensors and other devices mounted in and around the throttle body area that cannot be adjusted according to the service manual and need to be replaced but I don't want to just start throwing money at this problem, I want to know what caused the problem in the first place and I don't think the stealers in my area know what they are doing most of the time. By the way, I have to travel at least 50 miles to a dealer to get any work done and from past experience I come away redoing some of the work they charge an arm and a leg for. I have checked the throttle body mounting bolts and find they are torqued to spec and the manifold bolts at least the ones that I can get to are tight. Once again thanks to all who have responded to this thread.
It looks like the battery may still be OK but if it's starting to go then the alternator will be on or near full load to keep trying to bring it up to full charge. Just saying. The other possible culprit might be the water pump. Look under the bike for any sign of green coolant dripping from the weep hole under the water pump.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Man, if it takes that long for a 9 to grenade, I'm sure looking forward to my next 32000 miles!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No water leaks of any kind, I just did a voltage test to see the out put from stator and it is a little low but not a lot. Book calls for 14.2-15.2 @ 4,000 RPM's. Mine measured 13.8 I'm not sure if this is significant or not since I don't have a tach. I just guessed at the RPM's. I have an appointment with a dealer next week so I will keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
No water leaks of any kind, I just did a voltage test to see the out put from stator and it is a little low but not a lot. Book calls for 14.2-15.2 @ 4,000 RPM's. Mine measured 13.8 I'm not sure if this is significant or not since I don't have a tach. I just guessed at the RPM's. I have an appointment with a dealer next week so I will keep everyone posted.
You could try another test to prove the alternator is working correctly before taking it to the garage. This test isolates the alternator from the rest of the wiring including the battery. Unplug the rectifier, which is just below the radiator. There are three white wires coming into this plug and are from the stator. Set your VOM for 250VAC (alternating current) and start the bike. Have someone bring the revs up to 4000 RPM and measure across any two of the three white wires. You should see 54VAC or more. Check across each of the three combinations (A+B, B+C, A+C) and verify the readings are the same. If you are the least bit suspicious that there's something wrong then check the resistance using your ohm setting and test the three combinations with the engine off. Any variance in the readings between the combinations indicates something wrong with the stator. You should also check each white wire to chassis ground with the ohm meter. The readings should be infinity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was reading about this test in the service manual and thought about doing it. I will have the wife help me with this when she gets home from work. Thanks for your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts