Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, my underbody lighting kit came in today. 6 piece from LEDglow. I know that I'll eventually end up with a ticket from it, but it looks so cool that its worth it to me, and I've seen them on other bikes, it makes it next to impossible for a cage driver to overlook me at night. My hope is that the cops in LA have better things to do- I know from experience that they typically don't care about minor traffic law infractions.
Anyhow, on to my question- to those who have installed these or similar before: is just the 3m tape enough to hold then in place? I don't want them to fall off and get caught ul in something, etc. Also- its a 6 piece. I plan on mounting strips behind the seam of the gas tank on either side, and in between the fender and saddlebags, but I have no idea where to mount the other two strips, any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If they are stips, I mounted a strip on the bottom of each frame rail at about the 4:30 position facing inside. Had pods mounted on the frame tube at the bottom just in front of the motor at about the 1:30 position facing up.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I know that I'll eventually end up with a ticket from it . . .
Well, you never know!

Where do you live? It depends on the state and the color, but I've never had a cop even blink an eye at any of my bikes with LED accent lighting!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you're worried about it, why not just turn them off when riding (or at least when riding in a populated area)?

My wifes bike has LED's. She just leaves them off when riding. Here in MO, you can't have any underglow, of any color. I know lots of guys who do it all the time, but I also know some who have been ticketed for it. Basically, if it's not a tail light, turn signal, headlight, amber side light, or other "DOT approved" light in the "DOT approved" position, you can't have it here. Of course, what are they gonna do if it's switched off?

I know in other states they just restrict red and blue (reserved for emergency services). No idea in California but, if I had to guess; I'd say blue is probably a no go. California isn't one of those states that likes people to do much of anything with their motor vehicles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom and it is Kawasaki Lime Green Metallic. The original owner bought new two fenders, two side pieces, and a new gas tank and had them painted the 2008 color. He gave me the original two fenders, two side pieces, and the tank which are the original color of the bike. The original color is Kawasaki Burnt Orange Metallic with all the chrome emblems all over it. I like the green which had to grow on me for a while, but the only emblem on it is the one on the instrument panel on the gas tank. I have a lot of people ask me what kind of Harley is it and I just tell them it's not a Harley, but better. It's a Kawasaki. Ok, let's get back to the lighting. I have a set of green led strip lights under the bottom edge of my gas tank facing downwards at an angle towards the engine. At night with all that chrome on the engine and the green LED lights, it gives off a bright green glow which helps the cagers (A**holes who drive automobiles) to see me better at night. I am planning to add just a few more LED green lights.

KawasakiVulcan900 aka UNK

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been told by cops not to have my led's flashing or have the color blue and never have blue flashing or i'll get ticketed. With that said, I live in Massachusetts one of the most corrupt states out there. I have Lizard lights that change color at the push of a button. I ride with them on all the time (at night) I use red and green on my 900 vulcan. I've mounted them on both sides of the tank. The 3m tape should work for you. That's what my lights were sent with. In the 2 yrs I've had the led's on they have never come off nor has the tape loosened at all. Good luck with the new led lights!

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
If the question is still about the TAPE, yeah the 3M works great.

I have two small red LED strips mounted under my red fuel tank shining down on the valve covers. They're pretty subtle but cool as heck. Sometimes I ride with them on and they have stayed put for months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts