Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all?

I have found two great Vulcan 900 LT. Both are great values but I can't decide which one is the best option?
1st is a 2008 LT with 9xxx miles on the clock. It has a sound system and cup holder as extras. The owner wants $3200 for it but I have to drive 132 miles to get it.
2nd is a 2006 LT with just 2700 miles. I has crash bars as an extra and is immaculate. The owner wants $3500 for it and is only 25 miles away from my home.
I am including a couple of pictures so you can see which one is a better option.
The 2008 is the red bike and the 2006 is the blue one.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would go with the 08, may need tires but even the 06 would need changing because of age. the 08 has more accessories and the earlier models had stator problems. I have an 08 Custom and other than a loose kickstand, no problems with 22k miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go with the 08. It's cheaper, has more accessories which would cost much more to add than to buy on a used bike, and the 06 has too few miles on it and has been a garage queen. Rent the $10/day Uhaul trailer and go get the 08.

Bikes are meant to be ridden and when they aren't, that just invites problems you don't want to mess with.

·
Registered
415 Posts
...I like the '06, it looks better taken care of to me, those sound systems are tinty and annoying really, he'll take $3000 cash for it...ride on....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the 2006 was willing to go down a bit and match the price of the 2008, I would have purchased it already. He would not budge from $3500 price.

·
Premium Member, BOTM Winner, June 2016
639 Posts
Which one would you aim to do the least to, or which one would you like to continue to tinker and add on to? Look at the time and effort (and ability) it would take to get each bike to where they are and decide if you have the time to dedicate to either bike. Since one has the stereo that isn't as easily done, I'd consider that one more than the crash bars as they are easier to install.

But most of all, go with your favorite color. That's hard to change....all the other accessories can be added or changed later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i'd never buy either w/o road testing - i would road test the 06 first since you'll have a longer drive to see the 08.
  • are they both garage kept
  • new tires installed ~$400
  • new battery (a quality one) ~$150
  • the 08 a lot closer to valve adjustment service
take cash to the 08 road test (cash talks). and as far as buying a garage queen, i did with no reservations and had to buy new tires as the stock dunflop's sidewalls were cracking even with 95% tread. if the tires need to be replaced that can be a good price negotiation point.

well wishes on whatever you ultimately purchase...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Both will need new tires. No big deal.

The speakers aren't a bonus, they're awful.

Everything else is similar. The '06 is part of that group with common stator failure issues. It's also 10 years old with very low miles. That means it was probably never ridden. It's very unlikely that he went on one 30 mile ride once a month for 10 years, sans the two coldest months a year. It's far more likely, as it is with a LOT of those super low mile bikes, that the owner just lost interest. Rode it a few times, then put it away. And finally decided, "You know, I just need to get rid of that thing".

Forget the 3k vs 10k mile difference. This is a bike that'll last you easily 150k+, there's effectively no difference there. But be suspect of both because of the low miles, make sure they were treated right. Wouldn't be too surprised to find out either went years without fluids being changed, which would foster corrosion. Either bike should have all fluids (brake fluid, oil, coolant) changed once you buy it.

As for the Stator on the '06, it's not a big deal. I had that same bike, same color and everything! It's a couple hundred bucks in parts and a couple of hours. Lots of guys on this forum have done it without ever having changed their own oil before. It's not a difficult job, just a little time consuming. And there's no guarantee it will happen; it's just common on that year. So I wouldn't rule it out because of that. But if the potential for a repair down the road scares you, then that eliminates the '06 entirely and leaves you with the '08.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The owner of the 2006 would not budge on the price because he paid a lot of cash for it brand spanking new. He is willing to go down to $3500 but that's it.
The owner of the 2008 is a lot more flexible and has accepted an offer of $3200. It definitely would need new tires in a few months, but that's not too expensive. I am guessing $300 would easily cover that cost.
I currently have 3 bikes:
A 2005 Triumph Rocket 3 with a sidecar. This is one heck of a rig that I use whenever the wife wants to ride with me. I smoke any car when I start on a red light. It gives me such sensations that I have completely neglected my other bikes. The bike has only 9xxx miles.
A 2005 Honda Sabre 1100. This is like a hotrod compared to other bikes I have owned save for the Triumph. It has just a tad over 11000 miles and is a blast to ride. This is my daily ride when the wife is not with me.
A 2001 Vulcan 800 that has 9300 miles. I do not ride this bike at all. It has been sitting in my garage and I think it is time to sell it and contribute to the Vulcan 900 LT I am considering.
So even if I buy the Vulcan 900, I probably would not ride it that much or I would have to sell the Honda and the Vulcan 800.
Anybody has ever had a chance to ride the Sabre 1100 and Vulcan 900 and can provide me with some meaningful comparisons between these two bikes?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I really hate hearing "Well I have a lot into it". Then you should've bought a bond. Motorcycles depreciate, HARD, especially metrics. The KBB RETAIL for that bike is $3,500. That would require brand new tires (those tires are too old to meet KBB's retail standards for age and tread depth), and for it to be on a dealership floor. $3k is fair, less is a good deal.

But I think that confirms my suspicions. A decade ago he decided he wanted to be a biker, so he bought a motorcycle. It didn't work out, it sat, and sat, and sat, and sat, and sat, and now he's deciding to sell it. And he's faced with the fact that he may have overpaid for a brand new bike that really isn't worth anything today. I looked at a used bike once and the guy was telling me all the money he had into it. Frankly, I'm not concerned how much he overpaid; I'm concerned with what it's worth today! Maybe that's why I almost always buy new, dealerships are easier to deal with then Joe Schmo off the street who think they own a solid gold perfect specimen of a motorcycle worth twice what it really is! (Everyone thinks the stuff they want to sell is worth more than it is, and the stuff they want to buy is worth less than it is...)

Looks like the '08 may be the better deal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will drive the 130 miles and check out the 2008 as the owner seems to be more flexible in price. He is willing to deliver it to my home for a fee. However I want to save on that fee and put that money toward new tires.
I am one of those weekend and fair weather riders too. I put less than a 1000 miles on my bikes each year, but then again, not too long ago I had 7, yes you have read it right, 7 big bikes. The smallest one was a 2004 Honda Aero 750.
One last thing, do not ask me why I have so many bikes. Some collect stamps, some collect old rifles, I like bikes. It is a passion for me.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. 1,000 miles a year is like that 08. The other one with under 3k miles in 10 years is one I strongly suspect went a long period of time, months or years, without being ridden at all. Bikes like that all over. I wouldn't be surprised if it got those 3,000 miles in it's first 3 or 4 years, and none since.

A fleet of bikes sounds awesome!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some pictures of my bike collection. Please bear in mind that I did not have enough room in my garage for all of them. So 3 of them were kept on a storage location for the long months of winter.
You can see 5 of my bikes on the pictures shown below.
One interesting bike in my collection was a Russian piece of junk. It is the worst designed bike you'll ever want but was a lot of fun to ride when it was running properly. I have never understood the pricing of these Russian bikes. They are called "Ural". Mine was a 2004 model. I spent a lot of time putting into decent running condition. I could never push more than 50 mph and at lower speeds it vibrated so much all I could see on the mirrors was a blur.
I sold it to the wife of a collector. She drove 270 miles to get mine because I sold it so cheap that she suspected something was wrong with it. She had a seasoned bike rider come with her to check everything out. Needless to say she bought it. I sold it 2 days after I put the ad on my local CraigsList.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How does the Vulcan 900 compare to the Honda VTX 1300? I am considering a 2008 VTX 1300 that has just 6200 miles and has every possible extra I can ever want or need. It is priced at $4300 which is $1100 more than the Vulcan 900. So I am hesitant in going for the VTX 1300.
Any input on the differences between these 2 bikes is highly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would buy them both if the wife was not already mad at me. She has not been able to ever get her minivan in the garage for years now. She is not really mad at me because I waste money on bikes I rarely ever get to ride. She is mad in the winter months when she gets out and she has to remove all the snow and frost from her minivan. She actually enjoys riding two up with me. Especially on the Triumph R3. That rig is an absolute delight to ride and a bitch to handle in high speed turns.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Which color do you like? That's a big deal to me. I can change and fix all that other stuff rather easily. Personally I think the Burgundy and black is the better looking paint scheme.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Strangely enough, I like dark colors way better than the lighter burgundy and silver.
I have talked to the owner of the 2006 and he is will to go down to $3300. So now the prices are about even. The 2006 looks more and more appealing to me.
How much does the non-oem stator cost? I am extremely handy and can do just about any mechanical job. My dad was a lieutenant mechanic in the army and I used to hang around him and picked up a lot of interesting stuff about fixing mechanical stuff. It was mostly Jeeps and Land Rover vehicles, but the general concepts are the same whether you are dealing with cars, trucks or motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts